SAU Community

Abs Conversion On Non-abs Gts-t

Good idea, but its a pain in the arse. I'm trying to get rid of the abs in my r32 (the abs unit is shagged) and even that will be a pain.. The master cylinder needs too be changed along with all steel sections of brake line and then in your case the abs computer and sensors would all need to be installed... So basiclly, unless you have a written off r33 with abs fitted then it really is too hard. :D

ABS is not just the unit sitting in the engine bay. It is a full-blown electronic sensing system. It relies on sensors in the front and rear wheels to inform a computer what is going on, and that computer then makes a decision as to whether or not it needs to tell the ABS unit to bleed off some pressure, and which wheel(s) need it bled.

ABS was designed for Joe Average Useless Driver, who has no idea about braking in emergencies, other than to jam his foot on the brake pedal as hard as possible. No finesse at all about that.

I learned threshhold braking and I am always watching ahead for possible "situations". As a result, I have a very difficult time getting my ABS to activate - I simply don't get into situations where I need it.

So go and spend a lot less than the cost of converting to ABS on an advanced driver training course and learn to threshhold brake (amongst other valuable skills) - the world will be a merrier place.