SAU Community

Buy, Build & Use A Tech Edge A/f Ratio Meter

Sydneykid

Hey Sydneykid,

thanks for the reply.

Problem is up here, Toluene is More Expensive than Avgas! I think down there Toluene is real cheap?

so it's cheaper for me to Mix Avgas & 91, which i do quite regularly, usually the last tank of Avgas out of the drum i mix to make it last longer.

toluene is very hard to get as well, the only place i can find it is from a paint manufacturer. i can't even get Methanol, so i use Metholated Spirits in my water injection, Metho is 96% Ethanol.

so i really need to get my engine set up to run on 91, with the water injection.

i have an Apexi FC & Hand Controller with the Apexi Integral boost controller & Sard 700cc injectors, but i haven't fitted them yet. i was going to do that after out last data logging session, but i blew 3rd gear, so that has put me back a bit. currently running a GReaddy Profec B Spec II controller.

here's my mods so you can get an idea;

S/S Extractors

Twin Garrett GT2860R (707160-10)0.6/0.64A/R (450hp models)

HKS Actuators

HKS Dump Pipes

HKS Front Pipe

Cat removed & 3” full back

Splitfire coils

NGK HITOP Iridium Plugs

APEXI FC & Hand Controller (not yet installed)

600x300x125 FMIC (cut the front out to match the IC/8” Ducted air tubes to POD filters)

APEXI POD intake

Modded Intake Plenum

NISMO FUEL PUMP

Nismo Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

SARD 720cc injectors (not yet installed)

Water/Methanol Injection

Wide band A/F meter

HKS Twin Plate Clutch

PAR Racing Products Gear Set, straight cut 1st, 2nd & 3rd Helical 4th & 5th, Beefed up Synchro shift.

Greaddy Prfec B Spec II Boost controller

Apexi RSM Speed Limiter cut & G Sensor

APEXI Coil Over/Adjustable Dampening on all 4 corners

Nismo adjustable suspension/camber

Reply to your random thaughts

1)A/F a bit rich, what tuning - none at the moment, when i install the AFC will start tuning the fuel side. because no Dyno or diagnostic equip in PNG this is why i need to get the LM1 working properly so i'm not flying blind?

2)ECU? std at the moment but AFC to install

3)A/F cruise normally 15:1. what is the Aim Table??

4) closed loop?? what is closed loop

sory i don't follow some of your terminology, i am still learning. (Having fun though)

what do you think of the water/methanol injection?

it seems to work well, i have a digital air temp sender in the last IC bend before the Intake Plenum & can with the water injection i get down to 88Deg Farenheight (32deg C) with an ambient temp of 26 at night.

we get real excited when we get 26 deg ambient temps!! Oh, what i'd give to have a 15deg winders night, it must feel awesome!!

anyway, stuck with what i got & where i am for now!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sydneykid,

thanks for the reply.

Problem is up here, Toluene is More Expensive than Avgas! I think down there Toluene is real cheap?

so it's cheaper for me to Mix Avgas & 91, which i do quite regularly, usually the last tank of Avgas out of the drum i mix to make it last longer.

toluene is very hard to get as well, the only place i can find it is from a paint manufacturer. i can't even get Methanol, so i use Metholated Spirits in my water injection, Metho is 96% Ethanol.

so i really need to get my engine set up to run on 91, with the water injection.

i have an Apexi FC & Hand Controller with the Apexi Integral boost controller & Sard 700cc injectors, but i haven't fitted them yet. i was going to do that after out last data logging session, but i blew 3rd gear, so that has put me back a bit. currently running a GReaddy Profec B Spec II controller.

here's my mods so you can get an idea;

S/S Extractors

Twin Garrett GT2860R (707160-10)0.6/0.64A/R (450hp models)

HKS Actuators

HKS Dump Pipes

HKS Front Pipe

Cat removed & 3” full back

Splitfire coils

NGK HITOP Iridium Plugs

APEXI FC & Hand Controller (not yet installed)

600x300x125 FMIC (cut the front out to match the IC/8” Ducted air tubes to POD filters)

APEXI POD intake

Modded Intake Plenum

NISMO FUEL PUMP

Nismo Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

SARD 720cc injectors (not yet installed)

Water/Methanol Injection

Wide band A/F meter

HKS Twin Plate Clutch

PAR Racing Products Gear Set, straight cut 1st, 2nd & 3rd Helical 4th & 5th, Beefed up Synchro shift.

Greaddy Prfec B Spec II Boost controller

Apexi RSM Speed Limiter cut & G Sensor

APEXI Coil Over/Adjustable Dampening on all 4 corners

Nismo adjustable suspension/camber

Reply to your random thaughts

1)A/F a bit rich, what tuning - none at the moment, when i install the AFC will start tuning the fuel side. because no Dyno or diagnostic equip in PNG this is why i need to get the LM1 working properly so i'm not flying blind?

2)ECU? std at the moment but AFC to install

3)A/F cruise normally 15:1. what is the Aim Table??

4) closed loop?? what is closed loop

sory i don't follow some of your terminology, i am still learning. (Having fun though)

what do you think of the water/methanol injection?

it seems to work well, i have a digital air temp sender in the last IC bend before the Intake Plenum & can with the water injection i get down to 88Deg Farenheight (32deg C) with an ambient temp of 26 at night.

we get real excited when we get 26 deg ambient temps!! Oh, what i'd give to have a 15deg winders night, it must feel awesome!!

anyway, stuck with what i got & where i am for now!

I would actually go for the Power FC since you need to adjust the ignition timing for the lower ron fuel. The SAFC will cause you no end of grief as it will advance the ignition timing when you are reducing the AFM voltage (that the ECU sees) to lean out the A/F ratios.

The Aim table is the lambda (A/F ratio) that the ECU targets when running closed loop. On a Power FC it is programmable.

Closed loop running is when the ECU uses the standard (slow and narrow) lambda sensor to tell it what fuel to inject to achieve the targeted (via the aim table) lambda (A/F ratio). This is for fuel economy and emissions at idle and cruise, when things happen slowly and predictably.

Yep, toluene costs more than avgas, but at 122 ron you don’t have to use as much to lift the total tank ron to 98. It used to cost us an extra $12.00 a tank to go from 92 ron to 100 ron, so not a big deal really.

:P cheers :D

Edited by Sydneykid

can i just say that is awesome that you have a GTR in PNG. where abouts there are you? A family member of mine does a lot of work in PNG (about 10 trips a year mostly to Port Moresby). It must be a pretty uncommon sight!

I would actually go for the Power FC since you need to adjust the ignition timing for the lower ron fuel. The SAFC will cause you no end of grief as it will advance the ignition timing when you are reducing the AFM voltage (that the ECU sees) to lean out the A/F ratios.

The Aim table is the lambda (A/F ratio) that the ECU targets when running closed loop. On a Power FC it is programmable.

Closed loop running is when the ECU uses the standard (slow and narrow) lambda sensor to tell it what fuel to inject to achieve the targeted (via the aim table) lambda (A/F ratio). This is for fuel economy and emissions at idle and cruise, when things happen slowly and predictably.

Yep, toluene costs more than avgas, but at 122 ron you don’t have to use as much to lift the total tank ron to 98. It used to cost us an extra $12.00 a tank to go from 92 ron to 100 ron, so not a big deal really.

:P cheers :D

OK, now i understand the closed loop running uses the Narrow Band stoc O2 sensors to monitor AFR?

so how do you use Open loop? which i assume is utilizing a wide band O2 Sensor, same as is used for my LM1 ARF Meter??

woops i probably used the wrong abreviations, i don't have a SAFC i have an Apexi Power FC ECU & the hand controller. been working on the gear box today, so hope to be up & running, doing more testing this week end. if all goes well might put the FC ECU in & then test some more, then drop the 700cc injectors in.

i wound it up to 1.3bar & did one 1/4 mile run on the Apexi RSM meter, i bogged outa the hole(still getting used to the solid centre twin HKS), then came back wheel spinning & still managed a 12.48 by the Apexi at 180kph, but i also had the laptop hooked up via Datascan sofwear, & the injectors maxed out at 107%, not good!

so looking forward to getting the FC ECU & Hand Controller in so i can adjust. i'll post up the tables when i do some changes & see how it looks?