SAU Community

R32gtst Vs 180sx

if the 180sx was sr20det it would be quicker, street wise the 180sx can look just as good imo if it was a type x.

interior is about the same... but it really depends. i would rather a r32 gtst over a ca18det 180sx, but not over a sr20det or type x 180sx.. depends which type your talking to mate? there are alot of variations...

Dayne

gts-t better brakes handling least power rb20

180sx slide happy sr20 :P weight is lower smaller back seats

I don't like R32 look unless its a GTR r32 that what i am getting now and i not to keen on rb20 motor i killed to many R32 in my R33 lol go the 25

imo, i prefer skylines in general

comparing s13's vs r32's, you'll find that the S series of cars in japan is marketed as the budget model, (price of a '92 gtst was 2,638k yen, price of a '92 180sx sr20det was 1,937). And you find that S13's cut a lot of corners (smaller oil lines, shit brakes, 4-stud, smaller radiator, cheaper looking interior etc.)

However, in defence to sr20det's rb20's have SFA low-down torque compared to SRs, and for off-boost drivability the sr's have a lot going for them. the upside to rb20det's is they love to rev their tits off and are practically bulletproof, whilst sr's don't like the high rpm as much and tend to die more often and are expensive to replace c/w rb20det's....

a sr 180sx will probably out-perform (stock vs stock), but i think the skyline just feels like a much more "complete" car to me.

Edited by MerlinTheHapyPig

Your budget will probably also affect your decision, but the advice by merlin is basically the difference. The Skyline is a better built car, the 180 is a cheaper version. It also depends on what you're after in terms of comfort, racing (track, drift, drag), power etc.

this is one of those threads that can go on for days about peoples opinions and gets no where..

what really matters is not what others think, but what YOU think about the cars..

some things that may differ and may be of importance when considering purchasing one include:

- looks

- acceleration

- braking

- handling

- interior comfort

- modifying potential

- credability

all these points differ between the R32 and the S13.. and its all up to you

to directly answer your question now, and remember that this is purely based on my opinion:

- looks: R32 looks the goods; S13 looks like an old 300zx and is bland

- acceleration: both pretty similar and depends on how modified the car is. remember that there are no stock versions going around these days

- braking: R32 has bigger brakes and brakes very well

- handling: both pretty similar i think. i love how the R32 handles and from memory LSD was an option on the S13 but standard on the R32 so that may help it grip around corners a bit better

- interior comfort: R32 is biger which helps when you are 6"4

- modifying potential: both have great potential. sr20 > rb20 > ca18 from what i have read

- credability: no jap car beats the cred of a skyline, after all that's why we are joined up with SAU isn't it?

hope that helped,

Warren.

Just something which is well put together and isn't going to cost a bomb to maintain/modify etc.. Roughly what should I be paying for a R32 GTST?

i pain 12k for mine about 2.5 years ago and have had no problems since..

i think the key is to buy something that is stock as there are many thrashed cars around that are waiting to kick the bucket.. old and poor mods are a good sign of this..

Warren.

i drove both before making my decision........

I suggest that you do the same as that was the end factor in my decision....

180 wasnt as good on the road..... power only picked up higher in the rev range and the interior is smaller......

r32 bit bigger, handles like a go kart... boosts from like 2grand... sounds awesome.. goes awesome and im VERY VERY happy with my decision!

Don't consider the 180sx if it's a CA18DET. One of the advantages of the SR20DET in my opinion is the amount of mods and comparative cheapness of said mods compared to other engines.

For me the choice was pretty simple... I just hate the way the 180sx looks, and love the boxy, straight angles of the R32, so I bought a little '89 gtst with RB20DET and I love it. Bare in mind I've never driven a 180sx tho so I can't really compare driveability. I think as someone mentioned above your first factor should be what you think looks best :mellow:

why not a 180 with a RB lol best of both worlds

Dont you mean the worst of both worlds? R32 with sr would be the best :mellow:

Ultimately the choice will be yours. The 32 is better built, the 180 is cheaper to modify.

As far as which is better, you are going to have to take a few for a drive, look at the overall condition and price and make a decision based on that.

Both are good cars, i've been in some pretty quick examples of both. Bang for buck my mates old sil80 shat on anything i've ever been in, owned or driven and it only ever had the usual bolt ons and a set of cams, stock ecu and injectors and a jap s15 turbo. Made about 190rwkw and was an absolute weapon. My R32 with 220rwkw feels slow in comparison and has cost me twice as much (thats with an rb25 too so no big torque hole at the bottom end).

The 180's/silvias arent really that much lighter than an R32 GTSt, they are both pretty light cars... I bought my R32 as a drifter and haven't regretted my decision... You would be right in saying that 180's are cheaper to modify... But I like the way the skyline looks much more than the 180..

I too agree that an r32 would be a better choice,as far as i remember the 180 i test drove felt like a rattling go cart with too many noises and standard build quality in comparison to a 32.

its nice but as it sits lower than a 32 but has a kinda 80s sports car look to it!