SAU Community

R32 Tow Bar Myth

xr8eater

there is alot of miss guiding information surrounding the 200sx/14s tow bar alot of people sugest it will fit on an R32 gts-t this is just not the case the main diffrences are the with of the tow bar it's just too wide to fit into the chassy rails. The other problem is the lights for the number plate not a huge problem but you are limted as where to mount them. also the mounting of the bumper could cause issues not sure as yet but i will keep you posted

post-13070-1127437551.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

with much work and swearing i took off the bar on my R33 and had a look at the diffrence of the tow bar section to the R33 it fits into the chassis but requiers a small lump pannel beaten in to fit properly also a section of the plastic bar will need to be cut out for this conversion

hopefully all myths have been dispelled about the S14/200SX tow bar

• 1 year later...

there is a slight bump on the back of the car that can be taped in with a hammer and the nuts inside the chassy will have to come off all basic jobs if you have a cold chisel and a hammer. An oxy will help but may cause rust later on up to you.

sorry markimak the only tow bar i know of fitting a skyline is the S14 one. i spose you would have to mesure the gap between the chasis and get a mesurement off turbotim that would be a good start point. or order one from nissan if it dosent fit get your money back thats what i did.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry markimak the only tow bar i know of fitting a skyline is the S14 one. i spose you would have to mesure the gap between the chasis and get a mesurement off turbotim that would be a good start point. or order one from nissan if it dosent fit get your money back thats what i did.

hmm.. might do that. GTST tow car.. :)

what was ur excuse for nissan..

uhh it dnt fit my skyline..?

Im still in the process of mine. Should fit it tonight.

Had to get a panel beater in to remove the hump in the beaver panel, other than that quite straight forward.

Fitting costs inlcluding wiring... $170, Bar $240, so total only $410 (provided it goes back together).

The car doesnt seem that substantial there, wouldnt want to tow huge amounts of weight.

I've considered having a towbar fitted for years.

The cheapest I've been quoted is $350 for a custom made one.

My requirement? The odd tow, maybe car trailer, maybe bike rack. :yes:

My little 32 has towed a few cars, pulled tree stumps down at the block lol.. rb30 powa. :D

Well its nearly finished.

I will put up pictures soon.

Not happy with the process, but the finished product looks ok.

Quite a bit of fiddling and messing around to make it fit well.

Definately not straight forward, but like i said about $400 and I had to buy an angle grinder.

Just have to mount the lights for the number plate some how and its finished.

Edit - As for towing 1.5 tonne, I dont know, its pretty thin rails back there and its not braced very far. I would really still to the 450kg unbraked limit on the 200sx bar. 900kg braked.

450 is enough for me, trailer + possibly 2 karts in the future.

Edited by Turbo Tim

Im not going to be towing any more than 300-400kg max. I honestly wouldnt want to do much more than that.

Its rated 900kg braked capacity.

Angle grinder was to cut off a bit of excess metal on the corners of the bar which stopped the bumper sitting flush.

That little black plate in the attachment is all you will see without the tongue on, which im quite happy with. Some of the workmanship by the block that did the panel beating work could have been a lot better. He was a panel beater, i think I could have done a better job.

Lights plug is in the boot with a ribbon cable you hang out to hook it up.

post-27043-1169953822.jpg

Edited by Turbo Tim

Yeah im going to see how it goes. Its very low at the moment, but fortunately wont have too much squat, but its not going to be good on the insides of the tyres. Its a light load for now, so ill just have to see.

As for the neatness, unfortunately dont look too close. The bloke I PAID to cut the plastic out of the bumper did a crap job, its not even symmetrical. Not happy with that either!

So I towed with it today.

Great car for the light load. Didnt really notice it was there (even thought it had fallen off on the odd occasion when the climate control turns off).

The towbar tongue really sits it up high. Not a drama what so ever with ride height of the car.

Glad I did it!