SAU Community

Ppg Synchro Gear Set

Guys,

Its time i look at the gearset for the GTR, since my engine will be making 350-400kw at akk four.

Ive seen PPG offer a 1-4 Synchro gearset that is Helical Cut so i assume this is the same as the OS Giken gear set.

Does anyone have any experience with this gearset and how do you think it would hold up?

Cheers

Guys,

Its time i look at the gearset for the GTR, since my engine will be making 350-400kw at akk four.

Ive seen PPG offer a 1-4 Synchro gearset that is Helical Cut so i assume this is the same as the OS Giken gear set.

Does anyone have any experience with this gearset and how do you think it would hold up?

Cheers

I have an OS cross mission.And i drove the first gtr with a ppg gear set. Simple answer: NO ONE HAS A CRYSTAL BALL TO PREDICT YOUR DRIVING STYLE AND WHAT PURPOSE YOU USE THE CAR FOR.

a stock box will do fine for 350-400kw at the wheesls? Ive been told the extra torque from the RB30 will lessen its chances of holding up.

I am going to use the car for street and maybe one or two passes down the quarter until i get a good time.

I have seen GTR boxes let go when the car wheel spins and then grabs traction due to the sudden load, that is my main concern i am also aware that they done like being smashed into gear

Cheers

Edited by GTR_Junkie

If your nice to it i couldnt see why not.

What gearboxs likes being smashed into gear? I mean saying a GTR box doesnt like it, really doesnt make point that there is one out there that does

im sure we'd all love to know what box will take total abuse, nothing is indestructable.

a synchro box is a syncro box. fullstop

as far as im aware all the aftermarket gearsets that use synchros still use the STANDARD nissan ones.

so they are all limmited in the speed of shifting unfortonatly.

a synchro box is a syncro box. fullstop

as far as im aware all the aftermarket gearsets that use synchros still use the STANDARD nissan ones.

so they are all limmited in the speed of shifting unfortonatly.

exactly. If you want to be able to slam through the gears then dog engagement is the only way to go. Pretty much all the dog engagement boxes i know of are straight cut gears too so if you are going to use it for street you will need to be prepared for the extra noise and the need to change your shifting style to suit the dog rings otherwise you will be pulling down the box very often. On the track or strip nothing will beat a box with straight cut gears and dog engagement.

How exactly do you need to change your style?

You have to get used to forcing or punching the gear in on the up shift, rev match on the down shift. Having one myself I have to say it does take a little getting used to, but its not hard. I love the noise it puts out....sort of tells everyone you mean business :(

hmmm yeah i want to know specifically what's wrong with the par gearsets.

and dogboxes can be a pita around and about. most people learn to drive "around" the box cos they AREN"T user friendly. i've seen plenty of people sit at the lights cccrrruuunnnch... pause... crruunnnnccchh.... longer pause. cerunchclick into first... :huh: and sometimes they'll just lock you out of a gearchange if it doesn't like the revs you've got planned for your shift.

having said all that, some are supposed to be still streetable. my mate has a ppg bits in his rex and its noisy, but quite user-friendly.

d