SAU Community

Loose Feel Steering

Hi All,

I recently broke a tie rod by hitting a gutter (i know i know), after i replaced the tie rod and got wheel alignment my steering doesnt have that nice tight feel. Its all loose and has little feedback...

Can anyone tell me how to fix this or is it something i have to put up with???

Thanks,

Joh

in my experience. Running more castor gives steering a much more direct feel and a lot less vauge than stock, so maybe the castor rod has been bent slightly reducing the amount of castor.

Post the wheel alignment results

castor rods are heaps easier than tie rods

1 bolt goes through eye of the castor rod, and 2 nuts under the control arm, that's all. 17mm from memory on a 32

If you're replacing them, may as well get aftermarket adjustable pillowball castor rods. +9 degrees of castor feel sooo much better than stock.

If you're replacing them, may as well get aftermarket adjustable pillowball castor rods.  +9 degrees of castor feel sooo much better than stock.

I don't recommend using spherical bearings on a road car. Far too much NVH transmitted and they wear out real fast and then knock even more. The Jap tie rod manufactures tend to use unique spherical bearings, so you can't just pop into your local CBC Bearing shop and buy replacements. Even when you can, they cost more than the tie rod did in the first place.

If you want/need more caster then adjustable bushes are a much better solution for a road car.

:O cheers :)

So whats the best way of gettin good amount of additional castor? Obviously bushes at 0.75 deg look pretty lame. I've heard of people redrilling the stock rods so they can be 'pushed' back further. How's that sound?