SAU Community

Selling A Car

dezz

Hey guys...

I've recently sold my car, but have not handed it over to the buyer yet, as I was waiting to have a car available to get me to work etc....

So now i'm pretty much ready to hand it over...

here's the question

The car is technically unroadworthy....its probably too low, and it has the tiniest of chips in the windscreen, which i've been told would need to be replaced .

Now, the buyer is happy to take the car "as is", so i'm not fixing the issues...

What i need to know is, if i sell the car as it is, do i just give it to him, take my money, and sign the transfer papers etc, then its up to him to get the rwc himself?

any feedback, advice etc will be great, as this is the first time ive sold a car, as its my 1st car.

also, the transfer papers, do I need to go to Vic Roads and get them? if so, what do i need to take with me, if anything

That sounds right.

Just make sure you put in writing that the car is being sold "as is" and all RWC items are the buyers responsiblity. I don't think you have to go into Vicroads (assuming u have the transfer papers) you just to need sign them.

Should be sweet.

That sounds right.

Just make sure you put in writing that the car is being sold "as is" and all RWC items are the buyers responsiblity. I don't think you have to go into Vicroads (assuming u have the transfer papers) you just to need sign them.

Should be sweet.

yeah i meant i need to get them from vic roads...they dont come with reg papers or anything do they?

and yeah, as is, he takes it like it is, and then he'd need to get a RWC before he can transfer the reg to his name right?

as long as that cant have any negative affect to me, like the car is in my name till he gets RWC, but i dont have the car etc....then yeah, its his problem and not mine

all u need is as he said... write down the car is being sold as is (may as well take the plates off to) and make sure u both sign it.

both keep a copy and thats it.

yeah but if i take the plates off, that means he has to completely re reg it, and lose the 4 months remaining. if i leave them on, its just up to him to get the RWC to transfer it...

and if he like gets a speeding fine on camera etc, the contract says that he took posession of the car on whatever date, so i cant get done with the fine

Technically, you can't transfer the reg to the new owner without a RWC. You either:

- sell with a RWC and transfer the reg (the form's on the Vicroads web site)

or

- take the plates off the car and de-reg the car with Vicroads (new owner gets an unreg vehicle permit to drive the car away and get a RWC).

If your prepared to trust the new owner to get a RWC 'soon', then you could let him/her take the car away BUT it will still be in your name until the transfer is done (ie he/she gets a RWC and does the transfer....but you still have to sign the transfer form at some stage). So if he/she gets caught by a speed camera, you will get the bill and have to identify the driver, etc, etc. If you decide to go this way, at the very least you should get a signed, dated receipt clearly identifying the full name, address and drivers licence of the new owner in order to cover yourself as much as possible.

Technically, you can't transfer the reg to the new owner without a RWC.  You either:

- sell with a RWC and transfer the reg (the form's on the Vicroads web site)

or

- take the plates off the car and de-reg the car with Vicroads (new owner gets an unreg vehicle permit to drive the car away and get a RWC).

If your prepared to trust the new owner to get a RWC 'soon', then you could let him/her take the car away BUT it will still be in your name until the transfer is done (ie he/she gets a RWC and does the transfer....but you still have to sign the transfer form at some stage).  So if he/she gets caught by a speed camera, you will get the bill and have to identify the driver, etc, etc.    If you decide to go this way, at the very least you should get a signed, dated receipt clearly identifying the full name, address and drivers licence of the new owner in order to cover yourself as much as possible.

yeah. i think thats what i tried to say above, but u did post after me so thats cool

im just making sure that its all cool to actually sell the car as is...

like i said, its basically roadworthy, safety wise...just lowering (which is done professionally) and the tiny chip...just a pain in the ass to have to spend all that money to get the springs out, then back in etc

im selling it with the stock springs, so he can do it quite easily i guess

im just making sure that its all cool to actually sell the car as is...

I've actually done it this way a couple of times (a car and a motorcycle) and in one case I got a 'please explain' call from Vicroads. They weren't particularly happy that I hadn't followed 'the rules', but it doesn't seem there's much they can do about it.

I've actually done it this way a couple of times (a car and a motorcycle) and in one case I got a 'please explain' call from Vicroads.  They weren't particularly happy that I hadn't followed 'the rules', but it doesn't seem there's much they can do about it.

ok, so say for example, this guy comes round here sunday with the cash.

I show him the contract that states.

X car is being sold by X to X for the amount of $X.

the car is being purchased by X "as is" and without a RWC.

X buyer accepts that all roadworthy items will be the responsibility of the buyer, and not the seller.

anything else that would need to be included, taken out, changed?

ok, so say for example, this guy comes round here sunday with the cash.

I show him the contract that states.

X car is being sold by X to X for the amount of $X.

the car is being purchased by X "as is" and without a RWC.

X buyer accepts that all roadworthy items will be the responsibility of the buyer, and not the seller.

anything else that would need to be included, taken out, changed?

I would tend to explicitly identify the car by reg, VIN and even engine number, but you should make him/her sign a copy for yourself as well, and as I said make sure he/she gives full address and licence details and actually view their licence to make sure everything matches up. It all sounds a bit 'untrusting' and you don't want to get the buyer pissed off, but if they're genuine it shouldn't be a problem for them.

I would tend to explicitly identify the car by reg, VIN and even engine number, but you should make him/her sign a copy for yourself as well, and as I said make sure he/she gives full address and licence details and actually view their licence to make sure everything matches up.  It all sounds a bit 'untrusting' and you don't want to get the buyer pissed off, but if they're genuine it shouldn't be a problem for them.

yeah i know what you mean...i dont want to scare him off if you know what i mean.

but on the phone he did say he'd take it as is (I think he'd be about 17 or 18), but yeah...

its not like the car is a death trap...its actually very nice, just the technicalities that are a pain in the ass....and i dont have friends in the industry to give me like good prices on fitting/removing the springs etc.

yes, write down a receipt for the amount, get your signatures on both..

vin, engine number, and date..

that should satisfy. Its worked for me in the past.

The transfer can't be formally done until the rwc is presented, even if u fill out the paperwork, but it does open you up to possible problems discussed above. It might take 3-4 weeks, while he dicks around getting a rwc, he might be stupid and decide he is going to drive it around in that time, has an accident, etc. But all maybe's.

If u want to be safest. Drive the car around to the buyers place with a mate behind. Remove the plates and rego sticker, and if he drives it after that or anyhting like that, thats totally his problem.

yeah i know, but me taking the plates and cancelling rego is gonna make him want to pay less...so thats the problem there.

also, it says has to be transferred within 14 days...if he doesnt get the RWC within 14 days, what will the consequences, if any, be to me? if none, then im not too concerned...

From VicRoads:

A person who sells a registered vehicle is required to:

* provide the buyer with a RWC issued not more than 30 days before the date of sale

* complete a vehicle registration transfer form with the buyer and keep a copy for their own records

So if you aren't going to supply a roadworthy, take the plates off and drop the price.

You will get a small refund from VicRoads when you return the plates.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5n...A256FD300241BFB

From VicRoads:

A person who sells a registered vehicle is required to:

* provide the buyer with a RWC issued not more than 30 days before the date of sale

* complete a vehicle registration transfer form with the buyer and keep a copy for their own records

So if you aren't going to supply a roadworthy, take the plates off and drop the price.

You will get a small refund from VicRoads when you return the plates.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5n...A256FD300241BFB

yeah i was reading the transfer paper and got most of the info i needed...but yeah thanks for that

with the refund, say i have 4 months left, do you get a third of your registration fee back?

just trying to work out how much to drop off the price if i do it that way

yeah im gonna see if he'll take it de-registered, and ill knock maybe $200 off....and lose a bit, but get it back through vic roads, and not have all the hassle ...

if he wont take it like that, ill do it the other way, sell it as is, and tell him its up to him to get RWC.

yeah i think im gonna do it that way, but hopefully it doesnt scare him out of the sale....

as i said, its mostly minor things to get it RWC, but they are a pain in the ass, and he said he'd take it as is.

i dunno if its worth the risk of letting him take it like that, registered, and then he has to get the RWC within 14 days...

ill just drop the price by $200 ish, and get my refund to re-coup some of that

why dont u take the car to the buyers house, take off the plates and rego sticker, and say let me know when the rwc has been done, go back over there, whack the sticker back on and screw the plates back on ?

i dunno, just a stupid idea, but as stated above, thats how u are supposed todo it