SAU Community

R32 Gtst Whiteline & Bilstein Suspension

Sydneykid

Heights on mine are 335 apart from the front right which is 330 odd. I will see how they settle over the next day or so

to get to 350 I would have to go much higher on the grooves

I didn't get swaybars, i will see hows it like when I get it all alligned

One thing to note, at the lower setting, my bump stops got stuck up the top and pulled away from my dust boots, I haven't checked them since I raised it up a bit, hopefully they are still intact at the higher setting. Would be a pain in the ass to pull them out for a 3rd time!

I don't mind pulling the fronts in and out, the rears are a pain, esp. with the strut brace.

Hey did you know you can get the susp. in and out WITHOUT removing the wheels? Just turn your steering full-lock each way for the fronts, and jack your car up good and high at the rear. :D

Bilstein ran out of shocks in Australia for the R32GTST and I was going to close the Group Buy accordingly. But Germany found a handfull in stock, so they have been airfreighted to Australia and arrived last week. The exchange rate was good enough so that the airfreight cost was covered, so no change in the Group Buy price.

This means I can keep the Group Buy open for a bit longer. But don't delay too long, there are not many sets left. We could be looking at a 5 to 6 month wait for the next production run.

:D cheers :D

• 3 weeks later...

Got my kit this morning, fitted it in a hour or two.

Cant be happier after trying lowered kings, to hks hipermax coilovers, to these. The ride height is perfection on the standard settings. The suspension feels very solid without the harsh ride. I will post some more feedback when i drive it some more. It was raining on the way home from the shop so i couldnt throw it around to much. I did test how easy the rears spin etc and im very happy. Car behaves when you get off the gas etc very well.

Only thing that wasnt really flash was the bump stops and dust covers whiteline supply. Anyone who wants a set of front and rear for $50 let me know.

Mick

Got my kit this morning, fitted it in a hour or two.

Cant be happier after trying lowered kings, to hks hipermax coilovers, to these. The ride height is perfection on the standard settings. The suspension feels very solid without the harsh ride. I will post some more feedback when i drive it some more. It was raining on the way home from the shop so i couldnt throw it around to much. I did test how easy the rears spin etc and im very happy. Car behaves when you get off the gas etc very well.

Only thing that wasnt really flash was the bump stops and dust covers whiteline supply. Anyone who wants a set of front and rear for $50 let me know.

Mick

Hi Mick, glad to hear everthing arrived OK and fitted up, interested in hearing your feedback after a week or so of driving around.

On the Bump Stops, they are very progressive and therefore much better than the standard bump stops (which are very hard) when you have a lowered car. The hit (to bump stop) is much softer. That's why I use them. Don't forget to trim them to the appropriate size for the height.

The dust covers are not as good as the standard ones, but the best available in the aftermarket in the correct size. If the standard dust covers are OK, I would always use them, but with the aftermarket bump stops.

:P cheers :O

• 3 weeks later...
im after a set of coilovers, is there anything i can get from here?... for my 32gtst it will be used for drift on the track..as well as being a road car

Skylines come standard with "coil overs", the coil spring goes around the shock. The term "coil over" is a bit too generic, like saying I need "black tyres".

Do you want on car height adjustable "coil overs"?

Or off car height adjustable "coil overs"?

What about shock damping? Adjustable bump? Adjustable rebound?

Both? Together or separate adjustment? In cabin adjustable?

Do want to buy used $400 "coil overs" or new $10K "coil overs"? Or something in between? They are all "coil overs".

So I need a bit more info before I can really be of much help.

:) cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my kit last week and got it installed on the weekend.

My height before putting the kit in was 320mm at the fronts and 290mm at the rears. Bouncy :D:)

Now with the kit in and on the setting one groove bellow the one it comes out of box, but which still looks like a standard groove coz it's painted yellow, is 330mm front and 320mm rears. I expected it to be higher than that.

The ride is obviously much better than what I had before but it seams to be a bit harsh especially up to 40 km/h on rough roads.

I didn't cut my bump stops and that could be the reason for extra harshnes. I checked at the back with the car on the flat surface and there is only about 2cm space between the shock and the bump stop. Is that sufficient enough or should I cut them? How much travel does the shock need? I couldn't check the fronts.

Also, I couldn't go any lower than one groove coz the spring wasn't getting captured.

I haven't done the wheel alignement yet as I'm waiting for my HICAS bar to go in. So just to confirm the settings before I go:

Front:

Caster:

Around 7 degres with slighty more on LHS

Camber:

Around 1 degree neg

Toe:

1 to 2 mm out

Rear:

Camber:

0.5 degree neg

Toe:

1 to 2mm out

Does this sound right?

Just to confirm it's a 4 door R32 gtst.

I got my kit last week and got it installed on the weekend.

My height before putting the kit in was 320mm at the fronts and 290mm at the rears.  Bouncy  :rofl:  :)

Now with the kit in and on the setting one groove bellow the one it comes out of box, but which still looks like a standard groove coz it's painted yellow, is 330mm front and 320mm rears. I expected it to be higher than that.

The ride is obviously much better than what I had before but it seams to be a bit harsh especially up to 40 km/h on rough roads.

I didn't cut my bump stops and that could be the reason for extra harshnes. I checked at the back with the car on the flat surface and there is only about 2cm space between the shock and the bump stop. Is that sufficient enough or should I cut them? How much travel does the shock need? I couldn't check the fronts.

Also, I couldn't go any lower than one groove coz the spring wasn't getting captured.

I haven't done the wheel alignement yet as I'm waiting for my HICAS bar to go in. So just to confirm the settings before I go:

Front:

Caster:

Around 7 degres with slighty more on LHS

Camber:

Around 1 degree neg

Toe:

1 to 2 mm out

Rear:

Camber:

0.5 degree neg

Toe:

1 to 2mm out

Does this sound right?

Just to confirm it's a 4 door R32 gtst.

Yep, those target alignment settings are OK. Plus or minus a bit, as every car is different.

The 330 mm front and 320 mm rear is lower than I would recommend, plus the springs will settle around 5 mm after few k's. The rear camber (in particular) will be a lot negative.

The bumps stops MUST be trimmed, as per the pictures earlier in the thread.

Personally I would go up at least 2 circlip grooves, preferably 3. Around 350 front and 340mm rear is the best handling/ride comfort height. You need to do that before the wheel alignment is done.

;) cheers ;)

• 2 weeks later...

About a year ago i had my front upper control arm bushes, radius rod bushes and a few other parts replaced as the original ones (which had done ~155000km) had worn fairly badly.

I'm now looking at getting the whiteline kit, but don't really want to replace the parts that have already been replaced. I know that the radius rod bushes were replaced with adjustable items so i shouldn't need the castor adjustment from the whiteline kit, but im not sure what was used for the upper control arm bushes.

I know the control arms bushes werent genuine nissan parts, but i dont know if they were adjustable or not, so my first question is how do i tell if my upper control arm bushes are adjustable, similar to the eccentric bushes in the whiteline kit? And secondly, do i need the camber adjustment if the ride height isnt excessively low? I plan to use your recommended ride height (front 355mm rear 345mm centre of wheel to guard).

Tom.