SAU Community

Cleaning Oil Off Concrete?

predator

I've got to move in a few weeks, and just wondering how I go about removing oil stain area on the driveway.

No degreaser, or anything lightweight like that, as thats useless - what do the pros use in workshops, etc to get it off their floors?

I was thinking HCL to eat off the top layer off the concrete, but maybe that is a bit *too* heavy duty..

Any thoughts from those in the know?

My mechanic mate uses acid (don't know what type) that is quite concentrated, leaves it on to soak, and uses a stiff broom to scrub. Then rinse with copious amounts of water (sparingly, of course, due to water restrictions)

HCl should be fine, as long as you dilute a bit, don't let it soak so much and do the hard work with the broom

:O

I've got to move in a few weeks, and just wondering how I go about removing oil stain area on the driveway.

No degreaser, or anything lightweight like that, as thats useless - what do the pros use in workshops, etc to get it off their floors?

I was thinking HCL to eat off the top layer off the concrete, but maybe that is a bit *too* heavy duty..

Any thoughts from those in the know?

Best way of cleaning an oil spill is to put down some cement dust.

If the stain has been there for a while, one of those steam pressure cleaners with degreaser mixed in the water is the best.

Don't use HCl as it will destroy the concrete before it ever goes near the oil.

anyworkshop my friend has owned we paint the floor first, then spills are just cleaned with a mop and bucket. in your sitution though a steam cleaner may help, but it's pretty hard to get oil stains out of un painted concrete.

ok, some good suggestions.. er, especially yours silvergts-t

its been there for ages, as I have a habbit of conveniently missing the oil drain pan, no matter how carefully I try and place it ..grunt.

its not my driveway, so i really couldn't give two shits about it, or whether it collapses into 50 billion pieces 2 months later.. but as long as the stain is mostly gone :P

I did after all put "oil stain on driveway", even though it wasn't really there to begin with in the condition report for a reason :D

and it wasnt important id go buy a $2 can of export paint and give it a light spray. better than nothing.

yeah, thats what i did 3 months ago, and what is left is what that didn't get out (95% of it)..

this is fun though, keep it rolling.. Maybe I should ask my mother.. rofl

Ovencleaner could be a goer - "cleans off grease and grime" don't they.. :)

In my house moving experiences, as long as youve had a go at it they are fairly satisfied. No driveway is ever totaly clean and the more you try the more work you create, just do the oil spots and leave the rest unless it was pristine. Yeah oven cleaner is the go.