SAU Community

Engine Noise On R33

baron25

Recently my engine developed this annoying rattle at 1500rpm or so. It seems to disappear once the revs climb, and it doesn't do it at idle, only in the 1500-2000 rev range. Any idea what this could be? It sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor, but i'm not sure if it's from the top or from the pulleys and belts at the base.

Recently my engine developed this annoying rattle at 1500rpm or so. It seems to disappear once the revs climb, and it doesn't do it at idle, only in the 1500-2000 rev range. Any idea what this could be? It sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor, but i'm not sure if it's from the top or from the pulleys and belts at the base.

I believe that this is your timing belt idler or tensioner pulley bearings starting to show their age. My car had this exact noise in the same rev range and when I replaced the timing belt and pulleys, the noise was gone. If your car is coming up to 100 000 km then I would get them replaced pronto.

I believe that this is your timing belt idler or tensioner pulley bearings starting to show their age.  My car had this exact noise in the same rev range and when I replaced the timing belt and pulleys, the noise was gone.  If your car is coming up to 100 000 km then I would get them replaced pronto.

Mine's only supposedly done 56,000km but. How would i check if it is the timing belt?

Mine's only supposedly done 56,000km but. How would i check if it is the timing belt?

I got my mechanic friend to do the replacement for me, but I think the best way to check the belt is to get a mechanic to take off the cam gear cover and crank angle sensor unit to inspect the belt condition. I think in my case it was more to do with the bearings in the 2 pulleys as they sounded like a cement mixer when you spun them.

It isn't a cheap exercise to replace all these components, especially when you have labour costs to consider, so I would probably get a mechanic to check it for you to be honest. This way you won't end up replacing something that might not be broken.

I think the parts cost me about $500 and there will be a few hours labour involved. My car had come up to 100000km when I bought it so I had already factored this into the equation. My car is a 95 r33 so I think it's around the same age as yours, going from your sig.

If you can get your hands on a stetescope. (kinda what docs use to listen) you'll be able to pin point the noise. Approx $15 from Autobarn... supercheap... repco ect. I've got a similar noise to what your saying and i found it's my A/C compressor bearing. It only does it between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM. It's annoying but i'd rather wait till it gets worse and buy a new one, my A/C still works fine!

Or another poss. maybe check the tension on all your belts and timing belt.

Hi I bought my skyline about 2 weeks ago and I'm still getting used to it but I've noticed sometimes when I'm shifting up from 2nd to 3rd that theres a coarse gravely noise until i get to around about 40km/h and then things start smoothing out. I haven't noticed what rev range it occurs in. Is this normal?? or I am shifting up to early (I think it should be)?? My last car was an auto and I haven't driven manual in about 2 years?

Cheers,

AF

Could be the springs on your spung centre clutch are loose...

Mine made a grinding noise b/c of a faulty clutch plate where the springs were loose. It always did it at lower revs, and most audiable in 3rd and 2nd gears.

If I changed gears to early and load it up at 1,500 rpm in 2nd or 3rd, it was very noticable...

Damn I think you hit that right on the bulls eye...I'm guessing thats going to be a fair bill to fix.

Could be the springs on your spung centre clutch are loose...

Mine made a grinding noise b/c of a faulty clutch plate where the springs were loose. It always did it at lower revs, and most audiable in 3rd and 2nd gears.

If I changed gears to early and load it up at 1,500 rpm in 2nd or 3rd, it was very noticable...

that means the clutch plate is faulty (sort of).

From what I understand, if it IS that, then it won't cause any damage, it is just an annoyance.

Cost to fix is basically replace clutch plate...

What clutch do you have?

I have a daiken exceedy organic sports clutch.

that means the clutch plate is faulty (sort of).

From what I understand, if it IS that, then it won't cause any damage, it is just an annoyance.

Cost to fix is basically replace clutch plate...

What clutch do you have?

I have a daiken exceedy organic sports clutch.

I'm not too sure, hey? I just bought it probably just on two weeks ago now but there was no paperwork (manuals, instructions or compliance or whatever else)with it, even though I bought it at a dealer...come to think of it, I think the bastard's ripped me off since now the front right small headlight thing (the corner one, the faint ones?!) doesn't work anymore..

do you by any chance happen to know where a good reliable skyline service centre is in Syndey or where I can get keys, manuals and stuff from?

Cheers

AF