SAU Community

Who's Here Thats A Mechanic?

Kennedy

well I'm a mechanic at one of the Midas stores. Its a great place to work, conditions are pretty awesome, and pay is good too. Most of the mechanics there are getting 600+ for 38hours. We have a good boss but, and we are one of the best in the country. It IS a good job, just make sure you really love cars.

im the other way round, in my 3rd year and im looking forward to qualifying so i can try something different, hopefully something in the same industry tho, but less dirty, as i think its pretty hard to get into uni without vce

Should look around. At the Uni of Newcastle they have Open Foundation, which is a course you do to get you into uni. Thats what I did and heaps of other people I know have done it as well. Its kinda cruisy compared to the vce or hsc. It went for 12 months when I did it but now I think its only a 6 month course.

Its so popular here that I would guess that many unis in victoria would have a similar program, after all the more people they have at their uni the more money they get.

LOL !! The grass is always greener scenario :rolleyes:

I've been a mechanic ( and always will be I guess... ) and couldn't wait to get out just because of the routine nature of most mechanical work. I then went to spanners on commercial aircraft engines ( even more boring than cars ) and now I'm at a desk and work on cars for extra $'s on the weekends etc and that to me is the perfect balance.

So what I'm suggesting is, do a TAFE course like "Fix you own car" or somethig like that and see how you like it before you do anything rash. Then if you like it, pursure it as a trade but you might find with a bit of knowledge and the ability to work on your own car, it might be enough to satisfy you. One thing that has been said already is that to be a GOOD mechanic you must be passionate about cars. Otherwise you'll probably become a feature on a "Shonky Mechanics" segment on A Current Affair :P

i am currently looking for an apprenticeship with mechanics, more the high performance side of things, doing oil changes day in day out just bores me. i have had experience in the field already and i am going in that direction. what are the chances of getting into a fairly good high performance place these days?

just remember its never as fun to work on somebody elses car as it is your own :lol:

that comment pretty much sums it up :D

i get sick of working on my own cars sometimes, but doin pos magnas and shit all day and coming home to your cars that also need attention is not fun.

though if i worked in an office, id rather clean toilets hehe, i did 1 weeks work experience in year 12 at the local council offices and i decided its down right boring, and now im a self employed tradesman instead, new jobs each few weeks, not the same shit factory unit for 20 years, and i generally working on the upmarket homes in the coastal suburbs, with awesome views, etc couldnt do anything else i reckon :(

trust me go into a performance workshop and sit in there for a full day and its downright boring as shit, and the worst thing is u gotta do it every single day for next 20 years or whatever B)

only advantage everyone sees is the contacts u meet to get parts cheaper, but that doesnt make up for the rest of the bad points thats for sure :)

my 2 cents worth

Brad

Edited by StageZilla