SAU Community

Hks 2.8l Stroker Kit (in Rb26)

SLY33

exactly it depends on where you get it from as to what you actually get in the "kit".

for those of you building or running 2.7/2.8 strokers, what compression ratio are you using? Id have thought in the above examples, the higher the better, ie 8.7:1, that would really maximise the response and get the turbos going early.

according to the HKS website the step 2 kit is just crank, pistons and rings and is 498 000 yen retail

wow 498k yen. I paid 507k for my whole gtr.

I hope you are buying this with the intention of building a very seriously high horsepower car. Each to their own but I reckon you are raving mad.

a stock rebuild is going to cost more than your GTR.

With a bit of chasing if the kit can be bought at a good price then i think its worth it. Im only building a street car and looking for around 600+ so nothing huge, but apart from the extra benefits of the stroker kit, i want to do it because its different to the guy down the road with the rebuilt 26 or the other 50 guys down the road who are building or planning to build 3litres.

wow 498k yen.  I paid 507k for my whole gtr.

I hope you are buying this with the intention of building a very seriously high horsepower car.  Each to their own but I reckon you are raving mad.

i reckon if ya want it get it :D its a hobby for some, and some are more involved in modifying than others, each to their own :)

ya only live once :(

also SLY33 mines going to run 8.5:1 comp ratio

cheers

Brad

Edited by StageZilla

Personally I couldn't near justify the cost of going with a stroker. You will find you get to a level of horsepower (especially with a street car) in which you've lost alot of the liveable aspects of the car - and many standard parts will fail under the extra stress.

Can still make solid horsepower on the standard crank, enough to get to that level.

My theory at least :(

ok, so far determined that these kits are great, but just as expensive.

TURBO SELECTION FOR A 2.8Litre!!

my ideas are; GTSS, too small, run out of puff early and probably boost too early?? GTRS not sure, could they be just about right with a 2.8?

Ahh the good ol 2530's (which i have now). While rated the same 320ps as GTSS's, arent the 2530's in between the GTSS and GTRS's somewhere??

380rwkw would be great. stick with 2530's?? its a street car primarily, with odd track days. So response and useable torque are important.

any thoughts appreciated, cheers guys

Edited by SLY33

i think japan would get the rb30 blocks if they were soo crash hot and brilliant, but obviously they know they aint very good at high power and thats the reason they have these $20k kits instead which are built for the power from scratch, not from a vl 6 banger family hack engine, which is along way from a rb26 in any stretch of the imagination as being a performance built engine.

compare apples with apples  :P

Just to clairfy...not saying they are better then Jap stroker kits, or you shouldnt bother with Jap kits...just clarifying that if the RB30 was such a bad thing then did the Sammut brothers manage...

Peter Sammut Nissan 300ZX ET 7.988secs @ 171.49MPH

300zx_sammutb.jpg

SLY33, is this all going in the rwd R33? Be interesting to see how the RWD chassis copes with the power

hi roy,

no way this is for the GTSt, it has enought trouble getting the power down as it is! Its for the GTR. I was just going to build a nice responsive streeter but i might end up slapping some GTRS's on it and 700ps+.

Is anyone running GTRS's on a rb26 on here? please point me in the right direction if they are, as a search hasnt given me any results. Plenty of GTSS info although these will be too small on a 2.8..

The dyno graph below was a "soft tune"at 18psi (only 1000km after run in) on a std RB26 capacity (actually 86.5mm bores) with GT-RS terbs on seperate HKS manifolds. Cams were HKS STEP2 264IN, 272EX. No real optimising of cam timing was done, so it may have been possible to bring on boost a little earlier.

As Duncan suggested, these are "laggier" than most low mount alternatives, but they really have a great top end that in my case was only limited by the engine revs at that particular boost. Note that these are also prone to compressor surge or "shuffle" during boost build up (note the pressure fluctuations early in the curve) . I have since gone to a bridged manifold in order to help reduce this.

In addition to the a 2.8L crank, I'm also putting in higher ratio diff centres (4.375) in order to give me a chance to use 3rd gear around town :)

705hp_vs_psi_small_.JPG

thanks for that gav! im slowly getting some good info together.

Would smaller cams like some poncams change the spool up by much??

So on a 2.6L with GTRS's your basically waiting for 5grand before you start to get really moving! Power does hold nicely right up to 8grand tho. Who's graph is that? ~360rwkw at only ~1.25bar not bad! HKS show these things running at 1.8bar, that would be nuts.

The compressor surge you mentioned, isnt that to do with the turbo trying to pump more than the engine can swallow? could be alleviated with a 2.8?

Edited by SLY33

I have been in a R33 GTR with a veilside 2.8L stroker and twin td06's, and let me say the car was absolutley awesome. It was delivered from Japan as is and was an ex veilside promo car, I am sure as few of the older die hard skyliners in Sydney will know the guy and car I am refering to. With tdo6's and around 460rwkw the car came on strong and was alot more responsive off boost than expected, ie the extra 200cc made it such a different beast to say my gtr at the time with a rb26 and t51!!!

Just a quick side quip, I can send all the specs to a rb30 crank to a very highly reputable parts manufacturer in America, they can produce for me a one off full forged billit crank for $7200USD in steel and $11,500USD in titanium!!!Now if I was ever going to do a 2.8L Jap kit I would first slap myself and say dont be stupid the Japanese kits are overpiced then I would send my crank over get it made then make a 28mm spacer for the top off my rb26 and have myself a 3L rb26. But then I would realised thats to much money and effort and build a aussie rb30 which have the same main girdle design (which people is the weak point of all the nissan straight 6 designs) and make the same power and save myself 10g! But I am not comparing APPLES AND APPLES so sorry!!!

At the end of the day SLY33 was after experience with the kits and from experience they are an awesome bit of gear, there only downfall I believe is expense, but its your money and you spend however you like my friend.

Cheers.

I little birdy told me that PRO ENGINES might be developing a 2.8 stroker kit with full counter weight crank.

He is on this forum and goes by the username proengines. If anyone knows him, you'll know he knows his stuff.

From what I know it's still under development and if there is enough interest he'll do it. I'm pretty sure he also said that he would be making the re-sleve kit as well to give strength to the whole engine.

I know if he does it that it would be awsome. I know I want one!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by WetGTR

Can someone explain to me why they use rb26dett even in japan and not use stroker kits,, but moreso only use stroker kits for the "enjoyed" feeling of torque.. but on race track doesnt do anything.

take a look at HKS,VEILSIDE,MINES etc.. they all use standard bore & stroke as they say it is better for race purpose :rolleyes:

• Like 1

i watched a movie where they were testing a so called 'ultimate' tune car with a white mines tuned R34 GTR

where michizo Niikura from mines said they used a stage 2 mines complet engine kit coupled with HKS GT2530

however they had left the bore stock as it gives better response...

but i'm guessing this can still mean the stroke was lengthened??

anyway they had two famous jap drivers orido and tsuchiya testing the car and they couldn't get over how quick it was

Fitzpatrick Speed Works: when you say the car was awesome, do you recall the rpm's when the thing came alive?

Driftspec32, i recently watched that english GTR documentory where they get that 'ring meister guy to drive some cars, and at the end hes saying that the race r34 uses the 2.8 capacity and enjoys great benefit.

R31Nismoid, the car is for street, with occasional drag and circuit, but very occasional.

So far im yet to see solid results of 2.8L with GTRS, so if i dont hear anything good, i will play it safe and use the GT2530's. Sydneykid reckons theres 400+awkw to be had, which sounds awesome, and end of the day id rather have a more useable 400 than a less usable and possibly frustrating 460 or whatever! Even tho they are old now, the 2530's are still very highly regarded, almost seems like i cant go wrong with them!

Edited by SLY33

id say something smaller than GT-RS then if your going to mainly street it, you can have a nice setup indeed.

You can get 2530's... well proven, but up over 400 you aint on the street juice :)

Have you thought about a single?