SAU Community

Climate Control

Haysey

12 volt dc 10amp (normal dash lights) dropped to 1.5 volts (LED) 1mA something like that so you will need to find out the total power draw should be 10 amps but that will be total in dash draw so you will have to match that to stop the leds blowing up due to high voltage and high amp's.

HOpe my rough example kind of helps

ps board at work so thats the reason being the diagrams

both are ideas of wiring the new leds

digram.bmp

digram2.bmp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cookie: From what I can see, I just need to play with or replace one of the two to get the other half of the panel going.

Sumo: yep! I took pics when I was doing it... will attach thanks!

Pic 1: The AC unit in an R33. the recycled air and demister have their own individual green bulb/LED for the little rectangle which lights up green when pressed.

Pic 2: The rear of the unit. There is one bulb here, and one on the other side. There is a groove on the rear of the bulb which accommodates a flat-head screwdriver just nicely. Unscrew, flip unit, and out it comes. Check your contacts and bend the metal of the bulb out a bit if it looks like it has "unsprung" itself over time. This has fixed one of the two for me purely by accident.

Pic 3: The bulb and rubber cap. If that doesn't insulate heat, I don't know what does! The buttons are not super-bright to begin with... I may try peeling the rubber off the working one to see how bright it will go. Sure it'll be white instead of a light blue, but who cares? I can see my buttons! ($10 if you find a 4-leaf clover)

post-3573-1128559068.jpg

post-3573-1128559112.jpg

post-3573-1128559225.jpg

Well stuff *me*! =-o

The globes DO come out eh? Shouldn't be too hard to source the right replacement globes for the holders then!

If I find the time, i'll pull them out this week and also let you know how it goes, Steve.

I had to change mine a few years ago. Back then I bought them from either Jaycar or Dick Smiths. They are called 'grain of wheat bulbs'. Silly name, but thats what they're called. Cost me a few dollars each.

Edited by SLY33

Yesterday i tried to follow the instructions to do the swap from the silvia link - only had time to put two lights in - and they turned out way to dark, i will try again with some different bits and let you know how it goes

Yesterday i tried to follow the instructions to do the swap from the silvia link - only had time to put two lights in - and they turned out way to dark, i will try again with some different bits and let you know how it goes

what mcd leds did you use the 1000 ones maybe a higher rating im getting my leds tomorow n1

yeah i bought 1000mcd leds - well a mate of mine did for me - he's a Qantas technician and loves fiddling with that stuff.

He suggested changing the resistors first then if that doesnt work to go for the 3000mcd ones cause i dont want them to be to be too bright as im driving at night and he thinks 3000mcd leds will blend in with my stereo headunit - theres better things to look at, like the boost gauge (and the road from time to time :P )

I should have a result by Friday for everyone on this topic

hey, im 3am on ns.com and I wrote that article :(

when I wrote it I just bought the cheapest LEDs I could find, hence not the brightest ones. but its all down to personal prefrence, I think that if its too bright it may be a distraction.

anyways glad to see my article is getting around. :(

Hey - good article - with the polarity it was different on my R32 (which i was sort of expecting) (some are left facing and others right facing)

Id recommend 1000mcd bulbs aswel, any brighter and like you said, it can be distracting. Plus - how often do you fiddle with the ac? personally i just set it and leave it so i find it irritating being in your face all the time, the stereo does a good job of that anyway!!!

Again - good article dude!! - ill post night shot pics asap

there a standard dick smith job replacement, blue leds look good on the recycle and demist buttons cos ive done that already, but dont use leds for the main lighting, it wont light up properly because blue leds have a very narrow lighting angle