SAU Community

Selling A Car

dezz

nah i had a think about it today, and this is what i came up with

say im selling the car for $XXXX, and he agreed to take it as is for that price. now we all know what he is happy with doesnt mean vic roads is happy with etc...so it either has to be sold with a RWC, or de-reg'd and sold without rego etc

now, i can say to him, i'll knock $XXX off the price we agreed on, and ill cancel the reg, and you take it like that

OR

I'll let you take it as is, but if you dont show me a RWC, within 14 days, ill cancel the registration (as its legally my car) and ill get my rego refund etc, + ill have the full price we agreed upon in the first place

so that way i let him decide how he wants to go about it...if he is happy to do the RWC within 2 weeks, thats fine with me, but after 2 weeks ill cancel the reg if i dont see a RWC :P

thanks for the advice everyone

I'll let you take it as is, but if you dont show me a RWC, within 14 days, ill cancel the registration (as its legally my car) and ill get my rego refund etc, + ill have the full price we agreed upon in the first place

That isn't the way it works.

Once the car is sold, it's legally the property of the person who has purchased it.

You can't just sell a car and then decide 2 weeks later "oh, I want my stereo back now, I think I'll just go take it..i have a reciept for it, so it's mine and i can take it if i want" :D

If you sell the car with plates and without roadworthy certificate, you are breaking the law.

This has been explained in depth several times, and although you SAY you understand, it's quite apparent that you just don't get it.

So........ if after 14 days the buyer hasn't shown you a roadworthy certificate, exactly how do you plan on getting the plates back?

do u understand that the car is still in my name. therefore, the registration is still mine to cancel....

and as for this breaking the law shit....who cares. if the buyer agreed to take it that way without a RWC, then they are breaking the law as well

So.... you want to sell the car, but still retain ownership of it?

Your theory of "they're breaking the law as well" won't hold up in court, as the owner, the onus is on YOU to do the right thing.

The paperwork is in your name, and you are the one who will be held responsible for anything that may happen.

It is quite legal for a buyer to take ownership of a car without RWC, but it's not legal for you to sell it with plates if you don't supply rwc.

There isn't much point in asking for advice on the right way to do things, if you're just going to make it up as you go along.