SAU Community

Wrx Problem

i currently own a 1999 wrx evo 3 club spec totally stock.I bought the car about 2 weeks ago and it seems that the engine is choking at low revs,also i get a rotten egg smell when i stretch the gears.I took it back to the dealer about the problem and they changed the air flow meter but it still does it.If anyone could tell me what this problem is i'd really appreciate it.

Edited by DFECTV 33

i currently own a 1999 wrx evo 3 club spec.I bought the car about 2 weeks ago and i get a bit of lag or it could b that5 the engine is choking.I took it back to the dealer about the problem and they changed the air flow meter but it still does it.If anyone could tell me what this problem is i'd really appreciate it.

Is it stock ? What do you mean by " i get a bit of lag " ? Slow to respond or missing ? Stock rexes are not laggy at all .

dont hold me to this but i have been told that that ROTTEN EGG SMELL is from a new or near new cat convertor.

i have experianced this personally with a really expensive system i had fitted to a previous car, it was that bad that i had to take it back to the shop i didnt even want anybody to sit in my car it was that bad but it slowly went away.

Yeah, a WRX forum would be the best to post it on.

The "rotten egg" smell is sulphur, and I noticed it in my first car (which was designed for Super) when I ran it on really shitty unleaded, which has a lower octane rating. Dropped in some Super or Premium, and it was fine.

What kind of fuel are you running? Not just the octane level, but the brand. If you're putting regular unleaded from some dodgy independent (or even dodgily-run brand name place, really) then:

1. Why are you driving a WRX, or any sports car, if you're going to do the automotive equivalent of making an athlete drink sewage?

2. Try running it on Shell, Caltex, Mobil or BP Premium.

I don't think its a new cat problem. When I got my car it had 24km on the odo, and it never stank. It's also only ever had 3 tanks of anything less than 98RON fuel go through it, too. The old man's last 2 cars, which was designed for regular unleaded, has never stunk up either. But then he's always run it on Caltex for the first car, and then BP for the second.

It could be that the cat isn't screening out all the sulphur from the exhaust, though.

Edited by scathing

its totally stock and it seems like it misses more than lag...at low revs its pretty bad

It sounds like you have a miss not lag , it could be anything from spark plugs, coils or any electrical problem if only at low rpm, its hard to say when you cant describe exacly what it does . Take it to the dealer and let them sorted out .

Is this from a Subaru dealer, or just any run-of-the-mill used car shonky dealer?

If he's a Subaru dealer, then report him to Subaru for being a di(khead - any mechanic worth his salt will know that the rotten egg smell (H2S - Hydrogen Sulphide) is caused by a faulty catalytic converter and/or too much sulphur in the fuel in the first place.