SAU Community

Shoold We Nforse Proppa Speeling?

Just looking into a few forum plugins that tells you off if you have bad spelling in your posts.

For example:

http://www.spellingcow.com

It means that if you type in a perfect post with proper spelling you won't be hassled by the spell checker, but if it has errors (or words it dosen't recognise) then it pops up a page asking you to verify the spelling. You can still choose to ignore all or some words, correct some words etc (just like MS Word).

Although it does introduce one extra page to load between posts (which might be a hassle to 56k/dialup users).

Wat r ur thorts?

btu what about all the words that people use

FMIC

R32, R33 etc

turbz

zorst

the list goes on.. there are alot of words or abbreviations that are used so often that you dont think about it, but the spell checker wouldnt pick it up as a normal word..

Or can you add words that it can remember??

It dosen't get rid of it, it just dosen't encourage it. You can still hit "Ignore All" and it'll submit a page ridden with mistakes. I don't think it does grammar either.

Also I found that it dosen't like many abbreviations and automotive brands and terms as they are usually missplt, like "Blitz" and "blowoff" etc. Which can be annoying since that 99% of what we post about.

If you dont have to go thru the spell check every time, then it wouldnt be too bad.. but I have work network or cable at home, so the load time wouldn't bother me, im sure it could get annoying for people on dial up, doesnt matter how dialup friendly a webpage is, loading a extra page every post could get very annoying for some people. But it would be very handy for posting a new thread. thats the only time I would bother to use it I think.

I say do it. Provided you CAN customise the dictionary to take new words. One setting is usually to ignore words in all caps, so e.g. FMIC gets thru(<-spelling:)) but fmic gets pinged.

When new words are added to the dictionary are they added to the same dictionary everyone uses? or is it just for that person? Or does it just ignore words?

Cos if i rite a post like dis and then hit add to dictionary, would that stuff up everyone else's spell checker up?

Could cause problems with the amount of users on here.

Edited by shyster

Oh baby bring on the spellchecker.

Some guys still don't realise there isn't a character limit when posting on the internet...

Hey whilst we're talking about spelling, is it considered poor form to politely correct someone else's spelling mistake?

A few common ones in the last week or so are fair/fare, break/brake, servers/service, etc. To be honest, if someone was polite I would prefer to know the right way to spell something but I'm not sure if others would be offended by it...?

Ok seeing a post like this make me all for this idea..

hi,

im sure there are many p platers hu chek out dis site, including myself. for those of you out there hu do noe about the current situation regarding skylines and p platers could you please share wat u noe.

thanx  :(