SAU Community

17's On An R32?

Hey I just got some rims, not sure of the offset, 17in tho, was told they will fit on my R32, they do bolt on, but the rears stick out quite a bit... and the fronts rub a little when i drive... are they not suited? they came off an R33 apparently...

Is that what the problem would be? Incorrect Offset? that would cause those kinds of problems yeh?

And also is the offset different between R32's and R33's?

Edited by Josh

your problem is due to rims with incorrect offset, you can roll your guards / flare them a bit, but if you don't want to do that, you'll have to sell those rims and buy them in correct offset.

use:

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

to find out what offsets will work on your car. (enter stock rim width & offset to compare)

Those calculators are ok, but I didn't think the results were significant if you are going up ie: from 16" to 17", and also increasing the width?

I should probably start a seperate topic for this, but seeing as some of you have mentioned spacers, I was under the impression that spacers were illegal? I have the proper hub plates, that bolt onto the hub and then have their own bolts that come out so you can put the wheel on....Have any of you heard this or had any trouble with the pits / defect notices due to spacers?

Those calculators are ok, but I didn't think the results were significant if you are going up ie: from 16" to 17", and also increasing the width?

I should probably start a seperate topic for this, but seeing as some of you have mentioned spacers, I was under the impression that spacers were illegal? I have the proper hub plates, that bolt onto the hub and then have their own bolts that come out so you can put the wheel on....Have any of you heard this or had any trouble with the pits / defect notices due to spacers?

rim size (eg 16" to 17") doesn't matter. WIDTH and OFFSET alone determine how much the wheel will stick out the guards.

in victoria, spacers of any kind are illegal. (reglardless of if they are bolt-on or not)

josh - I can't remember offset of standard r32 gts-t rims. but r32 gtr are 16 x 8 +30 not sure about gts- (they are 16x6.5 but don't know offset)

in my experience 32 gtr fitted my gts-t rear ok, they fill the guards quite nicely.

Rolling guards will help, but it really depends on how badly it scrubs / wheels stick out.

here is a pic of my car with 18x10 +1 offset rims. I did this just to see how they would look, they are ok with guards rolled, but you can see how much it sticks out

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/merli...12/IM000091.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/merli...12/IM000069.jpg

Edited by MerlinTheHapyPig

If your looking for 17" wheels to fit an r32 gtst, try to get 17x8 +25 or +32 fronts and 17x9 +38 for the back, they fit perfect on my car.

No modifications, no rubbing. Although they are pretty close to the guards on the back (within 15mm) and i only have 235s on the back so theyre pretty stretched.

rim size (eg 16" to 17") doesn't matter.  WIDTH and OFFSET alone determine how much the wheel will stick out the guards.

Dont forget that the internal diameter of the rim can also cause havoc iwth hitting tie rod ends, suspension arms etc. An 18" rim is goign to give you more clearance then say a 15" or 16" rim, if you are going wider then std with a changed offset to cater for guard clearance...there is always trad offs :P

I put R34gtt rims on my 32 sedan. I think coupes have a bit more clearance in the rear.

They are 17x7.5 +40mm 225/45/17s tyres

They are a perfect fit but you need R32GTR/R33 gtst brakes so the calipers can clear the back of the wheel or you can use a 3mm spacer.

There are plenty of 17s that fit over the stock brakes though.

From looking at the clearance I have with the gtt rims I'd say

for 8" rims +25-30mm offset should fit.

For 9"rims +15-20mm should clear at the rear but might rub on the inside at full lock on the front.

To keep it legal though your offset needs to be within 12.5mm of stock as you can't change your track width by more than 25mm without having it engineered.