SAU Community

Question: For All Car Owners

satanic

Was talking to someone the other day and was asked if I drive the car "hard" since I have quite a bit of power now... you know, dragging people on the street etc.

I said No and he was quite shocked; I went on to explain that I build my car as a hobby and cherish it too much to thrash the hell out of it or similar. I even went as far to saying that to enjoy the car, you don't need to be doing stuff like that?

Am I just stupid, or are there others that think this way... I mean, spending all this time and money on the car only to drag it up and down the street against a poobox, why?

What you guys think?

i can honestly say my car goes all right for what it is but that doesnt mean im going to drag every bogan that pulls up beside me at the lights.

like spooks skyline said just happy to cruise round in my line knowing i have the power there if i ever feel the need :)

Traffic light grand prix's are for idiots. They're a waste of time and they can be dangerous.

If some tool wants to brag that he bet me off the lights in his 'ful sik' ricebox, then good luck to him. I get more enjoyment out of pushing the limits of my car at WSID or a trackday.

Through my experience Ive found that if I dont "drag" in other words over take people at the lights then I usually get over taken myself by idiots or the car infront does 40 in a 60 zone for 10 Ks... that really pisses me off, so to avoid anger and frustration (im a bit of a quiet road rager) I just boot it off the lights and then stay ahead of the herd where ive no need to speed or overtake anyone. all this is done in a VS commy which has a bit of balls, i cant imagine how much more potential a turbo R34 or 200sx would give... so yes if youve got a quick car, why not fang off the lights to leave slow cougers and annoying wankers behind? mind you bike riders usually boot it off the lights so they have less chance of being hit by the surrounding cars etc.

Edited by Sir-D

I give the car a boot on quiet roads every once and a while, it's always fun to get some opposite lock happening :). But generally Im a fairly sedate and safe driver. Don't speed. Don't race. Don't do anything stupid really...

i drive pretty hard when i first got it i didn't now i am over it so i just enjoy it and the way it drives no longer scared of it

Don't drag anything unless its safe and there worth a run if i am going to get owned or own someone no point like when Na Silvia Try to race u or a Off it head 200sx i just looked at it and went f**k no he slide all over the road luck i didn't run him most likey wooda hit me

i dont race. too many people and/or cops. theres no point. 5 seconds of fun for 200bucks and 3 points? no dice.

funny story though, mate ex-house mate had had his V8 statesman for 3 days. it was wet, and his previous car was a toyota surf 4x4 (so no power there). he thought he'd give it some, and wrote it off knocking down a street light. he was lucky it was so late bcause its a busy street and if there has been anyone else on either side of the road they could have been severely injured.

moral is; dont race against people or youself. especially not in a super taxi :P

I haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years, so no i don't race people on the streets at all. never have and never will.

i do take my car to the track every other month.

It's just to expensive and dangerous to race on the streets.

When i was 18 a little girl ran infront of my car when i was doing 50k's... she didn't look where she was going, like all little kids. I was going less than the speed limit paying attention driving normally. I skidded and pulled onto the other side of the road almost into oncoming traffic and I missed her by less than 1 meter.

If i had been going 1KM faster, I would have to live the rest of my life knowing i had injured or worse killed a little child.

I saw the horror on her fathers face on the side of the road. I pulled over shaken and cried on the side of the road for 1/2 an hour... The father was in shock and told me that they had just been to hospital to see his wife having kemo treatment and his mind was somwhere else..

He said had it been someone driving a little faster she would have been dead.

I think of this every single time I get the urge to go fast on the roads...

Please take this seriously, Don't race on the roads...

my car costs enough money without thrashing it all over the country side and having to fix more stuff

i only boot it sporatically

quite happy to just cruise around most of the time

Yeah i agree 100%

only time i really stop on it is at the track.

Hard to get around without a licence :blink:

Cheers B

Truth be told most of you guys talk about being soo nice on the roads on the forums but are opposite when your behind the wheel. I know its not all of you but its fair to say most. Why buy a skyline for if your going to drive it like a grandpa? I dont speed, i just like to get the limit quicky, anyhting wrong with that? Even if someone wants to go me at the lights, ill give them a go, but i stop at the speed limit. I too have never gotten a speeding ticket yet *touch wood*

Yep i total agree i could have spent less but i like having good stuff

(do 1 do it right)

i dont speed in my r33 because it gos fast so i dont

you can so you dont you no if i wanted to fang it and do burn out i could ... easy but i dont

on the ather hand my tx3 gets thrashed because it is slow

2 speeding ticks in 2months in tx3 and none in 3years in the 33

Truth be told most of you guys talk about being soo nice on the roads on the forums but are opposite when your behind the wheel. I know its not all of you but its fair to say most. Why buy a skyline for if your going to drive it like a grandpa? I dont speed, i just like to get the limit quicky, anyhting wrong with that? Even if someone wants to go me at the lights, ill give them a go, but i stop at the speed limit. I too have never gotten a speeding ticket yet *touch wood*

word.

yep like everyone here, i give my car the occasional squirt, i'm happy to admit that.

but living in a reasonbly small town and working in jobs where i am constantly dealing with people who know me and my car, i really feel that i have to be responsible for the way i act when driving.

add to that the extra hassle police will feel obliged to give if i'm seen being a larikin on the streets, and also the fact i have nothing to prove (unlike every VN commy owner with burnout rims), means i do end up driving pretty conservatively.

as cef11e's story demonstrated, it can only take a split second for your life to turn to shite too.

Totally agree about the owing the best. Why would you want to spend all that money buying a nice car, the extra of doing it up and then potentially righting it off on the road to drag some tool. Or worse hurting someone. Its cool just to cruise man, enjoy your ride.

Anyone who was with me on the way back from the cruise on Sunday knows that I'd be lying if I said I babied my car.

But there's a time and a place for everything. In the middle of the street next to some unknown, and possibly idiotic, guy is not the time and place for me.

I'll give it a good squirt in the country where I'll only do damage to myself should I f**k up, but in the middle of the metropolitan area I don't feel the need to prove anything.