SAU Community

R33 Gtst 250rwkw Gt30r

mass_iv

I cbf quoting a few points, so i will just state my opinion on a couple of issues raised and hopefully you know what i am refering to. :D

1/ At 14psi i honesty do not think you will reach 250rwkw, i think you may require about 18psi.

Damn i was close to the mark B) , bit more tuning, 18psi and 250 is acheivable :D.

Good result, you should be very happy with that kind of power. Still waiting to get mine back :O, but i am doing a few mods :D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh i am pretty happy with the results, and i think with the cams i should reach close too the 250rwkw mark..... plus i dont wanna push the car much more anyways, well not until i get myself a new bottom end, and wack in some more boost and maybe even a new plenum...

i understand wat u mean, i have been waiting for about 2 months for my car to be finished, i had heaps of work done...

yeh i asked to be safe, i dont want the bottom end to give way on me just yet.... im planning to rebuild the engine with some forgies and rods, and even maybe some cams... then ill up the boost a little and push for the 300rwkw...

just a few questions -

1. What size Exhaust housing are you using? Its it a .63 or a .8*

2. What size compressor housing are you using?

3. And what kind of turbo is it? Garret or HKS? Is it 550 hp?

Just wondering, as I am bolting one on this weekend. (garret GT30, with a .63 ass end)

i used a garret GT30R, its ball bearing, i dunno if urs is, but its the 550hp version, and i used a .82 rear housing, not sure about the compressor, its a little laggy but man when it hits full boost its amazing... a .63 rear will be heaps better and less laggy.... by the way nothing will bolt straight on, it takes a lot more work then u first think.

yeah we know, need spacers, oil and water lines, new intake, pretty much a lot of work.

I got the VG30 rear so it will use my custom dump and flange.

The my mate that is doing it, is a boiler maker \ fabricator. He's built a 300rwkw rb25 from the ground up, a GTiR motor with a 600hp turbo from the ground up, done shit loads of jobs on VLs, GT starlets, Falcons, Holdens etc.

Bit of a back yarder, and I have never EVER seen work from trust, apexi, HKS or whatever brand that is better than his work.

Guess I'm lucky to have a mate like that hey.. heh..

He's one of those quiet types, you know, the decent ones.

I'm a little worried though. I wanted to get about 250rwkw with about 1 bar of boost and a good tune. The car runs really well (2% leakdown with 169psi accross all cyclinders) and the mods I have provided for the upgrade are -

Garett GT30 550hp (VG30 rear end)

Nismo 555cc Injectors

Apexi Power FC

Full exhaust, split custom dump, hi flo cat

Full 4 inch intake and partitioned pod filter

Q45 AFM (90mm)

FMIC

Unopened motor

I'm one of those types, that thinks the less boost the better, as less boost equals less engine wear because its not being forced as hard.

Also, running boost above 16psi on a stocko rb25 is dangerous... As Blown gaskets, and bent rods is just around the corner...

I really don't want to have to open the motor up. if I did, I would bother upgrading, I'd just leave it at 210rwkw and sell the car

Edited by The Mafia

its a little laggy but man when it hits full boost its amazing... a .63 rear will be heaps better and less laggy.... by the way nothing will bolt straight on, it takes a lot more work then u first think.

a .63 would be worse to drive on the street.

It ramps up just that little bit earlier and then wheelspin in an issue. A few people have seen this with a .63

The .82 from all reports is definately the way to go if you can, if not then .63 you'll have to get used to with the right foot :(

It wont be "that" much sooner in response. The way it'll deliver power will be sharper though.

yeah we know, need spacers, oil and water lines, new intake, pretty much a lot of work.

I got the VG30 rear so it will use my custom dump and flange.

The my mate that is doing it, is a boiler maker \ fabricator. He's built a 300rwkw rb25 from the ground up, a GTiR motor with a 600hp turbo from the ground up, done shit loads of jobs on VLs, GT starlets, Falcons, Holdens etc.

Bit of a back yarder, and I have never EVER seen work from trust, apexi, HKS or whatever brand that is better than his work.

Guess I'm lucky to have a mate like that hey.. heh..

He's one of those quiet types, you know, the decent ones.

I'm a little worried though. I wanted to get about 250rwkw with about 1 bar of boost and a good tune. The car runs really well (2% leakdown with 169psi accross all cyclinders) and the mods I have provided for the upgrade are -

Garett GT30 550hp (VG30 rear end)

Nismo 555cc Injectors

Apexi Power FC

Full exhaust, split custom dump, hi flo cat

Full 4 inch intake and partitioned pod filter

Q45 AFM (90mm)

FMIC

Unopened motor

I'm one of those types, that thinks the less boost the better, as less boost equals less engine wear because its not being forced as hard.

Also, running boost above 16psi on a stocko rb25 is dangerous... As Blown gaskets, and bent rods is just around the corner...

I really don't want to have to open the motor up. if I did, I would bother upgrading, I'd just leave it at 210rwkw and sell the car

to be honest i dont think the .63 is much better, and also i dont think 250rwkw is possible at 1 bar, with the mods provided... i havent reached 250 yet and im running over 16psi...

this is scary. almost double the turbo size, and only get 30rwkw?

I have a ex cam gear too if that makes any difference. At 0 degrees at he moment. Let just hope my tuner can do what is needed.

As I said, I'm running 210rwkw at only 12psi on a stocko turbo..

You shouldn't need to run over 16psi on a turbo twice the size to get 250rwkw.. ??

I guess we can only see what my tuner comes up with.

this is scary. almost double the turbo size, and only get 30rwkw?

I have a ex cam gear too if that makes any difference. At 0 degrees at he moment. Let just hope my tuner can do what is needed.

As I said, I'm running 210rwkw at only 12psi on a stocko turbo..

You shouldn't need to run over 16psi on a turbo twice the size to get 250rwkw.. ??

I guess we can only see what my tuner comes up with.

Throw it on the dyno you made 210rwkw and you will make 300+ with the GT3O :P:D:D

jk

Throw it on the dyno you made 210rwkw and you will make 300+ with the GT3O :P:D:D

jk

You may "say" you're joking, but it is probably true.

A while ago I was running ecu, stock turbo, 13psi, and usual mods. On my mechanic's dyno it made a solid 183rwkw and felt strong. A week later I went to a dyno day and it made 214rwkw (same fuel, etc). Now that was a joke, dynos are only good as a tunning tool. On dyno days it is good to compare your car to others, as they are all run on the same dyno, by the same driver, on the same day. That is the only time you can compare figures, otherwise a peak power comparison ain't shit.

The Mafia: So once you upgrade your turbo, take it to the same dyno and compare and evaluate the result, but don't be disappointed if you take it to another dyno and "mysteriously" loss 30rwkw.

Not sure, but i had a mechanic do 2 consecutive runs, one in "shoot out" mode, the other "normal", their was only a 4rwkw differance btw the two.

Also we did a run in 4th, the 3rd and there was only a 2rwkw differance. Provided the tunner is honest and tell the dyno the run is in third :huh:

The Mafia , count the number of compressor blades and hope it has 6 , 6 full and 6 half height . The Garrett people believe that the GT30R (700382-12) needs an 82 or 1.06 rear housing not to choke its potential .

Running the VG30 BB housing is a grey area because its native turbine is much smaller in diametre and the machined away nozzle may not want to know about the GT30 turbine . If you run the Garrett GT30 .63ARR housing surge may not be too far away . From a convienence point of view the HKS integral gate GT Pro S housings stand the best chance of working properly , their nozzles and volutes are different read better than Garretts Diesel housings .

Cheers A .