SAU Community

R32gtst Vs 180sx

there seems to be a lot of favour here for the R32. ask the same question on the nissansilvia website, and they'd tell you to buy the 180. go figure.....

buy whatever your comfortable with and what you see yourself cruising around in.

180s in general are over priced, a expensive version of a sivia. They are over price because of demand of coarse like the R32 it is holding its value very well people like the 32 because it more like the 34 and we all love that..... well I do.

another good point is 32s are less common than the 33, part parts are a good price in comparison.

ok look, like a few others have said.... this thread will go on forever and then some if you keep asking short questions like that.

what do YOU as a person want??? you dont have to know every single inch of each engine or car to know what you want in the end, line up all 3 models and think about what most appeals to you looks wise, then look into engine capabilities if thats what you want the car for and then modding capabilities and so on.

R32 gts-t is an all round sports car ( even though im not a huge fan, its a known fact ), R33 is a good tourer and cruiser car above all else but still has sports car advantages, and 180's are primarily drifters..... go to any drift even and i garuantee you'll see more 180's, than most other cars.

anything else i havnt mentioned, someone else can fill in :O:)

I think in general, as probably already stated, that bost cars have their advantages and disadvantages. Both have alot of aftermarkets available to them due to their age and popularity.

As someone stated, the rb20det is more of a 'stronger' motor, so therefore, can take more punishment (harder wearing)

The r32 gtst was made from 89-94 i believe, and the 180sx from 88-98. Obviously, the newer typeX 96-98 is much more expensive then the older models.

From what ive seen, r32gtsts' go from around 10-15k, 180sx can be as low as 6k to the newer models, 25k.

In speed magazine, they had a road test between the silvia (s13), r32gtst and the rx7 fc. Out of those cars, they recommended the s13(for the "fun factor"), while the rx-7 won in terms of general performance, and the r32gtst was an all rounder.

Of course in the end, its up to you. You need to find something that fits into your budget and your wants. B)

get a 180 for sure, those things r pretty damn fast and will kill a r32gts-t, the only r32 that was gud was the GTR, that is undeniable, the GTR was the king of all cars in 1990's but the 180's luk, sound and feel mad, this is obviously unbiased as i own a gts r33 myself

some biased opinions here :D

coming from a 180sx owners perspective (please note I have driven a lot of 32 gts-ts, gtrs etc).

The sr20det is potent and cheap to mod, extract 200kw to 250kw easily depending on budget. it is reliable if u dont keep it at redline and maintain it well, although a lot have been thrashed. rb20dets are nice, smooth engines, great note but dont feel like they have the torque or the low-mid range punch the sr20 has.

The 180sx (with coilovers) handles a LOT better than any coilover equipped r32 I have ever driven. 32s just feel heavy and slow to turn in, the 180 is very responisve in its turn in, can enter corners MUCH faster etc etc etc. no bias here, just fact.

as for looks etc, thats all personal opinion, both can look great. interior wise, each to their own.

I truly believe the 180sx is a better car than the 32 (i dont like silvias)...but its all down to personal opinion. but i do say the 180 does handle better, can have the same power potential and is cheaper on the fuel.

• 1 month later...

Sr20det 180SX :(

In my opinion the 180SX looks better or had more potential to look better than the R32 (ohh i can hear r32 fans booing lol).

I just R32's a lil boxy but have goood solid performance of the straight 6 RB20det to compliment that. The R32 engine sounds alot sexier than the 180SX i think.

But overal due to power to weight ratio and goign by looks

I take the 180SX :)

I recently went through the same choices you are making right now, i wanted to upgrade from my nissan pulsar. I looked at a few different cars including 180sx, s13 silvia, r32, r33, rx7. I have driven many cars when i worked for a import yard doing detailing, admin, mechanic work. I can honestly say i found the 180 just lacking the stability of the R32, both had coilovers but the 180 was just too light on the rear and for track work and quick street twisties it just couldnt put the power down without getting the tail out, it feels light and for me it just wasnt right. I took the 33 out and this was the complete opposite, quite heavy and felt big.... again just not for me. next was the 32..... I took this out and honestly there was alil bit of a low torque hole but thats made up for by the sheer reving engine and ability to chuck it into the corners and actually put the power on the road better (if u can get a R32 Gts4) then get it because u'd get GTR grip with the option of pulling a fuse and wallaa RWD. I got a GTST with apexi coilovers, Bee R full exhaust, HKS filter,300zx TT brake upgrade, standard boost etc etc and this lil thing is quick in twisties and on straights too, it wouldnt take long to hit the rev limit. To me i didnt want a ass out drifter or worry about traction when having fun through hills. Thats why i got the R32 it had great brakes, great handling and best of all it looks nice and strong no noise from creaking etc even when on bumpy rds etc, all for $16600!

All up, take all ur choices for a nice drive or go for rides in the different types and make up a top 2 and decide on that. It depends on ur personal tastes and driving style

cheers BOOSTA

I would say if your after more bang for your buck go the 180sx. 32 gtst's can be pretty laggy in stock form due to the fact its a small displacement 6 cylinder. Having said that the RB will out rev the SR any day and if the RB is in good health it really is a stronger platform to build from.

If you dont plan on doing much and you want power from the word go 180sx would be my choice....Just dont buy a CA18DET :lol:

Edited by alphanumeric

The 180 you'll be getting, (if manual), will most likely have been an auto. Now that is YUK! Problems galore.

The car has a real cheap feeling to it, cause you only have to look at the plastic handbrake and the awfull seats. CHEAP as chips

Also dont rev it too high cause the motor will blow.

And to all the r33 owners, I have blown away tooo many lardass 33s, ive lost count.