SAU Community

Another Rim/tyre Question...

Heya,

I don't actually have a Skyline so that's why my rim widths are a bit smaller... but currently I'm after a new set of tyres (probably K104s) and was just wondering, what differences does profile and width make in terms of handling and response?

From what I gather, the lower the profile, the smaller the sidewall... so less flex, likewise for tyre width, as small as possible?

The rims originally came with 215/45/17 on front and 235/45/17 on the rear... I really don't care about road noise/comfort etc, just pure handling orientated...!

Any help/input is greatly appreciated... thanks!

PS: I've done a search but you guys seem to run wider rims then I do so the recommendations weren't much help :)

Heya,

I don't actually have a Skyline so that's why my rim widths are a bit smaller... but currently I'm after a new set of tyres (probably K104s) and was just wondering, what differences does profile and width make in terms of handling and response?

From what I gather, the lower the profile, the smaller the sidewall... so less flex, likewise for tyre width, as small as possible?

The rims originally came with 215/45/17 on front and 235/45/17 on the rear... I really don't care about road noise/comfort etc, just pure handling orientated...!

Any help/input is greatly appreciated... thanks!

PS: I've done a search but you guys seem to run wider rims then I do so the recommendations weren't much help :)

yes the lower the profile the less flex which helps when cornering. as for tyre width it depends on how much power your car is running, generally, the wider the tyres are the better grip you gonna get both in acceleration and braking. however if you are still running factory power then sometimes wider tyres and/or rims will actually degrade your performance.

Edited by GT Skyliner

Lower profile wheels will reduce sidewall flex, which helps to improve turn-in and feel. It won't necessarily improve traction, as the lack of deformity means you also don't get an increase in contact patch size as you load the tyre up. Because of that, it may actually decrease grip, although you'll really only notice it at the limit.

The lack of compliance will also affect your car's handling negatively on less-than-perfect surfaces, as well as increasing the risk of damaging a rim.

As Duncan pointed out to me when I had brain fade on another forum, wider rubber doesn't necessarily mean more grip. For the same car (same weight etc) and the tyres at the same pressure, the contact patch is the same size regardless of how wide your tyres are.

What does change is your track, which can improve handling. I believe that wider rubber is also more susceptible to tramlining.

The optimal width depends on a variety of factors. Wider rubber is great in high grip conditions, but you want narrower tyres in low grip. Having wide rubber tends to increase the possibility of aquaplaning.