SAU Community

Some Gtr33 Questions And Importing

hey guys, is there any problems with importing gtr 33's over here? i know they need to be complied stock but what about the mods on them? im looking at one with suspension, exhaust, wheels, air filters, what happens when they get complied will i still get to keep them?

this one has 76000kms on it, do u think its been wound back?

is it ricky buying one importyed? any things to look out for? who should i get em from? the one i like is from j spec anything wrong with em?

also did r33 gtr's ever come with dual airbags?

thanks

hey guys, is there any problems with importing gtr 33's over here? i know they need to be complied stock but what about the mods on them? im looking at one with suspension, exhaust, wheels, air filters, what happens when they get complied will i still get to keep them?

is it ricky buying one importyed? any things to look out for? who should i get em from? the one i like is from j spec anything wrong with em?

thanks

Basic answers are...

Problems...no more than importing any other car

Mods...generally not a problem but need to be removed for compliance, you will get to keep them

KMs...without seeing the car, you won't be able to tell, but there are plenty getting around with that number of genuine kms.

Who to get them from...there are at least half a dozen people on here who will help you import a car, me being one of them. I haven't dealt directly with J-Spec so can't comment, but I know they are legit with their prices.

Dual airbags....yes they did.

There are thousands of R33 GTR's already here, in good condition and cheap as chips. You would be silly not to consider one you can test drive and look at before going ahead and importing one.

You wont save much money importing an R33 anymore.

thanks

I was under the impression you had to show receipts of any mods being destroyed?

76,000kms on the clock - seems a little low for a 9-10 year old car doesn't it? how many 1995 cars here do you see with 76,000kms on them? Not many, no different to overseas. Most jap imports are wound back, but if you want to belive your car is different, no one can stop you :P

Yep Series 2 and Series 3 GTRs came with Dual airbags(1996+)

thanks for the tips guys, well my max budget is 35k, the ones around here from dealers seem to be 40-50k mark, the ones within my budget are not so good, the ones from brokers seems to be better value for money, they are under the 35 k mark and are good examples.

am i looking for ones offered here at the wrong places? can anyone recomend me one?

Thats probably because the ones from japan say they are good but are probably 'not so good' as you put it but since you won't see it before you buy it will be to late :D

its all risk... are you a gambler? :P

im a gambler by blood, im from hong kong hahaha, but since ive grown up here, i havent got a gambling bone in my body.

i guess a car is something you shouldnt be gambling with, even more the case when i plan on keeping this car for 3-5 years.

can you guys reocmend me trustworth places to purchase from the floor?

Buy privately - there are always a few guys on the forums selling at any one time. You will also likely find a car that was owned by an enthusiast which was looked after the right way.

yeah im either gonna buy privatly or from a yard where i can drive and inspect the car.

what do you guys think about the shops on parra road? if theyre not dodgy i might just go and trade in with the wrx. any good shops to look ouyt for there?

I would buy privately, always going to get a better deal. Private sellers won't have the resources to rip you off/con you. Ie cover up faults with the car. And you can tell if someones enthusiastic about thier car and if they have cared for it usually. Most people on this forum fit that description.

Also make sure you can afford to fix something if it does go wrong. :D

I was under the impression you had to show receipts of any mods being destroyed?

76,000kms on the clock - seems a little low for a 9-10 year old car doesn't it? how many 1995 cars here do you see with 76,000kms on them? Not many, no different to overseas. Most jap imports are wound back, but if you want to belive your car is different, no one can stop you :)

Yep Series 2 and Series 3 GTRs came with Dual airbags(1996+)

The car must be stock for compliance, that's all I'm saying.

As for kms, it is plenty different here to overseas. There are still plenty of good low km cars getting around over there. But what would I know - I only used to actually work at the auctions in Japan...

Like anywhere, you get what you pay for - a $30K GT-R with 76,000km is probably going to be wound back, a $35K one probably isn't.

I'd be interested to know how many of these people offering advice have actually imported through brokers before, or whether they're basing their information on what they read in here, which usually only gives one side of the story...

I'd be interested to know how many of these people offering advice have actually imported through brokers before, or whether they're basing their information on what they read in here, which usually only gives one side of the story...

I imported my R34 GTR through a broker and am advising him from the experience I had as well as the general market in Australia at the moment. It's very difficult right now to sell an R33 GTR privately for a top price - its a buyers market as they say. Therefore buying an R33 GTR locally would be worth a look at least.

I think that statement is almost as naive as what your implying..

After seeing the quality of the car Sewid imported i'd be leaning towards listening to the advice he's offering rather than assuming..

Anyways..

My main reasoning behind getting a car that is in Australia is that you get a chance to see it, touch it, drive it and generally get a better overall image of the car that you could be purchasing..

I'd definately check around here before importing - you may even find a better condition car for the same price that someone is trying to get rid of..

Edited by Links

Links - why is that statement naive?? Are you suggesting sewid's car is really good or that he got ripped off??

Anyone can post on a forum - maybe I should start a thread on how many customers have ripped me off. I have one in particular who, a few years ago, stung me for over $10,000 because he refused to pay for the car, and because he had the import approval, refused to let the car be released off the wharf, meaning I had to ship it back to Japan. In the end, it's only one side of the story.

Of course he can find a car in Australia, but there are plenty of people who look at, and even drive cars here, that end up getting ripped off too. Buying locally is a preferred option, but it's not the only one. If he can't find what he's after, there's no reason not to import one if he uses a good broker.

Edited by vrfour

• 3 weeks later...

or may be a trip to jap and source there?

since your form hk, then you should have friend(s) can speak jap, or from jap, or ask someone ...

we should organised a group buy....NOT intercooler or bodykit,

BUT a trip to those jap auctions that we can only dream about it!!!!

plus a holiady in osaka isnt a bad idea, may be some Tofu delievery on some downhill passes..

• 4 weeks later...

Pre export odometer certification is available in Japan for a cost of about 5,000 yen. Basically the whole cluster is removed and dismantled down to the head. Date stamps are also checked to make sure they match up and the cluster hasnt been swapped, or an aftermarket one has been installed, which is often the case with Nismo 320km clusters and GT-Rs.

I imported my R33 GTR. Like most things a TRUE bargain is hard to come by. I believe you have a better chance of picking up a good car at a good price locally, when I was looking there wasn't much to look at locally at all. Now there seems to be very good cars coming up almost weekly at very good prices. When I was looking I had much better choice in Japan. Just remember if your workshop does the right thing you won't get any of your mods back it will be returned to stock. Mine was one of the 1st to go through the RAWS deal so mine was definately done by the book, completely stock, and I paid a premium price. Having said that I have yet to see a cleaner example, with nothing missing and everything as is should be. . . I am a happy GTR owner and after nearly 2yrs of ownership and 30000kms still happy :)