SAU Community

Adjustable Cam Gear Problems

treo

I just complete an install of an 'OS Giken' adjustable cam gear on to the end of my exhaust cam shaft. As you know the 'cam angle sensor (cas)' sits on the outside of the cam gear on the exhaust cam side. Now on the 'OS Giken' adjsuatble cam gear in the centre there are 4 locating wholes (four bolts run through) and a locating pin whole to make sure the cam gear is correctly alligned. The same as all RB cam gears. Around the outside of the 4 locating wholes there are another four securing allen key bolts that alow for the sleve adjustment of the cam gear.

My problem is with the 'Cas' and 'Cas housing' ontop of the exhaust adjustable cam gear the 4 securing allen key bolts rub/grind on the 'cas housing'. Basically it makes an awful noise not that ive run it for more that 30seconds, and im wondering if anyone else has expierenced this sort of problem before with this sort of item and how they have over come this?

Im not quite sure what i should do? The first option im looking at is placing 1, 2, or maybe three washers under the three locating 'Cas housing' bolts an see if it elivates it enough off the cam gear so the 4 adjusting allen key bolts no longer rub. The doubt i have with this is maybe the 'Cas' wont actually be able to work because its to far away from the locater (half moon at the end of the cam) that it wont run. The other options i have is put the standard itme back on, which i dont really see as an option, or last of all maybe grind a bit of each of the 4 adjusting allen key bolts so they no longer rub on the 'Cas housing'. Anyone with some helpful advice much appreciated because i would like to have it all sorted tommorrow night so mum can have her carpark back. cheers

ive a simmilar problem on my 20 right now and its due to the lack of the gasket/insulator thats normaly on the front timing cover as mine was destroyed when it got powdercoated.......

if the cas securing bolts (3) are rubbing then perhaps cut the tips off with a dremmel tool.

else try puting some kind of space between the bolts when you bolt the cas on and see if that helps.

You dont say in you reinstalled the front cover , if you havent thats your problem . You will need to use a washer /spacer in each bolt .

The washers spacers have to be all the same thickness and about the same thickness as the the cover . Place washers /spacers on first then the cas then bolt it on and it will be fine .

The next step is to time it with a timing light , if you dont have one try to put it back where it was before , drive easy and take it somewhere to ajust the timing then to a tuner to ajust the cam gear .

cheers guys, yeah i have no top timing cover off 'wrxhoon' its been off since i did my water pump, t-belt, tensioner, and thermostat about a year ago. i had completely forgotten that the cas sits on the outside of the upper timing belt cover, that would be the cause then. anyways bought some washers home from work today (i am a mechanic blitz), il see how i go tonight, il find the upper timing belt cover thats has to be somewhere around and all should be well, il match the washers to the thickness of the cover an thumbs up.

havent had the cover on for the last year, hasnt been a problem nore have i got my spark plug cover on. Easy access and good for obervation, its only neccessary to stop people fiddling with the cam belt at a glance. There is a round plate that sits over the crank behind the harmonic balanncers that stop the timing belt from sliding forwards and off, are you saying the timing belt normally runs constantly on the inside of the upper timing cover?? anyways problem solved

well the cam gears only just went on, so when the standard cam gears were on there was not adjustment bolts for it to hit i would imagine... hopefully he's got it sorted now anyways.

You have to have the cover off to ajust the cam gears .

Really? I never would have guessed :D Somehow I don't think its taken a year to install them.... Nor do must people need to adjust them so frequently that the cover must remain off.

Anyway, he is entitled to do whatever he wants with his car but he shouldn't be under the illusion the cover is just there to stop people playing with the timing belt adjustment.

Really?  I never would have guessed ;)  Somehow I don't think its taken a year to install them.... Nor do must people need to adjust them so frequently that the cover must remain off.

Anyway, he is entitled to do whatever he wants with his car but he shouldn't be under the illusion the cover is just there to stop people playing with the timing belt adjustment.

I never said he has to have it off permanantly and i wouldn't leave mine off either ( i can assure you mine is always on ) its there for various reasons .

When he put the gears on he has to take it to a tuner with a dyno to adjust them so there is no point in puting the cover back on until all that is done , is there ?

Of cousre he is intitled to do whatever he wants but if you remember he asked for help and i offered , he can take it or leave it , up to him .

As for the spark plug cover i leave mine off as well , it may save my coil packs from getting very hot and breaking down ( common problem with these engines ).

As for the spark plug cover i leave mine off as well , it may save my coil packs from getting very hot and breaking down ( common problem with these engines ).

I will also allow water, dust and dirt to get in and kill the coils prematurely. It's there for the same reason that the cam covers are there. Keep the crap out.

I have replaced 2 cam belts on RB's that had rock holes in them, one still had the rock embedded in the belt. I have also rebuilt one engine (not an RB) that had the cambelt jump a pulley due to a small stone. It's a gamble, rol the dice if you are feeling lucky (to miss quote a favourate movie "is that 5 bullets or 6"?).

;) cheers :)

I never said he has to have it off permanantly and i wouldn't leave mine off either ( i can assure you mine is always on ) its there for various reasons .

When he put the gears on he has to take it to a tuner with a dyno to adjust them so there is no point in puting the cover back on until all that is done , is there ?

Of cousre he is intitled to do whatever he wants but if you remember he asked for help and i offered , he can take it or leave it , up to him .

Relax. The smilie was there to indicate I wasn't being serious. I realise he needs it off to install the gears and tune them, but it seems foolish to me to leave the covers off indefinately. Thats all. Not good if someone was searching for camgear info, came across this thread, and assumed the cover was irrelevant.

I will also allow water, dust and dirt to get in and kill the coils prematurely.  It's there for the same reason that the cam covers are there.  Keep the crap out.

I have replaced 2 cam belts on RB's that had rock holes in them, one still had the rock embedded in the belt.  I have also rebuilt one engine (not an RB) that had the cambelt jump a pulley due to a small stone.  It's a gamble, rol the dice if you are feeling lucky (to miss quote a favourate movie "is that 5 bullets or 6"?).

;) cheers  :)

Agree Gary but thats the risk that i choose to take . I feel that its better to keep them cooler .

Iwells , no bad feelings here buddy i was just commenting on your reply , i have no problem with anyones comments and if i did i wouldn't reply .

Edited by wrxhoon