SAU Community

Painting Fmic

insu

I can see several problems running peltiers...

1. They aren't very powerful and therefore you would need lots to get sufficient cooling capacity

2. Attaching them to the intercooler in an effective manner may be a challenge

3. You might lose more power through the electrical system than what you gain by the cooler charge air

4. The peltiers need effective cooling of the the hot side to get the cold side suitably cool

Only way i could see it happening is if you designed a custom IC that is set up to take the peltiers, and then refeer to point 3. It would probably look quite different to a traditional IC.

Woefully ineffecient, the extra amount of electrical current needed to cool suffuciently, would FAR outway potential engine power gains from the cooler inlet charge. But this isn't the thread for it.

Hey guys thanks for all the input, and thanks for posting up those other threads that I couldn't find. One more thing though, does anyone know about the issue of lag and return on the same or different side of the intercooler core? I cant find any threads using the search button. I'm probably just typing in the wrong strings though...

Thanks, Tom

I have spoken extensively with the head engineer at Calsonic - one of the largest cooling suppliers in Japan.

They have done tests between black body radiators and naked alu radiators, and there is, for all intensive purposes FU(K ALL difference in efficiency between the two.

He mentioned they are often asked by cleints to dust the radiators / coolers black for aesthetics only.

I'm sure that still won't put an end to these discussions, but you may be best looking for supposed 'inefficiencies' elsewhere like cooler pipe length and heatsoak there.

I don't think anyone here was really trying to find an efficiency or inefficiency but just wondering if they painted their intercooler for asthetic reasons would it cause any problems.

oh yep cool... :P

well he said that as long as you don't cover it in 5mm of paint (just a light dust once over) they're A-OK

:D

Ive got a HKS cooler painted black, actually its painted with the stuff the paint radiators with, etch prime?

I only did it for stealth qualities though, but in the end would u really notice if it lost u power?