SAU Community

Import Approval For Motorsport

Hi,

Just wanted to know if any of you guys have experience with, or knowledge of importing a car that is not eligible under SEVS but for race/rally use only. I understand the a current CAMS license is required - but what type? is a L2S license enough?

And will DOTARS let these cars be brought in just for weekend warrior track day type use or is it only for serious competition in a recognised racing class?

Any info on the legality of driving to & from race events would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

you will need a PC or NC or better licence. you best bet is to import the car as a rally car, then you will be able to gain some restricted rego. this will enable you to drive to and from the track providing you apply for a permit first.

I believe they also have a requirment that you have to have competed in a certain number of events in the preceding year.

Duncan on this forum may be able to give you more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus when you get import approval for a race import it will clearly say on the approval that its not eligible to be road registered ever. You can get a permit commonly called a rally permit in some states, which costs about $100 more than normal rego, that allows you to take the car to and from a workshop, or to events.

L2S isn't hard to get, just signing up to a club can get you that, you need a PC or NC minimum. That means log book maintenance, track time, physical tests etc. As said before, easiest thing to do is check the CAMS website.

Nigel, I dunno about Rally permit only being issed if the car is held by an R License owner. I got a rally permit for a car and all I had was an L2S. I think its something that's up to the discrepancy of the vehicle registrar in your state rather than commonwealth law.

Yer, but someone could buy a 'race' car on your behalf and when it gets here you can purchase that race car off that person and use it for racing yes? For instance if my uncle wanted a subaru race preped for racing he could get his mate to import it as he has the relevant licence. Nothing stoping people who are able to import cars for racing only then selling them to other people who want a race car?

its to f**king hot, so not sure if that makes sense.

I want to know why you need a CAMS licence at all? Seems to me the roundy roundy guys get all the laughs!

Why doesn't my ANDRA licence let me import a drag use only car?!?!?

DOTARS - "Stick it for your arse!!"

Adrian :angry:

because CAMS are the FIA body in Australia not ANDRA, and ANDRA have chosen not to work through the official body, they are like AAAA or any other club :D

You certainly can buy a car that was imported for race or rally use. In NSW if you want to register a rally car you must have L2S or higher.

A race car can never be registered. A rally car can get conditional rally rego in NSW

The only real problem with importing and selling race or rally only use car is that there are conditions you have to meet for the import, and there are a limit of 1 or 2 cars a year.

CAMS suck mighty huge balls - Everyone operates under an FIA mandate - shouldn't have to do shit to bring in a race use only car that will never see the road EVER.

I'm finding out how the big yank tanks that run SS/A come in. None of them have CAMS licences, I'm sure of it!