SAU Community

Best 1st Car?

D3RV

Goto say I put off getting a car for almost 6 years.. finally ended up getting my R33 gts-t..

my thoughts are - if you don't need one yet.. save a bit more.. get something special, reliable and in great condition.. don't settle for second best just cos..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15K on a first car is pretty good. Someone is spoilt.

I drove a 86 toyota corona then moved onto a 82 honda accord in the povo uni days. Wish I had your problem when buying my first car :P

you never know mate, he might have worked and saved up that money..

my first car was and still is my 1990 ford tx5 ghia....cost me about $7k at the time....paid for it myself....its basically gutless lol, but has the looks, which is what i wanted for the first car...not something i'd be tempted to do stupid shit in....now that im a bit older, im lookin at skylines....

i rekin buy somethin cheap, keep most of the money, then in a year or 2, get somethin even better as you'll have more money

i rekin buy somethin cheap, keep most of the money, then in a year or 2, get somethin even better as you'll have more money

pretty much what he said....

my first car was a good ol' classic Mini Cooper (not to powerful but had some grunt for the size) It was a simple 1275cc 1.3liter 4 cyl engine and it was a great car to learn in and was very cheap to run (20 - 26 bucks to fill up and went around 250km's)

I did around 6,000km's in it and have seen my fair share of idiots on the road. Just as everyone else says with regarding cops etc. as long as you dont drive like an idiot and speed etc. all the time i dont see any reason for them to pull you over.

I'm going for a skyline soon as well...just gota finish school (year 12) and then i will be taking my time in getting one (dont rush as thats the worst mistake you can make, you will most likley end up with a lemon that way)

If you do go for a skyline as a first car, make sure you get it checked out by the RACV when you find a good one you like and are happy with and also read this helpful guide for buying a skyline on this forum (link below)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=35129

Hope this helps in some way :P

Edited by melbmaniac

My 1st car came after riding a motorbike for around a year... in the form of a 1984 Gemini!! That thing was mad in the wet haha, taught me a hell of a lot about sliding a car around. With its 12KW Isuzu motor it must have been the shagged tires that made it err dare i say 'driftable' haha.

My 1st turbo car was (still is, not for too much longer maybe) a MkIII Supra. Thankfully i got the 1jz 2.5lt TT motor and not a 7M 3lt. I got it with a few mods here and there and it goes like a shower of shit. Handles well with A/M suspension but is forgiving enough when you push it too hard... as i did quite a few times when i was new to it :P

I'd say some panel damage is pretty likely with a 1st car (luckily none for me so far) something that is common and cheap would be ideal (Silvia/180, R32, etc)..

/My $3.95 inc. GST

My first was a 1.3L '93 Charade, used to cost me $20 for a full tank and took me to uni and back no problems. I used to think it was the bomb too yo, but in a good way hehe.

This was when petrol was 67 cents a litre. loved that car

Next car was Eunos 30X that was hella fun but I had constant power craving

Back to topic, if I wanted a first car now I'd kill for a teg VTiR

My first car was an 83' corona wagon, that ...thing... taught me alot about how to get a car hanging out, had a few scary moments in it, but it was good fun, till it blew up... made wicked loud keybangs after that! Next was an R30 auto hatch, gotta say it was a peice of crap... not much fun to drive, couldn't do much in it tho.... did get it to 180 tho, which I thought was pretty good for 20yr old car

15K on a first car is pretty good. Someone is spoilt.

I drove a 86 toyota corona then moved onto a 82 honda accord in the povo uni days. Wish I had your problem when buying my first car ;)

ummm not necessairly.... thats about what i payed for my car.... i saved half and the other half is a loan im paying off.

one thing that pisses me off... ( and i know u wrnt intending it to be that way ), is that coz you've got a skyline on your p's your spoiled and mum and dad payed for it for you, i worked 2 jobs for a year to save the amount i needed and ive almost payed off the other half so son the car will be fully mine. :).

buy an R33 gts-t, or even a naturally aspirated one if your not in it for the power. you wont regret it. :D.

my first car was an r32 gtst, was the most immaculate one ever, its now sold and its not immaculate no more, enough said, altho i still have an r32 now, my 3rd one i regret having one as my first car, as some one said, get something cheaper for a year, may i a suggest a cheap ae86 they aint to fast, wont cost u shit loads to maintain, u can hurt the body a little and wont make u cry, and you can get one sideways easy :D and as for the r32 or whatever you want.. they aint gonna go no where man

not allways true

my first car was and still is my R33 gts-t .. paid $18k for it .. have had it 5 months.. was scarey handing over $18k of my hard earnt cash.. but i have not regretted it at all since

just depends how much you want it and how hard youve worked for it i spose

-Ruffels

Yeah I agree with you. I have worked very hard to get the first car I wanted, a Stagea RS-Four :D I'm sure I will be very happy with it when it finally arrives :cheers:

get a skyline.. r33.

u wont want a fast car when ur all old and mature at 25, ive seen it happen.

ur young u need a nice car, and in a few years time u'l grow out of these toys and get something normal :) not a jet on wheels

far out, there's a mines_datsun in the making

who do you think buys these cars new??? under 25's?? they dont have the money.

jet's on wheels dont belong to the immature. they've stopped making R32's/33's/34's having them written off by teenagers isnt going to be good for the car enthusast community of australia.

dude, get a ~1984 bluebird! they handle freakin awesome. ive now bought an R32 gts-t but the bluebird was my first car and it handled so much better than my skyline when it was stock. dont underestimate it... and its cheap as sh!t... :)

i'm 19.. i have earned enough money to buy one of these, which i am about to do.. for your information, i'm pretty sure being a teenager does not make me immature.. infact, i have seen many more, over 25's act like complete idiots in their "jets on wheels" than i have seen teenagers act stupid.

Also, most of what you have said does not make sense.

i've just turned 18, just bought my first car, r33 sII and have no regrets.

if you have the money n u love ur cars like i do (soo many people tried to talk me out of it) go buy one, u definately wont regret it

just be very careful while driving, as if u boost it round the corners, an un steady set up car will hangs its ass out very easily

i've just turned 18, just bought my first car, r33 sII and have no regrets.

if you have the money n u love ur cars like i do (soo many people tried to talk me out of it) go buy one, u definately wont regret it

just be very careful while driving, as if u boost it round the corners, an un steady set up car will hangs its ass out very easily

I second that

when i was 17, got my red P1s i brought my first car....a manual 1989 celica

sold than when i was 19, now im on my green P2s and i have my r33 gtst...modified, still i dont think its very fast for me

for 15k i would get

hmmm first car, ummm save 10k for ur next 1 and only spend 5 and get a pulsar or somthing