SAU Community

Couple Of Questions Car Going Over The Pit.

syx

Howdy,

I just took my 33 down to the RTA place in Mount Gambier.

The guy had a 'ooo a import, im gonna defect this till the cows come home' look about him. I think he actually rubbed his hands together when he saw it.

So he asks to look at the engine and straight away tells me that the blow off valve is illegal. I said, 'thats strange because it is stock'. He moved on pretty quick after that :lol:

THen he said that the boost guage was illegal, I asked why, and he said that it can change the boost, and I said no it is ONLY a guage. Then he said that cops will defect me for it. I thought that its only defectable if its higher that the dash, I said that too him and he said I would get defected anyway because cops will THINK that its a boost controller. THen he started with the whole 'I could defect you right now but I'm not going to' power-over speech. To stop me asking questions. :)

So after that rant, what I need help with are these things.

Where can I get a tyre placard ? About how much?

I have a turbo timer in the ash tray. Do I really need to take it out? Are they gonna look in there or be able to tell its there from seeing wires or somthing somewhere else ? And how much is it gonna cost to take off ?

How much is it gonna cost to get 'Child support anchor points' put in ?

Ive also got to raise the car 2cm because it is too low. He said I will need to buy new springs. Is that true ? or is there an easy way to do it ?

Thanks for reading this far, any help will be hugely appreciated.

Clinton

How much is it gonna cost to get 'Child support anchor points' put in ?

I thought this was supposed to be done as part of compliance?

Ive also got to raise the car 2cm because it is too low. He said I will need to buy new springs. Is that true ? or is there an easy way to do it ?

No LEGAL way to do it other than new springs I'm afraid.

Hope I've been a little help.

Edited by chops

I thought this was supposed to be done as part of compliance?

Yeah, the guy said that the compliance shop and the person who originally let it go through the pits stuffed up.

i would have told the guy to go f*ck himself. sounds like he was on a power trip and didnt know shit all.

And you would have walked away with an even longer list of defects.

syx, grab some new springs, or see if you can borrow some stock susp. for the inspection, swapping them in and out isn't too painful, as for kiddie seat points take it to a compliance shop and ask for a quote.

Where can I get a tyre placard ? About how much?

I needed one too since the car was repainted the as the original got wrecked after removal.

do you know anyone else with a 33? Take a pic of their placcard, go home, open up MS Word, insert table, copy figures, print onto glossy adhesive paper, print and stick into door jam. Mine looks sweet. Can hardly tell it from an original. Id send you the file but dont have it anymore.

Thanks Oosh and Sly

The print your own sticker thing sounds good, although 33's are a bit rare down here :O

Im trying to arrange a spring swap for the suspension.

With the child restraints, I have a mate who is a fitter and turner, he reckons he could make them. Does that sound legal ? Or would they have to have some sort of certificate ?

Thanks

surely some with R33 on here will help you out, i'd just slap a post in "Susp/Brake/Tyres" and ask for a piccy, while you're at it try and collect the whole set to help people out if they get in your sitch.

With the child restraints, I have a mate who is a fitter and turner, he reckons he could make them. Does that sound legal ? Or would they have to have some sort of certificate ?

Thanks

Something like that would have to comply with the relevant ADRs, and therefore would be best sourced complete.

Best of luck!

good luck mate. hope it goes well for ya

i just brought a 32gtr(from victoria) and i have to have it put ova the pits as it came in under the 15yo rule and doesnt have a complance plate therefore i apparently have to have an exempt for compliance done. i also need to get child support anchor points fitted. and have my turbo timer taken out.

hey syx

mate after i bought the TT i went custom with the mounting....i bought a 2nd ashtray and cut a hole in the back of it and piped the TT through the hole and attached it with velcro as you can see, (dont know if you tried to detach it though)

you can detach it, take the ashtray out, push the TT back into the recess behind the ashtray and then replace the ashtray and it'll look sweet, they shouldnt look twice (maybe just a strip of black tape to cover the rectangular hole)

BUT... if you do this, disconnect the battery first!!!! the wiring of the TT is such that if you pull it too hard in one direction it will short out the car and bust the main fusable link (2nd green fuse in the fuse box in the boot) after you have finsished hinding the turbo timer hookup the battery and you should be sweet (same in reverse - unhook the battery so you dont blow that fuse.)

if that fuse blows there will be no power to the car at all even the immobiliser will die

the good news is IF all else fails and you do fry that fuse

1 they about 20 bucks at your local nissan dealer and

2 there is a second fuse next to it that is the exact same type that controls the hicas system and you can pull that one and replace the main link with it so you can drive to nissan for a new one for the hicas

phew that was a long post, hope it made sense

:P

Jimbo

• 4 months later...

Ive finally had my car checked over and passed.

The things I had to do were:

Raise the car 2.5cm

Got all new springs and shocks (shocks were nearly dead anyway)

Get tyre placard

Sly33 sent me a word document, printed it out and stuck it on. The bloke didnt look twice :O

Get 'Child Restraint Anchors'

Got local shop to fit these

Remove Turbo Timer

Hidden as per Jimbo's advice (didnt even short the fuse ;) )

Hide boost controller

The boost controller is in the glovebox, it happens to be about the same size as a can of beer just a short one, so we unscrewed the little harness thingo for it, stuck a stubby holder over it and stuck other bits and pieces in the glovebox to hide it some more. All good.

(Turns out the bloke didnt even look in the glovebox :( but we were proud of our sneaky plan anyway :) )

When he had a look in the boot he started telling me that the battery was illegal... so I had to patiently explain that that's where the battery goes, didnt you notice there was no battery under the bonnet sir.

He had a quick listen to the exhaust (4 or 5 inch cannon), didnt test it at all even though the microphone thingo was sitting about a metre away from the car in the shed.

So im all legal now :)