SAU Community

Modifying Rb20 Afm For Greater Flow

CEF11E

sorry to be like this but your wrong

15 years as an instrument tech

the afms meter works on air speed (cooling) so as long as you keep it near the centre of the pipe it will work fine. There nothing special about the z32 afm meter and if your running a pfc you can install a custom ramp graph for the afm meter and will not even need to adjust the maps(spark and fuel). Good to see someone willing to try some thing and not just be a sheep.

my 2c

So in your 15 years did you ever stop to think that maybe if you change the diameter of the MAF housing that you would change the air speed of the incoming air; hence changing the cooling affect.

It seems you have missed the point I was trying to make. If you increase or decrease the diameter of the MAF then you must readjust (usually within the MAF transfer table) the voltage to airflow charcteristics.

CEF11E has sombody who can tune it for him cheap, so I would say go for it, he's got nothing to lose. However I wouldn't suggest this modification to anybody who isn't in the position of buring up 5hours of dyno time to get it to the same level as a z32 MAF. Also the standard computer has a higher resolution MAF calibration table compared to the PFC which will make it more bearable than the PFC

sorry to be like this but your wrong

15 years as an instrument tech

the afms meter works on air speed (cooling) so as long as you keep it near the centre of the pipe it will work fine. There nothing special about the z32 afm meter and if your running a pfc you can install a custom ramp graph for the afm meter and will not even need to adjust the maps(spark and fuel). Good to see someone willing to try some thing and not just be a sheep.

my 2c

So in your 15 years did you ever stop to think that maybe if you change the diameter of the MAF housing that you would change the air speed of the incoming air; hence changing the cooling affect. 

It seems you have missed the point I was trying to make.  If you increase or decrease the diameter of the MAF then you must readjust (usually within the MAF transfer table) the voltage to airflow charcteristics.

CEF11E has sombody who can tune it for him cheap, so I would say go for it, he's got nothing to lose.  However I wouldn't suggest this modification to anybody who isn't in the position of buring up 5hours of dyno time to get it to the same level as a z32 MAF.  Also the standard computer has a higher resolution MAF calibration table compared to the PFC which will make it more bearable than the PFC

yes the range will change THATS THE WHOLE POINT of the exercise

but you stated that the idle and resulting functional characteristics would be of poor standard which not true at all, the afm meter will work fine and will take no longer to tune that fitting a z32afm plus you'll have a less resistive intake system.

if your tuner takes 5 hours to tune a different afm you need to find a different tuner who knows what there doing. Physics dont change , the air flow characteristics in a 80mm pipe will be the same as a 90mm just of a different range.

pete