SAU Community

How Long Does It Take To Import A Car From Japan?

i was told by my import company that my car will be on the end of Nov boat. I purchased my car last week.. I dunno it sounds a bit to eh, i recokon it wont make the boat, Im sure there are heaps of other ppl waiting b4 me.. They said it would take 2weeks and be here the second week of December. I'm not expecting to get it til new year sometime..

just as a comparison, i won my auction on october 15th.

the car got on a boat nov 10th. will be in aus nov 23rd. then down to melb (from bris) by the end of nov/start of dec.

2-3 weeks for compliance plate, and then its all up to you to get Rego etc and its on the road

basically it all depends on when the car leaves japan. Trust me, there are lots of work to be done on their side. Eg, de-registering the car, queue to board the RORO ship. Journey will take up 2 weeks to Australian ports.

Compliance will depend on how fast and how much work the workshop has. The mechanic can tell you it will be done in 2 weeks and suddenly he rings you up informing you that there are problems here and there.

From my past experiences, expect the car to be on the road after 2 months from the day you purchased the car.

Shipping date: November 19th.

I won the auction on September 26th.

I sure hope for all your sakes that I am the odd one out. The importer said it took alot longer than usual... If you can believe him (nothing personal - and hes been great)

AFTAMATH, I find it hard to believe your car will be the november boat.

And now, a request for postings: What car are you currently importing (or should I start up a new thread?

For me, R32 GTS4. seems to be stock as a rock. I need 600cc more.

Shipping date as in the date when the ship leaves Japan or arrive in Australia?

So far due to the recent Customs system crisis, i have been forced to wait for my customer's car which is in the wharfs for weeks.

Edited by BL01

Shipping date: November 19th.

I won the auction on September 26th.

I sure hope for all your sakes that I am the odd one out. The importer said it took alot longer than usual... If you can believe him (nothing personal - and hes been great)

AFTAMATH, I find it hard to believe your car will be the november boat.

That's understandable - everyone's booked the boats full of the last remnants of the 15 year rule. Everything's pretty slow at the moment - BLO1, Adelaide is only delayed by a few days in Customs - I hope they get themselves sorted out soon. The old system worked fine IMO.

Ah - as in put ON the boat. Perhaps I should post replies a little quicker.

and while i'm here, I cant find an explanation for all of my auction sheet. It seems to be glossed over in the internet descriptions, and a forum search yielded 4 pages - with no applicable topics.

Equipment:

PS PW AW SR SRC

? Thanks.

more updates as news happens. like, three weeks. I hope. Cant wait.

Yeah, I knew the first two. its the rest I cant find an explanation for.

I got most of the auction sheet (the images helped, though)... I was just wandering what equipment was actually specified.

Guess I'll find out properley soon enough.