SAU Community

The New Mx5

Just had a ride in my friend's new MX5..........damn the car feels powerful with good power to weight ratio........

Now I feel my skyline doesn't have enuf power (which it doesn't)........so unsatified with my current power............im gonna be in a slump for a while

Engine type 2.0 litre in-line 4 cylinder 16 valve DOHC S-VT

Engine capacity cc 1,998

Bore and stroke mm 87.5 x 83.1

Compression ratio 10.8 : 1

Maximum power kW 118 @ 6,700rpm

Maximum torque Nm 188 @ 5,000rpm

Throttle control Electronic (drive-by-wire)

Fuel system Electronic fuel injection

Fuel tank capacity litres 50

Fuel consumption man (combined) 1 l/100km 8.5

auto (combined) 2 l/100km 8.8

Recommended fuel Premium unleaded (min. 95 RON )

Yeah the MX-5's are a great drivers car. Its a shame they can be underrated as a performance car as you'd only rarely see a nicely modded up one as you would pretty much see them in the hands of some toorak or south yarra dude who only bought it because it was a convertible and has kept it stock standard for the past 10 years being blind to further modding.

Comparing it to my R32 GTSt I've driven both the NA and NB series MX-5's they are piss weak but they feel alot more chuckable around corners even though they are relatively underpowered. they'd be a really good slightly most costly alternative to an AE86 if you looking for a light NA rear-wheel drive car.

they aren't as fast in a straight line (but then again I'm not into drags at the traffic lights, no skill in that.) but they are awesome on the twistys. :)

they'd be a good drift weapon if given a good balanced setup.

not sure about the specs, but apparents she had the limited edition of the MX5, bilstein suspension...... I think its about 160 hp and 1100kg......AND

7 thats right 7 CUP HOLDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I could seriously use one in my car.

Anyone see the ad in drive for the new mazda 6?? 190kw and 380nm torque at 3000rpm wwttff thats nuts how can they get that amount of torque at such low revs?

Modern turbo cars are getting better and better at producing massive torque at low RPM. The old school of turbos were laggy and needed revs revs revs to make power, while the NAs made the low RPM torque. Now the opposite is true, with high powered NAs needing RPM to make big numbers, and turbo cars making huge torque at very low RPM.

Some of the more rediculous torque figures are from small modern turbo engines:

Holden Astra Turbo: 250Nm @ 1950RPM from 2.0 litre 4 cyl

Volkswagen Golf GTi: 280Nm @ 1800RPM from 2.0 litre 4 cyl

Saab 9-5 Aero: 350Nm @ 1900RPM from 2.3 litre 4cyl

And just to make them all feel weak:

Bentley Continental GT: 650Nm at 1600rpm

Mercedes SL65 AMG: 1000Nm at 2000-4000rpm from 6 litre V12

Bugatti Veyron: 1250Nm at 2200-5500rpm from 8 litre W16

The 4 banger creates max power at 5500 so it probably redlines about 6, so max torque would be around that area.

Power is dependent on both revs AND torque, so peak power does not necessarily appear near peak torque.

why oh why doesn't Mazda put a rotary in one damnit!

This was for sale a few months back:

13B Rotary MX-5

Alternatively check out the Bullet Roadster. Basically an MX-5 with a 13B, 20B,Lexus V8 or supercharged V8. Bit more expensive than the standard MX-5 though! Mazda will never make a rotary MX-5 because it will eat into RX-8 sales, and perhaps the rumoured upcoming RX-7.

I have a reasonably modified 1989 NA6CE MX-5 (imported Eunos Roadster actually), as well as a newly complied and registered R32 GTR with HKS GT2530's and supporting mods.

The MX-5 is much fun it's criminal. Different sort of fun tho - and I'd actually take the MX-5 for hills driving.

The GTR is just insanely powerful and efficient, but the MX-5 is supremely fun to drive. I think my next car will be the new MX-5, modified of course :O