SAU Community

Wheel Sizes & Offsets For Skylines

ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth'

What does Offset mean?

Offset is the distance between the hub mounting face at the back of the wheel and the wheel's centreline.

offset_diagram.gif

Offset is usually stamped or engraved into the wheel and is measured in millimetres of 'ET' [ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth']

Positive Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the front face of the wheel. Most front wheel drive vehicles have positive ET wheels. Eighties and Nineties Volkswagen wheels are usually ET38.

Zero Offset wheels have their mounting face even with the centerline of the wheel and are by definition "ET 0".

Negative Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the rear of the wheel - powerful rear-wheel drive cars often have wheels with negative offset.

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can provide some insight. Currently selling my 17x9 CR Kai's and have been offered a set of Buddyclub Qf's (also 17x) for trade. The only thing is that they are off an evo and I can't fit trial fit them because the car is at the panel beaters. What offset would be best for my car? And how do I work out the offset of the rim? It has the number '26' stamped randomly in there, is that it?

skyline model = 33GTST S2

wheel diameter = 19

wheel width = F:9.5 R:10.5

wheel offset = F+12 R+22

tyre size = 235/245

modification to fit:

F - Almost complete inner guard removal, rolling of guards and relocation of a wiring loom.

R - Roll of the guards.

Ideally, I should probably take it up 2mm or something, on larger bumps / transitions in the road it can rub very slightly (mainly front)

Very slight rub at moderate lock on the front also.

post-91308-0-63214500-1347099238_thumb.jpg

post-91308-0-66932600-1347099197_thumb.jpg

Okay so I finally think I've found a good fitment for an r34 gtt.

Firstly, I test fitted one of my brother wheels which is 18x10 + 12 w/ 265 rubber all around on the car, and there was roughly 33mm of poke at the front guards, and 20mm at the rear.

I'm going to buy some +25mm wide fenders for the front, while pumping the rear guards out an extra 20-25mm as well.

Basically I want to run Varrstoen 2.2.1's on the car in the following fitment:

18x10.5 +30 at the front

18x10.5 +22 at the rear

Now I'm thinking of +22 at the rear in order to run a 265 width tyre, but can anyone shed some light on whether +15 with a 255 would look better?

Also need some advice on what width tyre to run on the front, and will i get any suspension issues (hitting suspension arms etc) on full lock?

FYI a 10.5 +22 will sit pretty much the same as a 10 +12

Edited by TM7GTR

Okay so I finally think I've found a good fitment for an r34 gtt.

Firstly, I test fitted one of my brother wheels which is 18x10 + 12 w/ 265 rubber all around on the car, and there was roughly 33mm of poke at the front guards, and 20mm at the rear.

I'm going to buy some +25mm wide fenders for the front, while pumping the rear guards out an extra 20-25mm as well.

Basically I want to run Varrstoen 2.2.1's on the car in the following fitment:

18x10.5 +30 at the front

18x10.5 +22 at the rear

Now I'm thinking of +22 at the rear in order to run a 265 width tyre, but can anyone shed some light on whether +15 with a 255 would look better?

Also need some advice on what width tyre to run on the front, and will i get any suspension issues (hitting suspension arms etc) on full lock?

FYI a 10.5 +22 will sit pretty much the same as a 10 +12

To my knowledge, the offset didn't effect the width of tyre that can be run on a rim.. Just the width.. If you could elaborate on this if I am wrong, I would gladly appreciate the knowledge. I am running 245/40/18 on my 10.5+30's.

As for your issues, running a 10.5+30 on your fronts you will have major issues, and I don't even believe it will fit inside the guards without hitting the suspension arms/front strut. From where the stock rim sits, the new rim will sit 30mm closer towards the suspension, I would check that you have ample clearance first. IF you have clearance, you will have scrubbing issues on turning, you will most likely need to remove the liner from the front guard and reallocate the harness, and the guards would need rolling, that is a given.

Hey guys, anyone here run work emotion 11ft's on a r33 gtst? Im getting 9.5 +25 on 225/40 fronts and 235/40 rears on 18nch tyres anyone know if this woulld be all good? All the gaurds are rolled and car lowered. Any help appreciated plz

To my knowledge, the offset didn't effect the width of tyre that can be run on a rim.. Just the width.. If you could elaborate on this if I am wrong, I would gladly appreciate the knowledge. I am running 245/40/18 on my 10.5+30's.

As for your issues, running a 10.5+30 on your fronts you will have major issues, and I don't even believe it will fit inside the guards without hitting the suspension arms/front strut. From where the stock rim sits, the new rim will sit 30mm closer towards the suspension, I would check that you have ample clearance first. IF you have clearance, you will have scrubbing issues on turning, you will most likely need to remove the liner from the front guard and reallocate the harness, and the guards would need rolling, that is a given.

Offset doesn't effect the width of tyre that can be run on a rim, but if the rim is mounted closer to or further from the hub (+/- offset) surely the width of tyre would need to be taken into consideration?

e.g. you can run a 265 on a 9.5 with a high offset without scrubbing issues as the rim itself sits in the guard further, whereas a negative offset 9.5 rim would fill out the guard more and the 265 would likely scrub.

As for the fronts, I wouldn't have any problems at all with guard rubbing because +25mm wide fenders are slightly wider than r34 gtr front fenders if i'm correct?

Would it be safer to run 9.5 +12 and then use spacers to bring the mounting point further from the suspension arms?

Offset doesn't effect the width of tyre that can be run on a rim, but if the rim is mounted closer to or further from the hub (+/- offset) surely the width of tyre would need to be taken into consideration?

e.g. you can run a 265 on a 9.5 with a high offset without scrubbing issues as the rim itself sits in the guard further, whereas a negative offset 9.5 rim would fill out the guard more and the 265 would likely scrub.

As for the fronts, I wouldn't have any problems at all with guard rubbing because +25mm wide fenders are slightly wider than r34 gtr front fenders if i'm correct?

Would it be safer to run 9.5 +12 and then use spacers to bring the mounting point further from the suspension arms?

The tyre that you want to run comes to personal choice, not down to offset. If you want your rim to sit in the guard nicer, you should get a better offset, not worry about what tyre to run, it should be your last issues. Get an offset that will fit, then get a tyre size to fit around that. I am running 245's because i will be poking about 5mm and need some stretch to bring it inside the guards, so I don't have to raise my car to get it above the tyre.

The issue may be inside the guard, rather then how far the guard pokes.. But I guess if you are getting a new guard, the interior lining will need to be removed anyway..

9.5+12 will sit fine inside the guard with pretty much no issues, then yes, you can use spacers if you like to bring it out to your desired poke, but if it is at the offset you want, you will be fine, I am running 9.5+22 fronts with issues only on full lock.

Make sure you get some pictures up when this is done, it sounds beastly!

Edited by voncina

Hey guys, anyone here run work emotion 11ft's on a r33 gtst? Im getting 9.5 +25 on 225/40 fronts and 235/40 rears on 18nch tyres anyone know if this woulld be all good? All the gaurds are rolled and car lowered. Any help appreciated plz

Should fit fine with guards rolled and running those size tires

The tyre that you want to run comes to personal choice, not down to offset. If you want your rim to sit in the guard nicer, you should get a better offset, not worry about what tyre to run, it should be your last issues. Get an offset that will fit, then get a tyre size to fit around that. I am running 245's because i will be poking about 5mm and need some stretch to bring it inside the guards, so I don't have to raise my car to get it above the tyre.

The issue may be inside the guard, rather then how far the guard pokes.. But I guess if you are getting a new guard, the interior lining will need to be removed anyway..

9.5+12 will sit fine inside the guard with pretty much no issues, then yes, you can use spacers if you like to bring it out to your desired poke, but if it is at the offset you want, you will be fine, I am running 9.5+22 fronts with issues only on full lock.

Make sure you get some pictures up when this is done, it sounds beastly!

Yeah sorry man, I was just trying to explain what you said above... in a much more retarded way haha

Won't be done for a while yet, but it's gonna have aggressive fitment, new front, rear, and spoiler, and a respray.

feelsgoodman

GENTS THE MOST URGENT OF HELP IS REQUIRED......

im about to purchase some rays sebring, heres the details

18 x 8.5 +40 front

18 x 9.5 +45 rear.

will these FIT A 94 GTST.......................help me ladies and gents!