SAU Community

Skyline Or 180sx

Bo05t3d

Hey guys i will have 20k to spend on my second car/first import nd i just wondered what you guys would recommend out of buying a nicely modded 180sx or a sort of modded R33 GTS-t???? :blink:

Cheers

ADAM

I chose the R33.

Sometimes I think I would have been better of with a 180sx, sometimes I don't. It all depends on what you want most out of a car.

The R33 is more comfortable, more stable on the road, handles high speeds better (200+km/h) and sounds a hell of a lot better.

The 180 is lighter and thus better for fanging around corners. It also doesn't need as much power due to the weight.

When I'm going for a run up the mountains I wish I had have bought a 180sx. When I'm flying around the corners on my country street I wish I had a 180sx. But when I'm driving along the highway with a couple of mates in the back the R33 wins hands down. When I'm taking people for rides or going on a cruise the R33 wins.

It's all about what you want out of the car. In terms of a balance of performance, quality and value they're both pretty much equal overall being damn good cars. Just pick the one that most suits your purpose.

Adam,

both cars are great cars. Depends on what you are looking for.

180SX has the SR or CA engine depending on which year. They respond really well to mods. 180SX are much lighter, if i'm not wrong they weigh about 1240kg? and the R33s weigh 1340kg.

The skylines are 'grand tourers'. Much bigger interior, bigger engine, more torque. On the hwy when the 180 sx is at 120km/h, it will struggle to increase more speed whereas the R33 will keep pulling away even at 140km/h...

I agree my mate has a 1996 180sx sr20 and it pisses, better on fuel

but the skyline can have 4 big lads in it and the girls like them

it you said supra or soara might be easyer to choose but both of these cars are very good and no mater which 1 you by some times you will wish you had the ather

grass and fence thing i gess but GO THE NISSAN

i know its not much, but take into consideration what cars live around you. a few weeks after i bought my first car, r33 gts-t, about 5 showed up where i live. i live in bathurst with only 30k ppl, but they get noticed. i think theres only 1 180.

now that i think of it, my opinion is dumb. it doesnt matter what ppl think. jsut drive them both, and see which feels better. there is enough RB25s and SR20s around to be able to get cheap mods.

yeah cheers guy....thats what my main problem was cause I love the power side i could afford with 20k on the 180sx but i always had a thing for the looks over it with the 33 but i think i will stick with the 180sx

as i think its always performance before rice...

Even though this has been covered so many times I will try to shed some light to you chosen one.

Look they are both good cars(daa everybody knows that) I am speaking from experince as i had both series 1 r33 and 94 180sx. Know im expecting a new car in a matter of days and guess what it is: 1997 skyline series 2 with the mods.

Nissan 180sx:Good sides: Lighter speed kicks in without smoothness hence you feel the power quite well, very fast even stock, respond great to mods, personally would go for the black top as they are more refined, cost less then r33.

Bad sides: Very light, cheap interior, very loud and clicky engine(as in making noise), suspension could be better and not much space. Even though all of the above it is a very good car that i enjoyed having

R33. Better build alot more solid car overall. Smooth acceleration of inline six offering more modding potential, yes it is heavier but has also got more power and by the facory stats it is slightly faster then 180. Times: 0-100 nissan 180sx 6.2 sec nIssan skyline 6.18sec. Mods vise six wil always take more then 4 cylinder hence you will better off modifing sky. Interior is alot better, looks more expensive, better suspension, feels better on the road.

Conclusion: Sky will cost more to meintain and look after simply due to being six cylinder and overally being more expensive when built. To get 180 close to sky you will need to do a bit of work in suspension department and i supose strenghten the engine unless you do an rb swap.

Either way you willnot go wrong, i personally have chosen to go back to sky

thanks

Mods vise six wil always take more then 4 cylinder hence you will better off modifing sky.

The sr20det is one hell of a motor and can put out just as much power as a rb25 can... combined with a lighter car, the 180sx will most likely always be faster.

I chose a series 2 R33 for a few reasons:

a) better built. i hear many s13 owners complaining about their rattling interiors, my r33 doesn't have any.

B) larger car. personal preference i guess.

c) newer car.

d) "safer car" with airbags.

I also was looking at a s14a, but points b and d made me go the 33. The s14 was too cramped for my liking, and only the top of the range models had dual airbags.

I couldn't decide so i bought both ;) Each have their good and bad points.

180sx drifts and slides so much easier, 180sx is easier to modify, 180sx had more problems. Sr20DET is a damn rattly bucket of bolts, and will vibrate you engine mounts to bits and nearly every bolt on your turbo. 180sx is more fun to drive, but also caused me to lose more points ... :O

On and RB25 you can run a bigger turbo and still have the car driveable, fit a 3037 to an R33 and their a quick car with fair good response and a much smoother engine, fit a 3037 to an SR20 and you've got a lag monster, for street car anyway. All depends what you want from a car. If you want drift get a 180sx. If you want a bigger car with the potential for more HP get an R33. If your budget is 20 grand why not look at an R32 GTR, just not one in the country their way over priced :)

Edited by ookami

hey i was thinking about the R32 GTR but decided to get a 180sx or 33 first as its my first import and i wont to get some real wheel drive:P and yes i will go the 180SX as i do want to drift thanx for the replies guys:)

My brother bought a 180SX last week, its the later model 96 and the only upgrade I can see is upped boost and an aftermarket turbo, exhaust and filter. I dont think even he knows whats been done to it, he paid 15k for it and its a sweet car indeed.

Its hard to admit but I think it goes faster than my car, but mine's pretty stock.

Driving it hard I felt genuinely in fear for my life, it goes ballistic at full boost whereas in my car I felt alot more in control if i floored it. That and the 180 had a tendency to steer to the left but thats a small wheel alignment problem I mentioned to him.

Overall though I much prefer driving my skyline, it just feels more right and safer at speed.

Also I thought skyline interiors were boring, the 180 is actually worse, the centre console in the 180 is much too high so my elbow knocks it when changing gears. It has a nice carbon fibre dash though, not sure if its real or not, but the Skyline interior is much nicer and roomier.

Agree too about the build quality theres no comparison, the Skyline seems to be built with alot more care.

Still, I think the 180 is a fantastic car

After owning a 180sx, and their being an r33 in my driveway personally i chose something between... find a good condition r32. You get the luxury and sound of the inline 6 skyline but a mix between lightweight and cruisy ;) The 32 is my favourite as it still feels nippy like the 180 yet larger with more presence on the road. My 32 with coil-overs out does my mates 180 (only lowered obviously) while a 33 might have some more trouble... All cars straight line speeds are very similar!

Check the insides of a 180 in comparison and you'll never go back to one i say

it really depends what you are going to use it for, its harder to throw a skyline around a corner but skylines have better handling and i also found in my r34 i dont have the urge to run the car hard but with the 180 i always had the urge