SAU Community

Mkiii 1jz Supra

anton86

thats the jza70, right? my brother has one in that shape, and he just blew one of the turbo's. was strange, as it was a completely stock car. however, for what they are, they're bloody fast......

probably not *that* heavy.. think its around 100kg more than your average R33.. or the same as your average commodore.

would be a fun car I think for a decent straight line racer. Not many around really. I think they can look pretty tough in a late 80's sort of way.

Yer its a good solid car. More a highway cruiser though. When u lose traction the back end has a tendency to go a bit crazy. The low down torque of the 1jz is great for giving u that "rush" that u get when turbos come on.

If you have the opportunity id get the Jza70 from late '92 as it was vvti and single turbo instead of twin and non vvti.

The "r" is also good as u get the recaro seats and all that jazz, not all that different though. Dont get a targa the body flex makes the back end even more happy.

49,000 on the clock!!! thats almost too good to be true. Thats a good buy.

*sigh* and here i am 4 years later with a bloody honda, am i reallly getting that old.

Make sure u dont get the MA70 as mentioned above. It really blows, head gaskets that is :P

I think they're nice..

here's a good example..

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/st...sp?StockID=3082

show me something better for $13K

i remember that car. i saw it and rang them about it. would've bought it to, but i didn't want to 3-4 months before i could drive it!

my bro bought an 'R' version for $10k even, with 100k km's. not bad, until he blew a turbo!

My older bro had a JZA70 Type R making 260rwhp a number of years ago. I was only 16 or so when he had it, so I never got to drive it, but my god that thing had some mid-range - the rush from the turbos made it feel like about 400rwhp. Jet black with custom body kit, it looked incredible. To this day I have never seen a better looking supra than his, including the JZA80 models. Will always have a soft spot for that car. It was just the best.

Having said that, he reckons my R32 on coil overs easily outhandled his supra, despite his large investments in suspension mods. He also had some reliability troubles too, but whether that was just his car or applicable to all JZA70 supras I dont know. He ate a few clutches too. He ended up selling it when he moved out of home because he couldnt afford to run it anymore.

If you are after handling, you can do better than the JZA70. But, having said that, I loved that car. Buy one and you will have fun, (when it is working properly!).

the whole 7mgte and gasket blowing thing is as stupid as skylines and ceramic exhaust wheels.

HKS metal head gasket and you won't have any problems.

they come standard with a fairly large turbo, which when hi-flowed gets close to 260rwkw with supporting mods.

also that car I posted doesn't have 46K original kms.

that is on the new speedo.. it says original km's unknown..

I just think that THAT particular car is amasingly clean, and it is also the 1jz model so it is definitely a great car.

not sure on weight.

I have a mate who wants to sell his mark III, It is and R type, f**king quick and handles very well, very nice car. PM me if anyone is interested. 1JZ is an awesome engine. An the car is definately not a straight line racer.. it has the whole package. :)

Edited by Josh

yeah, personally i reckon the JZA80's look a bit poofy for a street car.. whereas the older ones have the harder look.. but i know everybody will disagree with me on that one.

And well, being in my mates n/a when he owned that, the girls cant keep their eyes off the damn thing.. never had that reaction in any other car.

GTST, the ma70 always blow head gaskets. i dont know alot of poeple who havent suffered from this problem

and yes you can get an aftermarket head gasket for them but the point is you shouldnt have to. its was poor reseach done by toyota which lead them to torque the head wrong and resulting in most owners having to fork out more money for their mistake

and you really cant compare it to the skylines cermaic wheels . the turbos only blow when they have been pushed (from what i undertand) while the head gaskets can blow on a factory car. also i would prefer to upgrade my turbo and actually get some results out of it then replacing a head gasket which can cost more than $2000 (if the head is warped due to high temperatures then it costs a sh1tload) and gain no power what so ever

as you can probably guess by now all love for the ma70 is now lost after my experience LOL

just my 2 censt