SAU Community

Using Diesel As Engine Flush.

DVS-8OR

I was told by a friend who is a apprentice mechanic that putting diesel fuel in ur engine oil is better at getting rid of gunk and cheaper than buying the engine flush from auto stores.

Has anyone heard of this or know if it true?

well kero is a great engine flush too....but just stick to the safe engine flush products unless you want to take a chance.

Actually if it is a really crap old engine with lots of gunk like the datto it can dislodge chunks and cause trouble elswhere

One of the oldest trick in the book, to re-bed rings is to stick 1litre of kero in 3 litres of oil and run it for 30 sec, and what it does is removes vegemite from your sump and re-bed the rings, But i would only do it to a solid stock motor, not a hypo rb. Well if it's blowing smoke and carries on, what else have you got to lose.

Yes, this type of flush will work. It will actually work better than some of the proper engine flushes out there on the market. You should only use about 600ml and run your car around the block...make sure you get good oil pressure on this drive because if you just let it sit there and idle...the gunk it removes can block the oil relief valve in the oil pump or clog up a lifter.

If you drive it, however, you will not have this problem.

I would use it on any engine that has less than 250,000 km as an engine this old sometimes needs carbon build up to help seal.

At any rate, your friend is right....just remember to not use too much and make sure you drive it for a few minutes then dump the oil while the engine is still hot (don't wait for it to cool down)