SAU Community

Just A Couple Of Pics

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple more :O . I will get some pics of the rack and pinion up in the next few days as I have gonna completley different setup (s13 cross member and rack) and I just need to make up some steering linkages to suit.

post-8231-1147930728.jpg

post-8231-1147930785.jpg

post-8231-1147930821.jpg

Just a couple more :D . I will get some pics of the rack and pinion up in the next few days as I have gonna completley different setup (s13 cross member and rack) and I just need to make up some steering linkages to suit.

Why have you gone the S13 crossmember? Is it to make thw whole thing easier or will the bluebird crossmember just not work?

What about changes in trackwidth? I thought this setup increases trackwidth

Car looks awesome

I'm looking forward to seeing finished car.

Cheers

Edited by DR30RULES

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^ Thats phat ;);) Your paint works a fair bit better then mine though :(

As for using the s13 cross member and rack, it was mainly just a fact that my mate one laying in his shed which he wasn't gonna be using any time soon, and it is actually a matching power steer rack and cross member compared what I had in there (z31 rack on bluey cross member). The track is a bit wider haven't measured exactly how much wider haven't got that far yet. I haven't yet made up the linkages so there aint much to show, but I now have the motor sitting in the engine bay to make up engine mounts to suit the new cross member and to make sure everything is going to fit up all good which it is.

Edited by DR JOSH

Paint work is pretty crappy but it's good enough for me cause I'm a fair bogan. And it's alot more purple than what it seems in this photo too.

LOL In every pic I have the color looks very very similar to the pic of the 2 door above DEVOSTATED, I have had this color picked out ever since I have owned this DR Ohhhh well shit happens as long as that car ain't in adelaide it's all good LMFAO

post-8231-1149880934.jpg

Edited by DR JOSH

does an s13 cross member bolt in?

i was a bit worried about the old steering box but i got it out on the track and it doesnt seem to matter that the steering is a bit sloppy

does an s13 cross member bolt in?

i was a bit worried about the old steering box but i got it out on the track and it doesnt seem to matter that the steering is a bit sloppy

Nah crossmember doesn't quite bolt in but is pretty easy to make "bolt in". Yeah I had no problems at all really with the box just the fact that I know it could be a whole lot better made me do this conversion.

Well! I spoke to 2 guys yesterday that have already done the rack & pinion conversion and their knowledge is very well regarded in Nissan/Datsun circles. The main man is Arthur Jackson and the car was a blue MR30 sedan.

The conversion was necessary as an engine swap was done to a VG30DE and the old steering box was in the way.

They used a Bluebird rack, complete and unmodified. A Bluebird cross member and a modified bluebird steering column usinf a 280ZX link piece modified to correct length (the link piece between the column & rack) beare in mind though it was a non power assisted rack.

They also said the old power steering box was as good as you get for most driving situations, other than the most arduous of rally/race conditions, so long as it was in good condition.

They found the only downfall with the manual steering box & the rack & pinion conversion was in extremely heavy braking and steering at same time.

Cheers, D

Well! I spoke to 2 guys yesterday that have already done the rack & pinion conversion and their knowledge is very well regarded in Nissan/Datsun circles. The main man is Arthur Jackson and the car was a blue MR30 sedan.

The conversion was necessary as an engine swap was done to a VG30DE and the old steering box was in the way.

They used a Bluebird rack, complete and unmodified. A Bluebird cross member and a modified bluebird steering column usinf a 280ZX link piece modified to correct length (the link piece between the column & rack) beare in mind though it was a non power assisted rack.

They also said the old power steering box was as good as you get for most driving situations, other than the most arduous of rally/race conditions, so long as it was in good condition.

They found the only downfall with the manual steering box & the rack & pinion conversion was in extremely heavy braking and steering at same time.

Cheers, D

Yup thats pretty much the setup I had in there before hand, but decided to go s13 for the power steering as it's gonna see a fair bit of driving to and from work and could be a little heavy on the steering for day to day use :wave: Maybe I'm just weak though

Yup thats pretty much the setup I had in there before hand, but decided to go s13 for the power steering as it's gonna see a fair bit of driving to and from work and could be a little heavy on the steering for day to day use :wave: Maybe I'm just weak though

Josh,

These guys also suggested sourcing an imported U11 Bluebird rack, as they were power assisted.

Has anyone considered the U12 Pintara/Bluebird rack as they would be fairly easily acquired here in Oz.

I'm going to be just as lazy, cause I'm staying with the original power assisted steering box, just tighten it up a tad and keep the ball joints up to spec.

Cheers, D

• 2 years later...

Who wants to see how slack I have been? ;):(

3 years on and it's going in for it's first start up and tune tomorrow after a whole heap of dramas involving the haltech. Still needs the paint fixed up and a few bits and pieces. I kinda lost interest for a while there but now I just wanna drive the damn thing sick of working on it. Had big plans for this car but nothing has really eventuated of it just yet. 1 thing is for sure I will never part with this car.

AS it sits in my driveway ready to leave on a truck tomorrow morning

driveway.jpg

motor_now.jpg

I will have to up date on how it goes, with past visits to the tuner in mind I'm not really holding my breathe :(

220-240RWKW on finally tune and I will be one happy chappy

Edited by DR JOSH

Looks good Josh, when I get my exhuast re-done I now want it like yours... and not another big f**k-off cannon :(

You have a rack and pinion steering put into yours yeah?..... would be good to know if it was worth the conversion.

We need a DR cruise happening, but I cant think of anyone with a DR on the road at the moment..

....though my car has started getting vibration through the steering wheel when i hit 80 then goes away around 90.... but im going to have it taken off the road next year when im in China, so it will be ready when im back ;)

Yup twin pipes rock, so simple yet so tuff looking. I havent got around to putting any mufflers in yet so she's gonna be loud.

;):( I would also like to know if the rack and pinion conversion was worth it. It sure does feel a lot better then it used to just rolling it round.

Edited by DR JOSH

Who wants to see how slack I have been? ;):(

3 years on and it's going in for it's first start up and tune tomorrow after a whole heap of dramas involving the haltech. Still needs the paint fixed up and a few bits and pieces. I kinda lost interest for a while there but now I just wanna drive the damn thing sick of working on it. Had big plans for this car but nothing has really eventuated of it just yet. 1 thing is for sure I will never part with this car.

AS it sits in my driveway ready to leave on a truck tomorrow morning

I will have to up date on how it goes, with past visits to the tuner in mind I'm not really holding my breathe :(

220-240RWKW on finally tune and I will be one happy chappy

hahaha, mine has sat in 2 carports now for the last 4 years with nothing happening, finally moving to a house that has a covered in garage that has a spot set out so i can get back to getting it sorted. my excuse is the 2 other r31s i've been building in the mean time....

love the rims, whats the sizes??

17x9 +35 on the front with no spacers 17x10 +45 rear with a 20mm spacer. But it will be completley spacer free when I finally get around to putting the s13 rear end in. Then it will be pretty much up to the spec I originally wanted when I pulled it off the road.