SAU Community

32gtr How To Get From 300 To 350@wheels?

Skorj

a couple of months ago i did a bit of work to my 32 gtr, which consisited of set of HKS GT-SS turbo's

700cc injectors,

300zx AFM's,

and car already had,

Power FC

3" Zorst and front pipes,

cam gears,

clutch,

i think thaz about it,

the HKS GT-SS turbs turned out to be a little smaller than expected, and i got a dyno result of 291kw@all 4 on 19psi

was told that if i removed my cat to get a little better exhaust flow i'd get 300@all 4.

ive been driving around for a few months with 291 under foot, and feel the need for more now.. :D

i was wondering if i have therefore done the wrong thing with the gt-ss turbs if i want more power?? the specs on them say u can run 1.6bar.. just over 23psi

but basically i wana hit 350kw or so at all 4 without drastically changing setup if possible?

i know fuel pump will need to go, what about cams? dump pipes? or larger diamater zorst etc??

or any ideas on how to achieve the extra 50kw or so at wheels from this setup?

cheers

i would say if you want 350 real kw at all 4 wheels, then you need to go for some serious turbos. we're talkin 2530's, gt-rs or perhaps a big single. In your case, i would just upp the boost a bit more. But i wouldnt run more than 1.3 bar on a stock engine (which is about what you are running at the moment). If you want to run 1.6 bar, you need to rebuild. Even then, most of the guys running about 20-22 psi are getting figures around the 300awkw mark

there is nothing wrong withe lowmounts.

but this is the reason i personaly prefer a single.

to get the most out of them your going to have to run the 1.6or so bar to get that power.

just as a referance(no intension on opening a can of worms) i ran a t04e on my 26 the specs are as follows.

pon cam 260,s

87 mm trust pistons.

550cc s5 rx7 injectors

autronic smc

msd dis4 with s4 rx7 twin post coils.(3inch spark with no leads on them!!)

cleaned up ports on the head

1.5inch daiameter runner manifold. 12inch long or so

big cooler.

turbo: 60trim 7blade comp (59.5mm)ind 76major

.7ar front cover

"o" trim rear.

.86 twin scroll turbine housing.

plain bearing. fullboost at 3500.

325.9kw atw on 16 psi with 95% duty on the injectors.(98 fuel)

a sweet combo till the thrust bearing f**ked out.

backed up on two seperate dynos.(sas and one in gosford)

lowmounts are good but you need to run heaps of boost.

Edited by T04GTR

Pity a lot of the GT-SS threads are in the NSW section and not the FI section (searching NSW will give you more answeres for GT-SS)

Im using GT-SS, motor is of for rebuild in as many days so ill be running with results around Chrissy...

But the GT-SS IMO, is going to be at the end of the tether for 350 at the treads.

Im thinking around the 300-330 mark is more reasonable (but its always dyno dependant).

A number of other cars here in Vic are spot on the 300-330 range... 14psi on by 3000rpm or there abouts i think.... depending on thier specs which differ from car to car obviously.

Pretty neat turbos with great response, but they arent 2530's in terms of what they will make.

i've heard of ss's making 320awkw. that was on a 33 vspec with stock bottom end. 044, 6xx cc inj's, pfc, timing wheels. and, from memory, that was about it. i'll see if i can track him down and ask him exactly what he did.

d

Edited by djhatton

Bottom line is, 350awkw, GT-SS, you need massive boost to make that power.

Do a search for user 600hp, they have made 360kw on a built JUN motor with massive boost and a race pipe with GT-SS turbos.

As has been said already, if your target is 350awkw, change your turbos IMHO

GT-SS are a fantastic turbo, but you will really need to push them to their absolute limit to make that power.

Personally I would rather opt for a larger choice of twin turbos that can happily make more power at less boost.

2530's are an obvious choice.

i'd see how far you can push your current setup before you splash out on new goodies. perhaps speak with some other tuners with lots of gtr's under their belt and see if they can offer what you're after.

having said all that, there's no point in pushing your combination past its limits. its a fine balancing act really...

d

Get yourself a set of cams, but in saying that this should be under advisment with a tuner that has done alot of GTR's. At least then you have a performance path to follow.

IMHO go for a freer flowing exhaust - might just be the cat in your case, cams with adj timing gears - more air and fuel.

The GT-SS turbo's are great but be realistic with the gains, 300-330awkw is all you'll proberly get on pump fuel.

a couple of months ago i did a bit of work to my 32 gtr, which consisited of set of HKS GT-SS turbo's

700cc injectors,

300zx AFM's,

and car already had,

Power FC

3" Zorst and front pipes,

cam gears,

clutch,

i think thaz about it,

the HKS GT-SS turbs turned out to be a little smaller than expected, and i got a dyno result of 291kw@all 4 on 19psi

was told that if i removed my cat to get a little better exhaust flow i'd get 300@all 4.

ive been driving around for a few months with 291 under foot, and feel the need for more now.. :D

i was wondering if i have therefore done the wrong thing with the gt-ss turbs if i want more power??  the specs on them say u can run 1.6bar.. just over 23psi

but basically i wana hit 350kw or so at all 4 without drastically changing setup if possible?

i know fuel pump will need to go, what about cams? dump pipes? or larger diamater zorst etc??

or any ideas on how to achieve the extra 50kw or so at wheels from this setup?

cheers

ok i think you can still achieve your 350 with the gt-ss BUT you will need all you ducks in a row

first you need some nice cams Tomei poncams 260 9.15mm very nice cam and very easy to install as they are a bolt in

second you said you had adjustable cam wheels YES you will need to spend on the dyno tuning the cams critical for getting the most out of a combo

third you will need the a big free flowing exhaust minium 3.5" i would think as the small low mount turbos are extremely sensive to any back pressure when it comes to getting the top end hp. 3"single piece dumps are well worth the money, i made my own.

fourth descreen your airflow meters and install a custom 3" piping from afm to turbo as everyone stresses 3' dumps BUT the same amount of air must get into the turbo as getts out and you dont want any restriction on the inlet of the turbo some good filter would not go a stray (i like the apexi units that bolt straight onto the z32 afms)

fifth your going to need some boost 20 to 24 psi i would guess

reason i know this is i have made 397rwkw with the slightly larger GT2560R which should be around 360awkw at a guess at 20 psi on a std motor with those poncams

other thing that would help but i dont think essential porting of the head exhaust port is the one that you can get the most benefit from. Good manifolds HKS dont both with the SS chinas not worth it. An upsized intercooler wouldn't hurt but i gain my power on a std unit but have upgrdaed now.

pete

best of luck and i would try all this first because if you need to upgrade turbos everything already done but you may not need to. my 2 c

Bottom line is, 350awkw, GT-SS, you need massive boost to make that power.

Do a search for user 600hp, they have made 360kw on a built JUN motor with massive boost and a race pipe with GT-SS turbos.

Yeah....360awkw that ran 117mph... He said it was slow shifting, but 117mph is more mid 200's not mid 300's.....

You will struggle to get another 50rwkw out of the GT-SS i think. If you want 50rwkw more, then i'd jump straight to the 2530's. Even if you did get 50rwkw more out of the GT-SS turbos, the turbos and engine/tune would be on the edge, its not worth it.

also if your think of upgrading the turbo alway keep in mind the garret GT2560R 707160-5 ~$2600

and i hope on pulling my gtr back on the road to make around 420rwkw with these turbos on pump fuel at respectable boost levels 20 to 22 psi