SAU Community

Hks 2.8l Stroker Kit (in Rb26)

SLY33

id love to put a new to4z on it, but im in adelaide! The defect capital. Stealthy low mounts are a must, and even then they can still catch you out if they want to.

yeah all signs pointing to 2530's.. SK tells me he's seen 400awkw from a stock capacity 2.6l on pump i believe. Even so, would you say 380plus at the wheels will be a gimme on a 2.8?? :)

yeah car was reaching just under 2 bar by 5 and reved out to 9.5k, was very impressive!!!! considering sotock turbos reach full boost just under a 4k and from what I have heard tdo6's on a rb26 dont see full boost to near on 6 I would be confident in saying the extra 200cc was doing a hell of alot to make it a better driving car!!!

I have been in a R33 GTR with a veilside 2.8L stroker and twin td06's, and let me say the car was absolutley awesome. It was delivered from Japan as is and was an ex veilside promo car, I am sure as few of the older die hard skyliners in Sydney will know the guy and car I am refering to. With tdo6's and around 460rwkw the car came on strong and was alot more responsive off boost than expected, ie the extra 200cc made it such a different beast to say my gtr at the time with a rb26 and t51!!!

Just a quick side quip, I can send all the specs to a rb30 crank  to a very highly reputable parts manufacturer in America, they can produce for me a one off full forged billit crank for $7200USD in steel and $11,500USD in titanium!!!Now if I was ever going to do a 2.8L Jap kit I would first slap myself and say dont be stupid the Japanese kits are overpiced then I would send my crank over get it made then make a 28mm spacer for the top off my rb26 and have myself a 3L rb26. But then I would realised thats to much money and effort and build a aussie rb30 which have the same main girdle design (which people is the weak point of all the nissan straight 6 designs) and make the same power and save myself 10g! But I am not comparing APPLES AND APPLES so sorry!!!

At the end of the day SLY33 was after experience with the kits and from experience they are an awesome bit of gear, there only downfall I believe is expense, but its your money and you spend however you like my friend.

Cheers.

i understood that veilside never did a stoker motor ,i can even recall an inview with the man himself and he was asked why they never did stoker he liked a high reving motor more and didnt want to change the characteristics of the rb26, in there cars. Have a look at hpi dvd 5 for the interview

personally i think sly33 your on the right track a 2.8litre low mount twin combo will give you the ulimate street /track combo for a gtr any of the

turbos

GT2560R 707160-5

HKS 2530

trust 517Z (i think form memory)

are all very similar and very good turbos for the rb26 the 2.8 WILL give yoiu more torque and better responce ,NISMO did not race there's as a 2.8 for nothing for how many years and i believe HKS and TOMIE to be the best of the after market brand and they both do 2.8litre. i believe the japanise didn't go much bigger on purpose as the rb26 was built to rev.

I also seem to remember some of the most impressive street gtr's ever built were of this same comfiguration ,the black r34 gtr in the UK gtr video etc , look the ulimate gtr the Z TUNE is what ? 2.8 litre twin low mount why? because its the best combo for the gtr nismo ever came up with. Dont you think if there was a better for street track they might know about it after what 16years racing/tuning.

SLY33 your on the right track to and awesome weapon listen to the companies that know NISMO/HKS/TOMEI ETC.

as for the HKS GTRS turbos they are a little of an unknown or should i say unproven set up in the way that the small top end gains dont seem to out way the bottom end losses , over say the hks250/gt2560r etc BUT it might just be that none has just found the right combo for them yet .I actually hope Gav has sum luck with his 2.8 hks gtrs combo.

drop me a line if you would like to have a chat as there has been a few interesting thing i have picked up in the last few months in relation to this setup

pete

(my 2c)

Why is noone ever tries the Tomei bolt up turbos. I know they are based on Garrets, are they over priced pieces of poo, too expensive for ppl to try, not as good as 2530s????? Just like the Apexi AX530P22 xyz thingiemibobs. They simply dont stack up the performance of the 2530s??????

thanks pnblight, i have talked to a couple of workshops today, and consensus fairly consistent, the t517z's in the 8cm2, will be too small on a 2.8. They make 380rwkw on a 2.6 but im told that is really pushing it, and intake temps get very high. So im told on a 2.8 they will spin right out of efficiency earlier than on a 2.6, and start pumping hot air. The 10cm2 may be a good option, however, no one has tried these so they are an unknown, and im not really in a position to bite the bullet and buy something no one has solid results with. Im after tried and tested here!

From what i know of the 2530, it is no good in single form on a 2.5 at the top end, but is good on a 2litre. so at 1.4litres per turbo on my setup "shouldnt" be a problem. It has been suggested to me that even the 2.8 may spin the 2530's out of efficiency also.. But i would hope for a bare minimum of 350rwkw without pushing it too hard, plus the benefits of the 2.8 in off boost drivability and early spool up. Im still sussing possible options.

well i believe jagr33(i think is the sau name) has made 531rwhp/398rwkw with the trust turbos

i think what you need to ask yourself is where does your true priority rest responce your out right hp as if your not happy with 400rwhp you will battle to maintain a good responsive drive package. Out right hp doesn't make the fastest street car it's drivable traction and torque curve that makes a car truely fast in more than a straight line.

what is your goals

Why is noone ever tries the Tomei bolt up turbos. I know they are based on Garrets, are they over priced pieces of poo, too expensive for ppl to try, not as good as 2530s?????  Just like the Apexi AX530P22 xyz thingiemibobs. They simply dont stack up the performance of the 2530s??????

if the rest of the tomei gear is anything to go by i would thick they would be great turbos but i think is just there are so many other cheap turbo combos out there. I would love to try a set but the budget doesnt stretch that far.

pete

Why is noone ever tries the Tomei bolt up turbos. I know they are based on Garrets, are they over priced pieces of poo, too expensive for ppl to try, not as good as 2530s?????  Just like the Apexi AX530P22 xyz thingiemibobs. They simply dont stack up the performance of the 2530s??????

They are actually based on IHI units. I also have a feeling that the Z-tune uses one of these 'Tomei' turbines.

Tomei and NISMO have so much gear in common now. The Z tune crank is the Tomei crank, FPRs, fuel pumps, and a few other things.

well i believe jagr33(i think is the sau name) has made 531rwhp/398rwkw with the trust turbos

And since has gotten rid of the T517z's as he wasnt very impressed with thier power delivery and response compared to his new ones (garrett 2560) :D

little less power but more response.

I know thats what i'd want too, much better streeter

PNBLIGHT

Thanks for that I didnt actual know that Veilside didnt make strokers, do they make any forged cranks oruse others, the car must of had another brand maybe HKS?? It was certain that the car was an ex Veilside promo, it had a hideous one off kit with big veilside stickers down the sides and veilside badges and a number placard with veilside on it etc. Not bagging the 2,8 kits at all I think they are beautifully made just the problem as with most japanese stuff due to their economic situation, it's too expensive for the average joe!!!

PNBLIGHT

Thanks for that I didnt actual know that Veilside didnt make strokers, do they make any forged cranks oruse others, the car must of had another brand maybe HKS?? It was certain that the car was an ex Veilside promo, it had a hideous one off kit with big veilside stickers down the sides and veilside badges and a number placard with veilside on it etc. Not bagging the 2,8 kits at all I think they are beautifully made just the problem as with most japanese stuff due to their economic situation, it's too expensive for the average joe!!!

honestly i dont know but they must get there gear made somewhere as there std stoke motors make 1400hp plus at something like 12500rpm with twin 3542 veilside turbos which are based off a hks 3240

and anything that is actually veilside (not copy) is of the highest quality and kits are awesomely built but not all in my tasty(there are some nice kits tho).

ps is everyone else noticing that the gtrs turbos seem to be very high rpm to get going and only achieve small gains over the gt2560r/hks2530.

I didnt realise that jagr33 had changed to gt2560r. I might have to send him a line to see what he thinks of them compared to the trust units.

pete

ps is everyone else noticing that the gtrs turbos seem to be very high rpm to get going and only achieve small gains over the gt2560r/hks2530.

I didnt realise that jagr33 had changed to gt2560r. I might have to send him a line to see what he thinks of them compared to the trust units.

pete

how much more lag are we talking. Are the exhurst temps better on the GTRS turbos compaired to the 2530/2560r. would also like to see both of jagr33 dyno runs side by side i was lookn at the t51z.

Edited by blk180

They are actually based on IHI units. I also have a feeling that the Z-tune uses one of these 'Tomei' turbines.

Tomei and NISMO have so much gear in common now. The Z tune crank is the Tomei crank, FPRs, fuel pumps, and a few other things.

Are you sure they are IHI? Teh source for my info wasnt the greatest, so if you say so.

You are right about the Z tune though. Does anyone else find it interesting that when Nismo went about building the Z Tune they followed the Europeans by using an IHI based turbo. Mush like all the Euro manufacturers who typically use IHI or KKK ???

Could it be a killer twin setup is still out there, we need to just look to what the Euros or yanks are doign rather then the Japanese?

Are you sure they are IHI? Teh source for my info wasnt the greatest, so if you say so.

You are right about the Z tune though. Does anyone else find it interesting that when Nismo went about building the Z Tune they followed the Europeans by using an IHI based turbo. Mush like all the Euro manufacturers who typically use IHI or KKK ???

Could it be a killer twin setup is still out there, we need to just look to what the Euros or yanks are doign rather then the Japanese?

I'm 99% sure they are IHI.

IHI turbos are Japanese though. IHI stands for Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries.

Pete...what sort of RPM were you seeing max torque with the 2560Rs? In all honesty, once my car was sorted, I found the GTRS's to be quite good on the stock engine. I was seeing peak torque at a touch under 5000RPM.

In a few weeks, I will be able to tell you what they are like on a fresh engine.

A dyno graph from a post last year. This was on an R34 GTR with GT-RS terbs at a high 30 psi of boost. Standard displacement RB26 but with high lift cams (greater than 11mm) and long duration (272 or more) from memory.

GT-RS_terbs_r34_gtr_30psi_.jpg

I'm 99% sure they are IHI.

IHI turbos are Japanese though. IHI stands for Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries.

Yeh they may be Japanese (again if you say so) but the IHI and KKK turbos are far more prevelant in European sports cars and motorsport. Asia seems to be the domain of Garretts...just an observation. For that matter US seems to be the domain of aftermarket companies basing their turbos on the Garretts, ie Innovative, Turbonetics etc