SAU Community

Opinions Please...

SouthernR33

hey guys just after some opinions...

I am keen to get abit more torque and power out of my R33 but at the same time i don't wanna spend a fortune doin it...

I was thinking of getting a highflow done to mine and replacing the ceramic wheel so i can up boost or if it's more cost effective trying to find a good deal on a new turbo.

Injectors i have no idea about.. I could try and find some Bosch ones but anywhere i can save money would be good...

as for performance... anything over 230rwkws for peak power and an increase in torque from my 300nm that i'm gettin now.

thanks guys.. any help would be great.

oh yeah and my R33 has FMIC, Power FC, AVCR, Bosch 040 pump, 3inch exhaust, fuel reg...

Cheers

Hey fella, i would be doing Sard 550cc's and a Z32 AFM, Injectors could be about $1000 and $300-400 for AFM depends on where you go. and about $500-600 for a FC re-map, you will then SAFELY be able to get 230kw espesially with what you have on it now. Go check out Graham West Workshop and speak with Ashley and he will be able to eplain this to you!

thanks mate..

I can get a Z32 AFM easy and injectors i was expecting to pay about the $1000 mark.

My concerns are with the turbo. I know the stockie won't go harder than around 200rwkw's so i'm now unsure which is the best way to go now that i desire more performance...

Does anyone have a highflow in their R33... Where are some good places to ring to find out about what can be done to the stockie to get more performance.... How much should i be expecting to pay??

Cheers again.

I have recently gone down the same path as you and did a bit of research. For what its worth I found the GCG hiflow turbo is the best value for money (without the risk of going second hand). Many adelaide workshops told me that the hiflows they see (not from GCG) dont make any more power than a stock turbo (but dont break due to the steal turbine). The GCG unit makes 20% more power for the same boost level.

Injectors are a pain because the RB25s are expensive, but you will need them to make much more than 220/230 RWKw.

PS - I am assuming you already have a programable ECU and the fuel pump has been upgraded. (not sure you NEED to get a Z32 AFM but if the cash is there why not.)

Sard 550cc injectors cost under $700 from Nengun Performance, who are Japanese wholesalers.

GCG hiflow turbo will be good for 220kw, will set you back $1950, & come on tap 300rpm later than standard.

GCG hiflow turbo will be good for 220kw, will set you back $1950, & come on tap 300rpm later than standard.

GCG is good for more than 260rwkw, I make 220 at 14psi and it can go a lot higher than that. If installed through a workshop the whole job should cost you about $2000 (installed and tuned), or you can buy direct from GCG for $1950 and then need to get it tuned (another $400)

The GCG highflow is basically a GT30 500hp chra machined in to the rb25 comp and turbine cover.

A better option I think, allthough not a 100% bolt up due to the different comp cover is to use the GT30 ~550hp 6blade -12 chra, a .6 comp cover and machine it in to either a R33 Rb25 turbine housing or R34/VG30 turbine housing.

The R34/VG30 turbine housings are slightly bigger than the R33 rb25 turbine housings. :)

Depending on dyno's it appears the gcg highflow setup max's out some where just over 240rwkw. If you want more you need to step up to the slightly larger r34/vg30 turbine housing. This does however create a little more lag, the r34/vg30 gcg hibrid comes on hard around 3800rpm.

The same as a XR6 turbo on a Rb30DET. mawahaha. :P hrmm.. o...kay..

Or the other option is to grab a horsepowerinabox setup which uses the gt30 500hp core, .7 comp cover and r33 rb25 turbine housing machined up.

That makes slightly more power than the gcg setup purely due to the larger comp cover. It makes a solid~ 260rwkw, with cams its up around the 280rwkw, still on the r33 rb25 turbine housing.

I think the .7 comp cover is too large, it requires a spacer plate and reduces throttle response, but it is good for high boost efficiency.

Optimal... GT30 -12 CHRA & .6 comp cover, R33 RB25 turbine or R34/vg30 turbine housing.

Speaking to ATS he recommended the slightly larger GT30 for the RB30, obviously the Rb25 will run in to serious surge issues with such a small rb25 turbine housing and the big 600hp core.

As its a complete chra and hasn't had its wheels fiddled with its safe to say it will be a reliable turbo. :D

For myself.. I've got a vg30det turbo here, its either get it machined up to suit the gt30 near christmas or grab a xr6 turbo that is floating around for hopefully ~$1500 maybe less.

Edited by Cubes