SAU Community

Why Drift?

Do you dorfit?

I was thinking about this the other night... what could possibly motivate someone to push their car to the very limit and beyond... cause untold damage to it and run such a high risk of crashing and or mechanical strain/failure :)

Then again.... driving in a straight line just dosent make any sense :) :twisted:

[b:309d744247][i:309d744247]Why do you drift ?[/b:309d744247][/i:309d744247]

I do it casue it shows control and is right on the edge and you don't have to be doing 160-200 kph. Its really interesting my advise is to practice at low speed in the wet first get used to hanging you back out and learn to feather the throttle. and to keep it under control.

then you can learn the otehr tricks like using the handbrake to start a drift or clutch lock.

power is not important when my car was N/A @ deca alot of people were surprised.

and an option vid I have the winner of the drift competion is driving a 92 ps ae86.

meggala

Guest 33GTS25

everyone has a different point at which they glean excitement from driving a motor vehicle.

i personally have a few roads that i travel fairly often(as most of us do) and i try to take corners at faster speeds each time i am on them, some are long sweepers where others are negatively cambered or even those bigass roundabouts that just scream out to be pushed

my point is that we all like to push the envelope to find where our ego starts and our ability finishes hence the reason i like all forms of motorsport from drags to track and drift

plus its always a good way to upset significant other :twisted:

Guest [ryan]

Drifting isnt the quickest way of turning a corner either.. sure it looks impressive but i dunno =]

I was playing my friend on GT3 the other day, I was drifting like nuts in my 180sx whilst he was racing like normal - he kicked my arse

i raced him again driving properly and beat him by 10 seconds

both had identical cars....

Drifting isn't to go faster tho, its a style. There is no way that you could EVER keep up with an identical car taking racing curves.

I personally haven't ever gone drifting in my car, i have had it slightly sideways before, but not much... i am a slow driver and am already too scared to damage the car as it is..

if i go to the track on the 16th, i will whack the stockeis on and try.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K guys heres my take on drifting... sorry Do ri fu to

Back in 1994, I was living in Kobe Japan on a working holiday with my Relatives. I was working at a 5 star hotel and made many friends while there. Most of them were car nuts like ourselves and their cars included 91 R32 GTR, S13 silvia, Trueno and R32 Gtst. Most young people under 25 in Japan dont drive around in new cars and drive Modded chu- sha ( second hand cars)

A friend of a friend showed us of drifting action from Osaka on Video and they would try to copy their moves in their cars. Its basicaly a fad that someone started and everyone has copied.

Yeah its fun, hard on Ur car and a good way 2 chew up Ur tyres. Its like rallying on tarmac.

Personally, i'd enjoy drifting using someone elses car :)

thanks akira

your right about the tyres thats why I use s/hand stuff at $60-70 each.

there is a lot of skill required to do it right you should practice in an open area like a car park first so you cant hit any thing. practice getting the back out and how it feels and learn to catch it don't worry about speed or any thing yet just take your time. then as you get better with more confidence you will be able to go faster and faster. but alwaysstay in controll.

meggala

• 3 weeks later...

I drift my car every chance I get!

I love feeling of that car slide around the corner...

especially when road is wet my atessa system work over time! :)

it's not really about how fast you turn corner, it more than that. it's how you turn corner with style...

ps. People behinds look at you like teenager dickhead! there he goes! LOL.

FYI I never had accidents of any kinds, I know my limits and there is place for everything!

Some one BUY ME NEW TIRE!!! :) being 4wd my tires chews up quite a bit!

cheers

Joe

I don't know about others, but my definition of drift is sliding completley through a corner - from entry to exit. Thats also the same definition that the japs use, if the anime Initial D is anything to go by. Given that, I've never drifted in my life but I sure do powerslide out of corners a lot 8)

Guest [ryan]

Ever since seeing Initial D i've been hooked on Drift.. I used to like it before that, and was pretty curious about what it would be like.. But now i'm just plain hooked. Initial D has sparked a love for the AE86 for me that's for sure, hehe.

Check out this one (See attached Image)

=Ryan=