SAU Community

Ideas For Cheap Stealth Car

jmac

Hey guys, was talking to my mechanic the other day and he reckons it's a good idea to have a "sh*tter" to run around in, you can park it anywhere, the cops don't notice it, you don't worry if some prick keys it or shoves their shopping trolley (Daewoo!) into it, etc.

Got me thinking... anyone have any ideas for some amusing combinations? For some reason I thought of getting one of those old 80's Bluebirds and putting an SR20DET or RB25DET in it - could be an "interesting" combo. :)

Another conversion I've always thought was clever was a 90's grandpa Cressida with the Soarer turbo engine...

Just wondering if anyone else here has thought along the same lines?

Cheers!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's quite a few cressidas with turbo engines here on the central coast. They look pretty plain, just with 17's or 18's, then all of a sudden they've shot past you.

A mate of mine has a Sigma with an SR20DET. But with a loud exhaust, purple paint job and very wide simmons wheels, he still gets lots of attention.

Edited by shyster

That reminds me when I was at a mechanics with a mate we saw a piece of shit VL. it had crap paint, chips, dents and marks all over it and 14inch wheels with hub caps.

Turns out it had a RB20DET with bigger turbo, hidden front mount etc. Costs anywhere from $1k - $2.5k to buy the vl, and about $5k to get the rb half cut put in. Not a bad sleeper, and would be cheaper than putting an rb in an old carby bluebird.

i have a mate who has a old bluebird.. faded peeling paint with moss stains all over it.. dents.. rust..

and a 300KW SR20 in it! great sleeper.. apart from the stock brakes and suspension..

too bad its unregod and the end bearings are gone

all great ideas guys... hehe thanks!

the VL dunnydore idea is obviously one of the easier conversions to do but MAN are those things cop-bait cars. IMHO.... :D

I saw a fridge white 1980's Volvo station wagon (740 or 760 I think?)  running a 350 Chev for sale for $7500 a few months back.  Anything will fit into that engine bay!!!

In the old Volvo 240 / 740s, its possible to have a 5.0L FI or 5.7L NA engine approved for ADRs. The engine bay is massive, its a FR layout, there's room to put massive tyres front and rear, and nothing says sleeper like a twin turbo Holden 308 in the Swedish brick......

did some of those old mercs have an engine in them somewhere around the 7.0L mark anyway?? that would be so sweet.

*jmac imagines the weekly fuel bills... and turns white*