SAU Community

Apprentices

Butler

hey guys,

well uni sucks and its time to get the job im after. Was going to go to the air force and do an aircraft technitians job but dont like the fact of being away from everyone for years on end. Does anyone know of any good places that take mechanics apprentices? Im not after somewhere like ford or honda, more after something a little smaller, and ideally a place that works on some imports. If you have any details please give us a bell.

thanks ppl!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me make its not easy. I'm an apprentice mechanic working at a Ford delearship up north. MITA is the only place that you can go to and they will find an apprenticeship for you, thats where I went through. Otherwise start doing some work experience where ever you can get into and start getting noticed. If you need some help send me a PM.

Cheers,

Northside Nissan is looking for an Apprentice for next year I beleive, A friend that just got apprenticeship there told me about that ( As I would like one there...but I'm not going to move from where I am )

What day do you go to MITA Baz? Im there on Fridays, Im a 'user choice' Apprentice though, as I found my apprenticehip myself and my employer sent me there. I'm not a Ford guy so wouldnt be over your side anyway ;)

I go to MITA on thursdays. It's an unfortunate thing that the pay is so pathetic to be a mechanic. Most people don't understand how difficult it is nowadays to diagnose problems on late model cars. There is so much wiring, electronics and computers that makes life a living hell when trying to figure out what the problem really is.

The thing is that pisses me off is that mechanics have built themselves a bad reputation. When a completely different problem goes wrong with the car after fixing for a seperate problem it is <b>there</b> fault because they believe the car was not fixed correctly which led to another issue which is in no way related. On the other hand if a doctor (because we all love doctors) treats you for a problem and diagnoses you incorrectly, they aren't the initial people to blame because of the reputation they have built for themselves. /Rant over

Just to let you know I did high level TEE subjects at school before deciding that I wished to do mechanics instead because I prefered on the job training compared to the completely irrelavent content we learned at school. If you love cars become a mechanic, if you love money don't. Plain and simple. I'm actually working in spare parts at the moment due to a broken wrist :huh: and these guys have no qualifications yet get paid in some cases more than the majority of the mechanics.

What day do you go to MITA Baz? Im there on Fridays, Im a 'user choice' Apprentice though, as I found my apprenticehip myself and my employer sent me there. I'm not a Ford guy so wouldnt be over your side anyway :huh:

Haha nice another MITA apprentice. What year are you in? I'm in my second year atm going onto third year soon and work for NuFord which is about 100m from Northside Nissan. They are actually moving next door to us to join the masses of AHG delearships along Waneroo Road.

Butler,

Have you though about heavy vehicle fitter/mechanic or auto sparky. Apprenticeships are run through the major companies like Caterpiller and Komatsu (to name a few). Its pretty compeditive as the money is certainly good for an apprentice. (troy no jedi jokes please, thankyou).

Basically the engines are 14+ litre v12's mainly with 2 turbos and 2 superchargers. rosters are mostly 2 and one and some places are even 9 and 5 (9 days on 5 off).

At the moment a qualified heavy auto sparky can ask for around $100k and get a job easily.

The site I'm on are looking to employ apprentice fitters every year so you may have a chance coming up shortly I guess.. If they employ more.

Barrick Gold Australia is the company, I'm based at Plutonic Gold Mine, and, as a rough guide, 2nd year apprentices on 9 and 5 roster (9 days on, 5 days off) have just signed a ~$70,000 p/a package (incl full private health insurance, super etc). They signed over from an external company (CCI) so I'm unsure if this package would be offered to everyone, but I'd imagine so.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by AGIT8D

MITA :P I dislike that place very much.

The mechanics at my work are on pretty good money, with a lot of them going north to minesites and shit.

I wouldn't go into IT now... there is a major skills shortage at the moment so jobs in a trade area pay very well.

Too many people in IT as well.

Haha nice another MITA apprentice. What year are you in? I'm in my second year atm going onto third year soon and work for NuFord which is about 100m from Northside Nissan. They are actually moving next door to us to join the masses of AHG delearships along Waneroo Road.

Im just getting to the end of 1st year

I too did some TEE, and last year was doing Aircraft Maintainence at TAFE, waaaaaaaaay too much regulation and red tape for me in that industry (though to be fair, they ned to be pretty stringent), but I didn't like it as I thought I would, and cars are my first love. So yeh, I'm pretty old for a 1st yr, though I seem to know my shit more than the others :rolleyes:

Mechanic eh - even some of the best of them only get $35k/year (I hear) Go get a professional sklilled job :(

It is an extremly skilled job....

Wages are going up, due to the lack of mechanics available, and with the labour rates that dealerships are charging....they can afford it

MITA  :(  I dislike that place very much

Are you saying you don't like Mr Holmes? :D hahahah what a knob

MR HOLMES!! That f**king bald c**t! I hate that f**ker! I'd forgetten all about him... thanks ;) So he's still hanging around yeh?

What about that dude with the big beard? The stores guy... He went off at me for wearing shorts... Said "Are you going to the beach or something?"