SAU Community

Got Home And Coolant Overflowed Everywhere

inissane

hey ppls,

just got home today, first drive in really warm weather for a bit and just before turning off I noticed the temp gauge was up too high, flipped the bonnet to have a look and then coolant started flowing out the top of the overflow bottle for like a minute or two :D i turned the thermo on to keep cooling it

Engine is rb20 with a r32 radiator in 180sx and only a 10" thermo with front mount infront as usual and also a cooling panel. Fluid sounded like it was gurgling and boiling but plently of coolant and also browny colour so im guessing i got a blocked/rusty inside of the radiator maybe??

Guess i need a cooling system flush?? what do u guys think??

And I had the head reconditioned not long ago so im pretty sure head and gasket is ok,

cheers

If your oil isn't milky, then I'd guess the head gasket is ok...

Definately due for a flush if it's brown... several flushes of the radiator i'd assume.

One of my previous cars did this, and I knew all along that the thermostat (upper radiator hose) was dead. It doesn't retain the pressure of the system, thus making it overheat, and thus letting it all flow right back to the overflow bottle and onto the road.

LOL.. those were fun times!

Oosh is probably right actually... since the pressure in the system isn't leaking into the head or anything, then the radiator cap is letting the pressure go.

And it's a cheap fix, but if that's not it then at least you've only "wasted" a very small amount of money, best to try simple/cheap stuff before you fret on gaskets.

But for the record, a head gasket wont always result in milky oil, it depends where it's blown.

There will be no problem with the water pump.

The cap yes, do as Oosh suggested but I would also question why it got hot on the guage. While you are replacing the cap, change the thermostat at the same time. Cap should cost you about $12 and the thermostat will set you back around $25 or so