SAU Community

The Intercooler Thread

AlexCim

have done one FMIC on cheffstageas series 2 over the last 12 hours (probably took about 5ish).... A fair while but we were happy with it as its out first ever FMIC install. Personally I think we took a bit to much of a "cut and shut" approach as Adam (chefstagea) currently has no washer bottle as it was in the way and he decided to cut the sucker out... still in one piece though so we shall relocate it soon :P After driving with the FMIC installed the car feels more responsive and the induction noise has increased :D

To the point:

Can those that have done a FMIC install please post up photos or share links to their piping from plenum to the driver side end tank on the intercooler.

I'm aware that I will probably be cutting a hole in the vertical under the battery but I believe the washerbottle may also get in the way so Id like some photos to see how pople have positioned bends to dodge the washer bottle.

As for the passenger side thats easy.... 1 pipe from end tank to standard side mount pipes and it all done.

PS I have looked at the Intercooler thread and its pics but I cant see whats going on where the washer bottle is.

Thanks in advance,

chris

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have done one FMIC on cheffstageas series 2 over the last 12 hours (probably took about 5ish).... A fair while but we were happy with it as its out first ever FMIC install. Personally I think we took a bit to much of a "cut and shut" approach as Adam (chefstagea) currently has no washer bottle as it was in the way and he decided to cut the sucker out... still in one piece though so we shall relocate it soon :P After driving with the FMIC installed the car feels more responsive and the induction noise has increased :D

To the point:

Can those that have done a FMIC install please post up photos or share links to their piping from plenum to the driver side end tank on the intercooler.

I'm aware that I will probably be cutting a hole in the vertical under the battery but I believe the washerbottle may also get in the way so Id like some photos to see how pople have positioned bends to dodge the washer bottle.

As for the passenger side thats easy.... 1 pipe from end tank to standard side mount pipes and it all done.

PS I have looked at the Intercooler thread and its pics but I cant see whats going on where the washer bottle is.

Thanks in advance,

chris

just a sujestion try this it still retained the original filler etc

post-26949-1209638468_thumb.jpg

post-26949-1209638507_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much mike 40 sydney!

Anychace on one pic looking down from the pipe the goes into the cut? as in looking in from the top of the enigne bay?

just wondering, do we need to do anything to the hole that has been cut under the battery to prevent it from rust or anything? If so whats the go?

Hey guys, since a whole lot of us are asking on the forums what the go on the right type of cooler is; I thought I'd throw something in this thread just to see what everyones opinion is.

Option 1 - Cheap Cooling Pro Kit from just Jap.

Option 2 - Cheapish Cooling Pro Stealth Intercooler, essentially the same cooler as the cooling pro, but it uses stock piping. Huzzah!

Option 3 - Medium priced Trust/Greddy Spec M Intercooler; between 580-640 dollars depending on which buyer you buy them from. This is an example, I think Slide also has R34 ones for $620 dollars, however don't quote me on this.

Option 4 - Expensive as crap ARC Cooler kits. Use stock piping, however from what I've read on this forum, the core isn't as good as some of the cheaper alternatives. (This thread also states a specific TRUST V-SPL to suit WGNC34 for 1370).

Well these are the options presented from what I've read (and I do mean what I've read; not experienced myself). A Stagea series 1 and 2, can use both R34 and R33 intercooler kits. With the R34 the closest thing to the bank. The R33 just requires a little more hassle when it comes to the installation.

Nevertheless if someone could confirm this for me, or just tell me their opinion in regards to which cooler to get; I'm sure this will reduce the amount of threads in the future that ask for an opinion on which make/model intercooler to get.

Just an example for myself - I'm after doing a few light mods, full exhaust, FMIC, SAFC, EBC and not too much else. My target is 200AWKW with the stock auto gearbox and then we'll see from there =)

Edit: Also people have praised the Blitz LM intercoolers; only found one in the business traders section. 1450 delivered. While this may not be the best price, these kits generally go for over 1200.

Also I'd just like to note, the prices i'm throwing here via SAU's supporters maybe aren't the best possible prices; but they look to be pretty close.

Edited by D3RV

Hey guys, since a whole lot of us are asking on the forums what the go on the right type of cooler is; I thought I'd throw something in this thread just to see what everyones opinion is.

Option 1 - Cheap Cooling Pro Kit from just Jap.

Option 2 - Cheapish Cooling Pro Stealth Intercooler, essentially the same cooler as the cooling pro, but it uses stock piping. Huzzah!

Option 3 - Medium priced Trust/Greddy Spec M Intercooler; between 580-640 dollars depending on which buyer you buy them from. This is an example, I think Slide also has R34 ones for $620 dollars, however don't quote me on this.

Option 4 - Expensive as crap ARC Cooler kits. Use stock piping, however from what I've read on this forum, the core isn't as good as some of the cheaper alternatives. (This thread also states a specific TRUST V-SPL to suit WGNC34 for 1370).

I went with the greddy spec m and it seems to be great had never fitted one and it was very easy tho I did have to make my own brackets up for the bottom half of the core. It uses the stock pipes, only needs the normal amount cut out of the bumper hanger and you have to move he auto cooler but they supply brackets for that. Looks the part and only took a few hours to fit!

Well these are the options presented from what I've read (and I do mean what I've read; not experienced myself). A Stagea series 1 and 2, can use both R34 and R33 intercooler kits. With the R34 the closest thing to the bank. The R33 just requires a little more hassle when it comes to the installation.

Nevertheless if someone could confirm this for me, or just tell me their opinion in regards to which cooler to get; I'm sure this will reduce the amount of threads in the future that ask for an opinion on which make/model intercooler to get.

Just an example for myself - I'm after doing a few light mods, full exhaust, FMIC, SAFC, EBC and not too much else. My target is 200AWKW with the stock auto gearbox and then we'll see from there =)

Edit: Also people have praised the Blitz LM intercoolers; only found one in the business traders section. 1450 delivered. While this may not be the best price, these kits generally go for over 1200.

Also I'd just like to note, the prices i'm throwing here via SAU's supporters maybe aren't the best possible prices; but they look to be pretty close.

Sorry pc played up with last post.

Im running the greddy spec m fmic I installed it a few days ago it was my first time fitting one and it was very easy only needed to cut the bumper hanger a bit and make up some brackets for the underside of the cooler as the ones on it didnt fit due to the fan hitting the backside of the cooler. also had to move the cooler for the auto but they supplied brackets for this.

car pulls better and spools up better and it looks the part!

Anyone wanting a cooler i would def recommend the greddy spec m for easy fitting and for using the stock pipes!

hey guys need some opinions.. im going for the cheap just jap intercooler with 3 inch outlets. I am thinking of doing a custom pipe job 3 inch the whole way through instead of using the standard 1st pipe from the turbo like most kits. will this flow much better or not worth it? also do most r33 n r34 kits come with 3 or 2.5 inch pipe. my taget is 200kw is the 3 inch overkill?

well my FMIC is in and the car loves it.....

I ended up using a HDI cooler kit for a R33. The cooler's dimensions are as follows: 600x300x78

Piping wise I used the included kit which was for a r33. Used one of the stock pipes from the turbo then one of the pipes from the kit for passenger side. As for drivers side I cut a hole under the battery and used the remaining two pipes. In regards to the hole i cut I used an angle grinder and then treated the cut with a rust remover and protector from repco and put some fuel hose over the edges of the cut to protect from rust, protect piping and for a slighlty cleaner finish :down:

My front bar needed to be cut a lot to fit over the cooler and some of its piping. As for the reo bar I just cut a C section off the front for where the cooler was to be mounted.

I kept the stock airbox, just attacked it with an anglegrinder slightly where the new piping was fouling on the scoop, and have sealed up the hole i cut with some thick silver insulation tape (if this doesnt hold up (is at the moment) I will have it fiberglassed instead.)

I also had to trim the fan blades slightly and still think i might need to take another mm or 2 off them as SOMETIMES when I start up they lighlty hit the new intercooler piping. When I hear this i just pop the hood and give a push on the piping and we are all good again :D

Washerbottle has been remounted as above, thanks for that tip

As for changes in how it drives, It has ALOT more induction noise and feels more responsive. Im not sure if I will cut the front bumber out and move the number plate as I like how its semi stealth behind it plus i dont really want to attract heaps of attention.

anyway time for pics:

post-40162-1209979348_thumb.jpg

post-40162-1209979268_thumb.jpg

post-40162-1209979422_thumb.jpg

If anyone has questions fire the pms away and ill try to help as i asked more than my fair share of questions!

post-40162-1209979610_thumb.jpg

hey guys need some opinions.. im going for the cheap just jap intercooler with 3 inch outlets. I am thinking of doing a custom pipe job 3 inch the whole way through instead of using the standard 1st pipe from the turbo like most kits. will this flow much better or not worth it? also do most r33 n r34 kits come with 3 or 2.5 inch pipe. my taget is 200kw is the 3 inch overkill?

bump my last post as i wana get the cooler setup soon.. any info will help on 3 or 2.5 inch

heya all

i just won a typhoon intercooler from ebay for $80 so cant wait to get it and clean it out etc. then the hunt will be on for some pipework and joiners so ican fit it up.

then i spose it will be a trip back to the dyno to see if it makes any difference in the tune and boost levels etc.

BA xr6 intercooler installed with pics on R32 rb20

RB20, hks2530kai on 16psi, standard airbox and paper filter, gtr injectors pulled 210rwkw then tuned back to 203rwkw last week on the dyno. That seemed about the limit with the standard xr6 core with mods that i have, i am now looking for a typhoon core to give me a bit more headroom but keeping the same setup. if you havn't used it and want to sell it let me know. Or if you want more details PM me.

heya all

i just won a typhoon intercooler from ebay for $80 so cant wait to get it and clean it out etc. then the hunt will be on for some pipework and joiners so ican fit it up.

then i spose it will be a trip back to the dyno to see if it makes any difference in the tune and boost levels etc.

How'd it go?

I'm keen to put something like that on my s1 (seems like the cheaper option)

how much did the piping and bits cost?

was it difficult to fit?

Has anyone actually used the cooling pro stealth kit. My brother is looking at getting a cooler in the coming weeks and does not want to cut the chassis.

Cheers for ne help.

Sorry pc played up with last post.

Im running the greddy spec m fmic I installed it a few days ago it was my first time fitting one and it was very easy only needed to cut the bumper hanger a bit and make up some brackets for the underside of the cooler as the ones on it didnt fit due to the fan hitting the backside of the cooler. also had to move the cooler for the auto but they supplied brackets for this.

car pulls better and spools up better and it looks the part!

Anyone wanting a cooler i would def recommend the greddy spec m for easy fitting and for using the stock pipes!

when you say stock pipes did you bring the inlet and outlet through the stock holes on passenger side? because thats what i want to do to prevent cutting holes in my car and making it defectable.

i also dont wana cut my reinforcment apart but theres not alot of room otherwise.

can anyone point me in the direction of this approach if possible. cheers

• 2 months later...

hey my cooler just arrived at my mechanics ( REcustoms at westal ) its a cooling pro stage 2 kit http://justjap.com/store/product.php?produ...at=0&page=1

just wondering being a NEO is has teh engine cover ... will that have to be removed completly for the install? ... and i have notice a heap of your taking shots of the coolers ... could i get some shots of the piping goin across the engine bay if anyone has a SERIS 2 NEO ... even better ....thanks for your help

hey my cooler just arrived at my mechanics ( REcustoms at westal ) its a cooling pro stage 2 kit http://justjap.com/store/product.php?produ...at=0&page=1

just wondering being a NEO is has teh engine cover ... will that have to be removed completly for the install? ... and i have notice a heap of your taking shots of the coolers ... could i get some shots of the piping goin across the engine bay if anyone has a SERIS 2 NEO ... even better ....thanks for your help

hope this helps i trimmed it on a bench grinder slowly bit at a time till was correct .

post-26949-1216231075_thumb.jpg

post-26949-1216231123_thumb.jpg

hope this helps i trimmed it on a bench grinder slowly bit at a time till was correct .

DAMN! ... that looks beatiful .... im going to tell pete and ray at RE customs to do that .... mmm .. asoon as my parts arive from just jap ... taking there time getting a bit peved as i have already paid for the product and labour when i had the cash .. but no parts need my cooler for next weekend goin mt bulla gonna be icey cold hope my battery water dont freeze :S

howdy . notice your car has a hose coming out of the intake plumbing (the pipe before the j pipe) does your one go to the power steering pump like mine does? what did you connect it to after you put the fmic piping kit on?