SAU Community

Rear Wheel Bearing Advice/assistance Required.

superspit

Hi Skliner's....wsup inda...er ...anyways...........

Rear bearing noise is starting to bug me and my G/f now. (no, it's not the tyres!!).

Gotta have music on to stop me from getting annoyed!!

Please, if anyone here has had to do their 'rears', could you please suggest a reputable place to get mine done? (maybe good on price too?)

I thanx u in advance!!

Mark. :)

u must be talking about the bearing on the input shaft thingo.. sounds like a fairly expensive job cause the whole shaft etc has to come out and whether or not it is easy to get the bearing out would be another story.. but i havnt done one nor heard one wearing out?

I can't remember....did I report that on a service I did for you like 6 months ago? It may have been someone else.

not a hard job. Takes about 1.5-2 hrs. Just have to source the bearing once it's out. Call 07 3245 6333 and tell Craig that Daniel told you to call and get a price.

Are you 100% it's wheel bearing noise, not gearbox or diff, have you jacked up the rears and given them a 'wobble' to see what shape the bearings are in?

Giving them a 'wobble' will not tell you if the bearing is stuffed. You need to spin the wheel and put your hand on the closest part of the stub axle and feel for grittiness. These are a pressed and sealed bearing, a 'wobble' only works when the bearings are loose not when the casing is worn.

Giving them a 'wobble' will not tell you if the bearing is stuffed.  You need to spin the wheel and put your hand on the closest part of the stub axle and feel for grittiness.  These are a pressed and sealed bearing, a 'wobble' only works when the bearings are loose not when the casing is worn.

you're right on the money in this case!

Tried the wobble test...all is tight!!

I had an annoying noise (rumble) thought it was a front wheel bearing as it gave a little vibration through shock tower when spun. Replaced wheel bearing myself (not a fun job)

Turned out being the tail shaft had taken a hit from the exhaust (common issue as large exhausts hang low and right under tailshaft...

2nd hand tailshaft - all is good - get someone to look at it that knows - saves hassle

Edited by benl1981

Is there a 'safe' way to test for bearing noise? (wobble test shows no slack).

I had my front bearings done 1 year ago, but that place went out of business since then.

The noise in the rear is exactly the same as the noise I use to have in the front , before being fixed. (therefore I am presuming bearings!)

All I know is that apparently the front and rear bearings require different amounts of labour (time) to replace. the bearing also are alot more expensive too, I've heard (?).

Thanx so much for replies so far!!

Is there a 'safe' way to test for bearing noise? (wobble test shows no slack).

I had my front bearings done 1 year ago, but that place went out of business since then.

The noise in the rear is exactly the same as the noise I use to have in the front , before being fixed.  (therefore I am presuming bearings!)

All I know is that apparently the front and rear bearings require different amounts of labour (time) to replace. the bearing also are alot more expensive too, I've heard (?).

Thanx so much for replies so far!!

I already told you how to safely check for worn bearings.

• 1 month later...