SAU Community

R32 Power Steering Heavy - Help!

armbrusb

Hi,

I am experiencing a little problem with my my power steering. I have not checked the system all over (under the car) for leaks yet, but everything from the top of the car looks ok. I have a R32 GTS4. I have a HICAS lock bar on, which means I have taken off my HICAS pump and power steering cooler. I have removed the rear vane from the pump and have blocked off the rear outlet. I have also blocked off the extra line from the resevoir. I have cut the wires that come out of the power steering resevoiur as I guess they are just for to low level light on the dashboard which has also been removed. All of this has been in place for approx 3-4 months.

The problems is that my power steering works well for about 3 minutes after the car is started. After that it becomes considerably heavy (but not as heavy as when there is no power steering). This is quite anoying as I have replaced the belt and am sure that I have adjsuted the pulley to provide enough tension on the belt.

Any thoughts because this makes me hate my Skyline!

I had intermitant power steering problems due to low battery voltage, the rest of the car was fine but, it was too low to operate the solenoid properly. Was especially hairy when things suddenly went hard mid-way thru a corner!

The hard-steering co-incided with the hicas light flashing, perhaps put yours back in and check it out, and check your voltages ofcourse. :P

I could see mine through my CONSULT interface, but you can just jam some multimeter probes in your cigarette lighter socket, turned out to be a bad lead between my alternator and battery on my car therefore wasn't delivering enough charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. This is the second pretty silly thread I have started regarding maintenance on my cart - I'm sorry. It turns out that the plug for the power steer computer under my rear parcel tray was partially unplugged. After having pushed the plug in fully everything seems to be OK.

I have a new question though regarding the computer. Does anyone know what it does. As I have metnioned, I no longer have HICAS. Maybe I could redo some of the wiring so that I can remove the computer altogether - just because it annoys me now!