SAU Community

hey i just recently purchased a 94 skyline gts-t and it came with a h/duty clutch. the owner warned me that it might be a bit tough to get used to, but im finding it almost impossible. once im in first and driving around, shifting through the gears and whatever is easy and smooth, its just neutral --> first is hurting me. i cant for the life of me get a smooth start quickly, i either stall it or bunny hop. If i take the time to do it i can, but it has to be on a flat surface and even then it takes me a while to ease into it so gently its ridiculous. Using it as a daily driver is kinda annoying me now cause of the constant stop - starts i have to do, and not being able to move quickly and smoothly is irritating me. I can do it on any other manual no problems. Im starting to wonder if its just me, or maybe my clutch is stuffing up or something i duno. theres a friction point, but thats it, on/off it feels like, i cant ease off it like i can in other cars. any advice here coz its drivin me nuts! ;)

just keep driving it u will eventually get used to it, i have a brass button in mine and unless u give it some revs (i never do, i dont like to slip clutches) u cannot take off smoothly, it is always jerky.

Yeah it does take some getting used to. I had a brass button in my 32 but its out now cos it and my gearbox are f**ked. The clutch wasnt even put properly and when it was cold you could here it rubbing on the flywheel. When it was taken out you could see that it wasnt balanced and 2 of the ceramic plates had been significantly hotter than the other 3.

i went to autoclutch yesterday and without looking at it he predicted i had a 3puck one in there atm which is why it was causing me some grief on the stop/starts. he suggested getting the 9puck one in there and i'll probably do that next week, settin me back around $850 i think it was. have u guys had experience with this? how is it for city driving where you have to constantly stop and start? quick smooth starts possible?

9 puck generally speaking would be similar to a full face, and a hell of a big difference to a 3 puk.

if u dont have much power just get a full face u dont need a puk clutch

I dont have much power, cars a 94 gtst with a few mods like fmic, filter, bov and exhaust. never been boosted and im not sure if plan to or not.

the full face is cheaper i think but if i get that (i assume thats like stockish) what are the chances of it breaking on me? Im not gonna take the car to the drags or anything, its purely for driving around the city so i want a comfortable clutch but also a reliable one, i dont plan on changing it again anytime soon. Im definately going to change it this week from this 3 puck one, so should i go for the 9 puck (he said it would last longer) or the full face? what are the differences between the two? any one have any experiences with these?? :)