SAU Community

Buying Cars Inter-state

Turbz_13

thats just common sense to have the car checked out prior to purchasing it, no exceptions. compression test/leak down, suspension, body, features ie climate control/radio/indicators - the lot. you never know so my bet is to be safe rather than sorry.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i flew over there any took mine to get a full mechanics check, i just rang some mechanics over there and made a date,but you could always get the good old raa check done. But when spending this kind of amount of money it is definetely worth getting it checked over before purchasing it especially if your not too mechanically sound.

For the money, I would like to see the car myself before purchasing it. Return airfare isnt that much, and if you can make it a long/dirty weekend away, then it won't really matter if the car is in great condition and you didn't need to go. (however if the car is not up to scratch the cost is well worth it)

Edited by 4door_Sleeper

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

Im thinking of purchasing a 1996 R33 S2 skyline from Vic from a dealer . My plan is to fly up there (one way ticket). Get the car fully inspected etc.

My only consern is driving it bk to adelaide with no insurance...?

Are u able to have insurance on the car prior driving it to SA? I have heard you can have it shipped which would cost $350 or so?

Any u guys have any ideas?

Hey all

Im thinking of purchasing a 1996 R33 S2 skyline from Vic from a dealer . My plan is to fly up there (one way ticket). Get the car fully inspected etc.

Are u able to have insurance on the car prior driving it to SA? I have heard you can have it shipped which would cost $350 or so?

Hey all

Yeah you can get insurance i had already organised it all with just cars and when the car arrived here (with no plates) i got my permit for it and rang them up and told them the details of it and then i could drive it insured till the plates arrived. So you should be able to ring them when you get it and give them the rego and it should all be good.

Yeah you can get insurance i had already organised it all with just cars and when the car arrived here (with no plates) i got my permit for it and rang them up and told them the details of it and then i could drive it insured till the plates arrived. So you should be able to ring them when you get it and give them the rego and it should all be good.

im actually having a bit of trouble transfering the rego over, as the car come into australia under the 15yo rule there was no plate given. and the cop told me that he wouldnt finish the identity check and said i would have to go to regancy for an "exempt for complance" plate. but this was a cop from a country police station(clueless)

That's exactly what happened to me when I brought my car over from Vic. I didnt have that plate either. You have to go to regency and fill out some application for exemption then after youve got that in the post like a couple weeks later, you can take it down for a full roadworthy, a 1 hr session. Book a regency appointment tomorrow and buckle up cos you'll be waiting on hold for a good while if you are as lucky as me and I had a sweet 4 week wait for the next appointment too! Make your car stock as a rock and if you're lucky it'll go through first time. Not sure if you can avoid the roadworthy if you're living in the country.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeh the car im buying is already complied, so just call up Just car insurance while im in Vic then gimme them car details etc. and when i get the rego transferred from VIC to SA give them a call bk?

Is this correct? Did u guys drive ur skylines bk to adelaide(long 8-10Hour drive) or have it transported via ship/truck??

Feed bk be greatly appreciated:)

Drive it back but just tell Just cars exactly what you want to do and you can set up the insurance and then as soon as you buy the car you can ring them up and the insurance will cover you.

As if you wouldnt want to drive the new car back...I had to fight my old man to get him out of my GTR and back into his new monaro after he took it for a bit of flex driving back to adelaide!!!

I just bought my car from NSW, the only thing I have to add is that you will have to put your car over the pit to get the rego transferred over to SA within one month after you buy it. (assuming that its still got rego)