SAU Community

R33 Sii - My Gt30 Upgrade Is Done. Lots Of Pics

Separate but related info from above.

The unavailability of a suitable internally gated housing for the GT30 core (in Australia at least) seems about to be corrected.

Here is the information from Garrett Aust.

"we are producing .63A/R and .82A/R Turbine Housings for the GT30 (Turbine Exducer Diameter 54.86mm) range of Turbochargers, manufacture of the tooling required is in progress. We would hope to have the finished Housings available about end March 2006

At this stage we don't plan to make anything smaller

All Mounting and Outlet Flanges will be same as GT35 currently used on BA Falcon XR6 Turbo"

Racespec has made it known that he will be able to supply these complete units by around Easter. No doubt this is the case with GCG, HP in a box, MTQ etc.

Discopotato may be able to chime in here re the compatibility of flange patterns because I don't have much knowledge about the specs used by Ford.

Hopefully all of the above gives some hope of correcting the sagas Mafia is having. He has gone to a lot of work and deserves credit and assistance so he doesn't blow a heap of $$ (end of grand-stand).

cheers

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to mess around with the VG30 now that I've seen a few have issues making close to 270-280rwkw.

GT30R + .87 HKS Turbine housing + HKS Cast manifold is my decision... for now lol.

I'll be happy with 270-280rwkw, more than enough in rwd 1300kg 3ltr mid range monster. :)

The GT35R would be nice BUT with the .82 it appears with cams its pretty much all in by 3500rpm. I really want it in by low 3000's.

Even if the HKS turbine housing ends up costing as much as an external gate setup I don't care, I want it looking stockish with a decent manifold (HKS Cast) and without a manifold and external gate hanging out everywhere.

Such a Pitty HKS didn't place the external gate flange underneath instead of on top.

Good choice.

The ex gate isn't too obvious if you are still running a cross over pipe. You can alway plate it and run an internal gate turbo, theres a heap of room around the exhaust side once installed.

And because you are running a 30 block you probably wont have the same issues fitting the big ass comp cover in that i did :D (stupid engine mount)

Mafia wat boost controler are u looking 4

i f**ked around with my eboost2 and got more bottom to mid range from the 3 settings

1 is boost

2 is turbo sensativity

3 is waste gate preshor

i have muked around with these in the past few days and i have found that i completly changed how it would spool and how fast it spool how much and top boost preshor

might help cause you can fin tune your turbo

just a thourgh by the way 1 of the better theads clever peolpe and good discusions

james

Separate but related info from above.

The unavailability of a suitable internally gated housing for the GT30 core (in Australia at least) seems about to be corrected.

Here is the information from Garrett Aust.

"we are producing .63A/R and .82A/R Turbine Housings for the GT30 (Turbine Exducer Diameter 54.86mm) range of Turbochargers, manufacture of the tooling required is in progress. We would hope to have the finished Housings available about end March 2006

At this stage we don't plan to make anything smaller

All Mounting and Outlet Flanges will be same as GT35 currently used on BA Falcon XR6 Turbo"

Racespec has made it known that he will be able to supply these complete units by around Easter.  No doubt this is the case with GCG, HP in a box, MTQ etc.

Discopotato may be able to chime in here re the compatibility of flange patterns because I don't have much knowledge about the specs used by Ford.

Hopefully all of the above gives some hope of correcting the sagas Mafia is having.  He has gone to a lot of work and deserves credit and assistance so he doesn't blow a heap of $$ (end of grand-stand).

cheers

dude, you're an absolute legend... I owe you something cronic.

Yes Dale FZ1 confirmed turbo specs , 90 trim cropped GT30 turbine with 52 trim TO4S compressor . The only available housing that suits it and has a hope of working is one of the HKS ext gate T3 flanged housings . From memory both HKS GT2835 Pro S housings are for the 84 t version of the cropped turbine . Still leaves you with the water pump grade compressor though .

The turbine housing on the XR6 edition GT3540R (GT3582R) has the T3 flange and a unique dump pipe pattern . This housing is not manufactured by Garrett and has FORD cast onto it . I have seen one and remember thinking that it would have a hard time bypassing (wasting) enough exhaust gas on a hard worked GT3540R - but it also has a .50a/r TO4E compresser cover on the cold side which probably limits airflow . Ford went to a lot of trouble to kill the fun with much more than a blurts worth of boost in std form . Reasonably cheap, compact and make torque from cranking revs on the bloated toad mobile . Got the legs on the 8 though !

Honestly I think the HKS housings are better , much better cast finish and the critical nossle/volute section is a bit nicer than Garretts Diesel housings . With HKS Pro S housings , a lot of effort has been spent on making the waste gate capable of a lot of flow with less resistance than your typical Garrett integral housing . The flap is huge in comparison and the gas port has been shaped to flow easily beyond the valve itself . I'd say its an attempt to make an integral gate housing work properly with high pressure ratios (boost) but they're pretty selective of which compressor they use at the other end . Have you noticed how they don't want to sell you a .87a/r housing with the GT2835R version and trying to get the .68 housing on the GT3037 Pro S is probably difficult . Its all to do with avoiding surge and high exhaust manilold pressure which promotes boost creep amongst other nasties .

I've lost interest in 2L 4's (FJT) and aim to jump over the short stroke short rod RB25/26's to an RB30DET so GT30R's/GT3037R's are not what I'll need . If I did I would have tried to get either a 52T version of the GT3037 or the REAL GT3071R and used a HKS Pro S exhaust housing . The cheapest option would be the XR6 turbo but I think I can do better . SK said he had a bit to do with a 30DET with an .82a/r GT3540R and it worked very well . As always the issue is the waste gate which must have been external , its a pity HKS didn't make a Pro S version of the GT3540R but then they didn't see many 3L's did they .

Cheers A .

Mafia - I had a VG30 rear housing into a rx7 core and rear wheel with a .60 at t4 front and the max power i was able to get was about 240rwkw.

Do you know what trim t04 wheel you used on the Rx7 core ?

No idea... it was just a t04 60 front. dont have any specs its long gone. did not make enough power for me.

The guy said who built it that it will get me 300rwhp and he right on the money. it made about 330 ish

Mafia

I wouldnt bother with this as i installed a 14psi XR6 upgrade wastegate actuator (spring was rated for 14psi) it changed it a LITTLE but still dropped 5 6 psi up top without fail every boost.

Your going to have to go for a larger rear housing to fix this :)

hhmm... Just thinking, I have a few ideas to try and make this a little better.

First I am gonig to install a spring on the wastegate flap to try and create a bit more tention, to see if its blowing open.

Second, I am going to do what I have been meaning to do for a while and get a better boost controller than a bleed valve - The powerFC boost control kit. My mate set up the Link boost control kit and his boost was hitting way harder, and much better and earlier. You could even hear the turbo work a lot harder.

The exhaust housing:  Do you all think I should get the garrett equavilent .63 internal gate housing, or go a step bigger and get the .86 internal garret housing?

I'm a little confused. Will the specs of the turbo help? I'm going to get them and post them up

Cubes there's no reason not to try a GT30R with big housings its just that it may struggle if you put lots of boost and revs into it . I tend to think the 35R with the middle sized .82 should be good , my comment about the XR6T is because of the flange and gate type . SK tells me that we should not be scared of the 1.06 housing if the CR and tune is right on a 3L .

Anyhow its probably safe to say that VG30 housings work on RB25/VG30 turbos and the GCG hi flow . For anything else including Ser 4/5 RX7 hybrids its a waste of time and money .

Cheers A .

I've been thinking a little more simplistically for a second.

Think about this - Coming on boost , there shouldn't be much pressure to blow open the wastegate flapper because the car isn't on boost yet, creating flow with would create lots of gas in the exhaist manifold.

So really, when everyone else says the exhaust housing is too small too much pressure in the ehaust manifold etc etc, then it should be coming onto boost like REALLY early and overboosting etc, maybe even causing damage, and being really "tired" or reluctant up top due to the exhaust housing being small creating a restriction?

But Up top, it pulls its hardest. Like really hard. Much better than V8's kind of top end power.

I mean think about it, its a .63 housing and its

almost 5000rpm to make 15psi in 2nd

4500rpm to make 15psi in third

bit over 4000rpm to make boost in 4th.

What the hell is going on... Its a tiny housing... It should be making boost so bloody early its not funny.

Surley having a TO4S 7 blade wheel and .7 comp cover wouldn't make that much lag?

Edited by The Mafia

I mean think about it, its a .63 housing and its

almost 5000rpm to make 15psi in 2nd

4500rpm to make 15psi in third

bit over 4000rpm to make boost in 4th.

What the hell is going on... Its a tiny housing... It should be making boost so bloody early its not funny.

Surley having a TO4S 7 blade wheel and .7 comp cover wouldn't make that much lag?

No it wont. I have a t300s, which is the same t04s comp wheel as you and a .63 T3 rear turbine that looks to be identical(ex gate though). However it is a hks low mount setup.

I can have 7, 12, 17 or 20 psi all in by 3200rpm (that's in third, it's too quick for me to tell accurately in second as i have to look at the hand controller, my stock tacho is a waste of space). And it isn't ball bearing either.

Disco seems to be having fun bagging the t04s comp wheel, but as far as i can tell, it isn't alot worse than the current generation 6 blade wheel. It is less efficient, particularly at low boost levels, and wont make the same outright power as the current generation wheel. The power you are making is pretty much on the money considering the fuel used and the boost you are running. Your issue is response, the power will sort itself out if and when you run more boost, just don't expect 270 plus like bigcarl, i made 240 at the same boost, which i was happy with considering the response i have. I dont have cams either and the exhaust gear is set to zero atm.

I'd be looking for thing's like intake restrictions, exhaust restrictions, possible cam timing (particularly if the timing belt has been changed). The stock exhaust manifold should be able to flow enough that you can make 7-14psi early in the rev range, even if it drops off at the top end. In all honesty with the log style manifold and bb core you should have better response than me. Also considering the highflows have a near enough identical rear wheel and work well, i wonder how the rear housing can be an issue.

so you think that there is something wrong with the exhaust?

Paulr33 said earlier that this could be a problem, and it is on my list of things to do in checking it out. But Paul seemed to think that the exhaust was stopping the power goning any higher than what it is...maybe it's causing the lag?

So you do agree that there is definately a problem that needs to be fixed that isn't the turbo?

I mean, come on, 4500rpm for 15psi in third? The turbo can't be THAT bad of a mix.

There is definately something fishy going on... And its PISSING ME OFF. An RB20 with a T88 would be more responsive than this POS.

heh.. sorry, its making me cranky. I hate lag, thats why I installed a .63 housing.....

I highly doubt the intake is causing a restriction - I've got a Pod filter connected to a Q41 90mm AFM, and 4 inch all the way to the bell mouth. Then I think its 2.5 or 3 inch Apexi plumbing all the way through a 600x300x75 FMIC, and all the way to the standard throttle body.

Maybe my cat is f**ked? Or maybe blocked?

The exhaust is that fantastic Split front pipe, in a 3 inch cat, 3.5 inch through a straight through muffler, and 4 inch though a cannon....WTF....

Guessing, the weakest links could be that cat, might be blocked from all the toluene or something, or it could be that muffler somehow.

Next thing I will check is to see of the Wastegate flapper is creeping, if it isn't, Powerfc boost control kit.

Then I want to get a Water Methanol setup and put 17psi through it, advance timing and 95 ron fuel. Maybe that will stop pre ignition enough to get some decent power out of it. After the water meth goes in, I will probably go to either townsville or Mercury motor sports to get it tuned properly.

If all that fails, I am going to get a rum bottle, some rag, and put some of that awesome 95 ron fuel in it, light it and smash it through the windscreen.

Edited by The Mafia

I can have 7, 12, 17 or 20 psi all in by 3200rpm (that's in third, it's too quick for me to tell accurately in second as i have to look at the hand controller, my stock tacho is a waste of space). And it isn't ball bearing either.

If I had this, I'd be the happiest guy in the world. I need to work out whats wrong!

But Up top, it pulls its hardest. Like really hard. Much better than V8's kind of top end power.

V8s have top end??

Do a run on the dyno with no cat. I had a similar problem were I wasnt making power and it turned out to be the cat. My best mod was removing it :)