SAU Community

Number Plates - Worth It?

br3tt

Hey guys.

Ever since I got my skyline I had always wanted a semi-decent plate to set it off.

I was particulary looking at the "Customised Yellow" plates, with something like "BR3TT" or something cool.

But for some of the things I've entered, and that have been available, the price of $400 seems to be the go.

I was just wondering what you guys thought on it..

Insurance + Rego is enough, and copable on the job i have, especially for a Learner, but $400 seems to just ad onto the never ending list.. lol

Yep, I think its worth it.

on my daily driver lancer I have SP 983 in blue to match the car(initials and date of birth ie september 83)

and on my line I have SL 32 IM in red. cos black car with red plates looks hawt

so my nicname including the car I drive, R32. :P

Edited by sl!m

What about BRE-37T?

I personally can't justify the $400/year fee for personalised plates. I already pay $70/year for blue plates with my initials on them and I think that's a rip off. You'd be better off spending the money on other mods :P

I think it should only be ~ $130 on white or coloured plates as it's the same format as general release plates.

If you get it on yellow, then you'll be hit with the $400 fee.

edit

Cost: $30.00 ordering fee plus annual fee of $90.00

BRE 37T

Edited by sl!m

i personally don't like the coloured plates. i think they look pretty tacky. there is only one plate i ever considered for the GTR and i got it thank god The cool thing is i got the same plate for the soarer (sort of). If i hadn't got that i would have just gone general issue. though i do hate the new AA 99 AA format the old AAA 999 looked better i think.

I think it should only be ~ $130 on white or coloured plates as it's the same format as general release plates.

If you get it on yellow, then you'll be hit with the $400 fee.

Yeah lol I typed it in wrong <_< :D

I'm not 100% on what I'm gonna do. To be totally honest I don't like the look of BRE - 37T

I never really liked the look of coloured plates, but it might look semi-decent on the skyline.

If I had it my way, and a yearly fee of $400 wasn't in play, i'd grab BR3TT right now..

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions/help guys.. It's appreciated. We'll see what happens.

Anything's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

The only waste of $400 a year bigger than plates with some pithy (pseudo-)word would be if I just went to a bank, withdrew $400 in 5c pieces, let the bank take their handling fee, and then poured the difference down a drain.

If it were a one-off cost, maybe....but I'm not going to pay upkeep on something as useless as a license plate.

$400 a year would pay for a Comp-R semi-slick with some change, or maybe 2 street tyres, or bits and pieces for my car, or any range of stuff that would have a tangible benefit to the way my vehicle performs.

But, that's just my thoughts and my priorities (which you asked for, before all the vanity plate fans tell me to STFU).

If you feel that your automotive goals aren't complete unless your car has a thin sheet of metal screwed to the bumpers of your car, with up to 6 alphanumeric characters that you'll never see while operating said vehicle and enjoying your apparent sports car the way the manufacturer intended, then by all means go ahead.

Given your limited budget, you can't afford to modify it with all the performance parts you want and a set of vanity plates, you just need to decide what part of the automotive experience is more important to you....

lol no work ,no plates.

mine have gone (GRUNTN rip) i loved my plate owned it for 5yrs

mm :P 5x400=$2000 for five years that's a big plate :) hehehe it depends on what you want for your car. you can have alot of fun with plates. its funny when people read and say the plate when your driving then turn there head just to make sure it's on the back aswell.

:lol: $400 is nothing if you own a skyline!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: this plate is available ( F8L ) n.s.w custom

Edited by BIKES

scathing thanks for your opinion.

The thing is, with the "do up your car" posts, with the NSW P Plater rule, and not being able to drive a turbo, i'm pretty limited.

My car has a 400R front bar, veilside skirts and veilside backs, 18" rims and modded dash and sound system, anything cosmetic is basically done and looks awesome.

My dream is to get a R34 GTT when I get off my P's, rather then do up my R33 to make it turbo.

When it comes down to it, Plates might be the go, considering as I've mentioned, the kit, sound system, modded dash etc is complete, not much more to do.

I'm still undecided, and my parents were talking to me and they might be coming to the party and paying them for me.. (maybe) :)

Thanks again for the opinions, and you can keep them coming.

$400 would buy springs, or most of the way to a set of swaybars. Better tyres aren't banned under the new laws (although on 18" you'd be lucky to get one semi-decent tyre), and a set of decent sports brake pads are available.

What kind of tyres are you running? How are your brakes going?

Who said anything about turbo'ing your R33? There's more to performance than going fast; all the Jap import guys get all snotty over bogans with the fact that their cars stop and handle better than some Falcodore. Why not improve on a good thing?

Or, since you're planning on getting rid of the car and buying another one as soon as you can...you could just stick the money in the bank or spend it on stuff that has a higher return. Mods don't really increase the value of the car, and getting rid of them on the second hand market won't see you get too much back.

You could also do an advanced driver training course every year and / or a couple of track days, to learn more skills and to keep them sharp.

But, as I said, it depends on what your priorities are. If you're after something to work on the driving craft rather than something to be seen in, there's still plenty you could do to make your car go quicker point to point without violating the law. New suspension, new brakes, grippier tyres and weight reduction don't "modify engine performance", and its always a good feeling to outrun someone with more power than you.