SAU Community

Apprentices

Butler

mita realy does suck but if you wana become a machanic i belive it is on of the best places to get experience through i go to mita but just as user choise luckly im in my 4th yr just about done me time and dont have to put up with there shit no more got to say thow jeff bishop is one of the most noligable blokes you will ever come across there and if it wasent for him prob wouldent be were i am today

all in all the world would be f*****d without machanics and yes the pay is shit house atm but more and more people are leaving the trade and a shortage of machanics is starting to apear well good ones neway i say stick out your 4 yrs were every you can and take in as much as you can but i belive well in my case i learnt more at home mucking around blowing thing up (lol) then some times at work as long as you got a good idea of wat you are doing you can learn wat you need at work and on ya days at tafe to one day be on the big dollers

i can say i got into the trade case i love it (rear to hear i know) not for the money

cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good performace mechanics can and do pull over 1K a week and endup interveiwing the employer not the other way around as the demand is that high.

Unfortunately the oppotunity is not there to be able to become trained in that sort of field. The only way you can become good at peformance mechanics is by learning off of your own back. For example I've just begun chipping my own ecu's as a starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

does age play a major role in apprenticeships? i am now 21 and i have being told the older you are the less people want to employ you as a apprentice (considering it takes 4 years to do?) uni seems like a dead ender for too.. *sigh*

does age play a major role in apprenticeships? i am now 21 and i have being told the older you are the less people want to employ you as a apprentice (considering it takes 4 years to do?) uni seems like a dead ender for too.. *sigh*

Depends on the trade to be honest, I'm a chef (pastry), and there are are different kinds of ages. It also depends on the employer too, because at a certain age I can't remember though, you get paid the minimum adult wage, which I think is more than both 1st & 2nd year wage. There is no harm in applying because you could get lucky, but most apprentices are young.

With the shortage of good performace mechanics we have so if you can get a start in a performace shop you wont look back.

I know of a shop in WA paying close to $40 an hour and that cant be bad.

Top racing has 2 Apprentices and could not do without them and had to work very hard to get more quality mechanics. I know many of WAs shops are trying to get more staff so the future looks good if you guys do go down this path.

Mature age apprentices start on 3rd year wages, there is one at my work, and I know that there is a few others getting around, if you show that you are keen then you have a good chance of getting an apprenticship.

Unfortunately the oppotunity is not there to be able to become trained in that sort of field. The only way you can become good at peformance mechanics is by learning off of your own back. For example I've just begun chipping my own ecu's as a starting point.

Exactly, that is somewhere I would like to be in the future, I'm not sure how exaclty I will get there though...

It's unfortunate because most peformance workshops wont take on apprentices or work experience in places such as Hyperdrive and X-speed which fair enough because they survive on a reputation which strives on good quality work. But then that leaves very little training to provide good peformance mechanics for the future hence why they are becoming harder to find these days because the training is simply just not provided.

I've tried so hard by ringing up and contacting various shops but I just simply don't know how I can prove myself. It's another case of not what you know but rather who you know. It's unfortunate but very true in the majority of all cases.

I think shops need to take apprentices on so they can train ppl their way.

Sadly your right tho it is a case of who you know in most cases but a good place to start is go to race meets and ask around to see if anyone wants crew members,I know of many ppl that have found their way by doing this inc myself in the early 1980s.I did my 4 years as a normal mechanic and then started helping out on Rally teams and by the mid 80s i was building cars for ppl and at the end of the 80s had my own shop, give it a try.